fbpx

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Jon Orr

Administrator
    May 1, 2019 at 11:44 am

How will you spark curiosity this week in your lessons?

The Action step from Lesson 2-2 requested that you do one of the following:

• Option 1: Modify one of your lessons this week.
    • Option 2: Choose a new lesson.

How does this lesson impact how you might lead your math lessons?

• This discussion was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Kyle Pearce.
    • This discussion was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Kyle Pearce.
  • Robert Barth

February 3, 2021 at 1:08 pm

Here is a lesson I will use this week. https://teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/5fff0c0e6fd6150cedd0d28a?collections=5fe0e721a5c02c0d25081f7f

It uses a notice and wonder on a persepective picture, and we get to talking about why we cannot assume measurements in geometry. I have done this before, but now in COVID I am converting all my lessons into DESMOS so that kids at home can still be active in answering questions.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 4, 2021 at 6:56 am

Awesome. How did this lesson from the workshop potentially impact how you’ll deliver this Desmos activity? Any new take aways?

• Lena Tunon

February 3, 2021 at 8:10 pm

I love the “cover the floor” lesson from the curious tasks list. We have been working on multiplication using arrays, and I love how this bridges the concrete array to the open array, setting up students for area and perimeter. We already use notice and wonder in our classroom, so I will start with act 1, then give students time to notice and wonder before moving on to act two. Students have already participated in a unit related to measurement, so I am hopeful that they will ask questions about dimensions. If they don’t this is a great place to reinforce the language from previous units. We’re in remote learning right now, but teachers are teaching from our school building. I am on the lookout for places in our school to film a similar video, which would be a great way to reconnect students to their school building while they are learning virtually.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 4, 2021 at 6:57 am

Very cool! Let us know how it goes!

• Stephen Prince

February 9, 2021 at 5:30 am

Where can you find the Same perimeter, different area video (with the sticks) ?

I would like to use it with the next stage of exploring area.

• Maryanna Biedermann

February 17, 2021 at 1:43 pm

Hi, here is the link:

Perimeter Jumble

If you highlight and click it offers “go to ……” Super cool, I am going to use this too along with Factris game.

• Bailey Mortensen

February 5, 2021 at 9:59 am

I tried “shark bait” with my daughter who is in Kindergarten. She played with some cubes and guessed the worm was 20 cubes long before we even got to act 2. As I reflect, I realize how valuable it is to have a classroom community where different estimates and ideas can be shared. I usually like working with students individually so I can go at their pace, but with this problem based style of teaching that can engage all students I would like to have a group of students who can discuss and compare their predictions and methods.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 7, 2021 at 7:20 am

I think balance is key. It is great to have opportunities to work with students in small groups, but it is also great to give them opportunities to productively struggle in a mathematics community.

• Jody Soehner

February 6, 2021 at 2:26 pm

I tried my own Kitkat videos. I had my daughter open a Kitkat and take a big bite, set it down and start opening a second. I didn’t get a lot of quantifiable questions so for act 2, I added a note hanging on my fridge at the beginning of the video that said, “No more than ONE chocolate bar a day.” They then viewed the act 1 portion leading into her eating portions of two more bars. They can’t really see total amounts left for each bar. For act 3, I showed the remaining portions of the three bars. This was how I introduced adding and subtracting fractions.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 7, 2021 at 7:21 am

Awesome! Note that often it takes time to build that culture in your classroom so you might not get a ton of sharing initially. Keep at it and help along by sharing your own notices and wonders to help nudge them along. Soon enough, you’ll have to cut some off to keep moving it along 🙂

• DAVID DIEHL

February 7, 2021 at 4:29 pm

I looked through the tasks and noticed “Charge”. My 8th grade class has been looking at Scatter plots this unit but my students are struggling with the concept of slope and y-intercept in context. I think I could have used this task at the beginning but doing it as a lesson/set of lessons at the end of the unit I think can work too. I am going to try “Charge” tomorrow. My plan is to give them the picture and let them notice and wonder then reveal more as suggested then use the Desmos. We may not get to the Desmos unti the next class, depending on how guys develop their understanding of slope and y-interecpt and ask questions and/or connect what they have already learned about slope and y-intercept.

I think seeing another way to look at slope and y-intercept once we eventually label some of the numbers they come up with as such could help solidify already presented content and then we can start to change numbers to see how they adjust their thinking.

Thanks!

• Jon Orr

Administrator
      February 8, 2021 at 5:55 am

@david.diehl You’re right, Charge is great to build a need to bring in and discuss slope as a rate and I’ve used it that way. I’ve also used it the way you’re thinking of using it this year — As a follow up to apply slope as a rate. This is a great use of the task as well! Desmos is a great tool to help make those connections easily. Let us know how it goes.

• Scott McNutt

February 9, 2021 at 12:25 am

I went through the “Doritos Roulette” 3-Act-Math Task to reach the learning goal of experimental probability and proportional reasoning. I love this because the notice and wonder video does not give much information but has someone opening a Doritos Roulette bag. I know when I watched the video, I was asking questions like, “What are the Doritos Roulette? What is the ratio of hot to regular chips? Are these chips any good? (Of course, they are right, they are Doritos) But I am sure my 7th-grade students will have no problem wondering questions that will help lead to the learning goal of proportional reasoning and probability.

Then having an estimation of how many chips are in the bag (Low, High, prediction), then think of a fair probability of getting a hot Dorito in comparison to the regular Dorito. (Most Likely a 1:1 ratio prediction, but always fun to hear because I am sure students in the class may have tried these chips)

Having the students go through the anticipation by stating what information we need to know and how we will get that information to help us quantify the number of Doritos and the probability of eating a hot Dorito.

Then slowly release the information in act two of the task allows students to answer the focus question. Having students work in their collaborative groups to see if they can place the ratio of hot chips to total chips in the bag and how many hot chips in total they would expect to be in the bag total.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 9, 2021 at 6:55 am

Sounds like lots of big take aways here! Curious to hear how it goes when you try that lesson in your class! Keep us posted!

• Michelle Grebe

February 9, 2021 at 9:45 am

I filled out the template for G. Fletchy’s Fish Tank task. It was helpful to think through how I would use it in the classroom. I attached my filled in curious lesson template, thinking through the elements. Planning for curiosity, I see now, is more than just showing the video, but creating anticipation and thinking of what information to withhold.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 11, 2021 at 7:52 am

Great job on setting up your curiosity template! I agree saving the timer for after the initial notice and wonder would be helpful! Keep those ideas coming and open.

• John Gaspari

February 9, 2021 at 9:01 pm

This week was the start back to in-class learning. I sparked curiosity but uprooting the norm that was our classroom before the break. I defronted my classroom and scattered the desks so that they were no longer in neat, organized rows. I had the desks facing a new direction (only for the times I need a projector). I have 2 whiteboards on opposite sides of the classroom so a pinned/taped Wipebook chartpaper (VNP surfaces) to add additional areas for groupwork. This was my start of a “Thinking Classroom – Peter Liljedahl.” I started yesterday with on non-curricular task and did Peter’s “How many 7’s?” activity with random groups of 3 on the VNP surfaces. I began by having students stand, not sit, at their desks while I explained the activity (nothing was written on any board). The activity started with How many 7’s are needed for the numbers 1 to 100 and then when each groups was ready I had them move on to how 7’s are needed for the numbers 1 to 1000. The collaboration I saw truly showed real thinking and having others students try to explain other groups students kept everyone interested in what was being said. This was just day one and it was a success. For today, I needed to try a curriculum task, one they been struggling with online, so I ran my lesson the same as yesterday in random groups working at the VNP surfaces with instructions given orally. I gave the groups the freedom to create their own theoretical probability within certain parameters using coloured tiles in a paper bag. I anticipated and planned for the progression of the lesson with further questions. I did not answer any questions a group other member could answer or I’d provide a hint. Students were encouraged to look at and ask about other groups’ work. Both days, the consolidation was so much more successful because I could use the strategies displayed in the student work. No plans for me stopping with the start of my “Thinking Classroom” and the strategies of the workshop.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 11, 2021 at 7:54 am

This is fantastic to hear, @john-gaspari! Awesome work! Glad to hear that you’re diving right in and seeing some positive results! This can be difficult at first as you shift the culture, but it sounds like you’re well on your way. Congrats!

• Maryanna Biedermann

February 17, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Learners have been integrating the horizontal and vertical number lines into the coordinate grid…I am choosing a practice problem from the last lesson in the book to expand on this idea of context first.

The problem has a diagram on a coordinate grid with six points and gives the ordered pairs of each point. The learning objectives are to understand that distance is in absolute value and the relationships of horizontal and vertical points describe situations. I am nervous that I have misunderstood or am doing this wrong, that it is too “withholding” or I am not recognizing all that I am giving.

Modified version is

1) Providing a hexagon without ordered pairs or gridlines but with the Center of Town labeled as a point; include a compass rose on the side and give the context, “Sophia likes to go for runs. Her parents let her run by herself as long as doesn’t go farther than 1 and 1/2 miles away from the center of town.” Share by highlighting the path from one point to the next;

2) Ask for Notice & Wonders; anticipate, “why would she do that?”, How far did she travel? What is the distance between the places? How long did it take her? Focus on “how far did she travel?” and “How far is each place from the center of town?”

3) Give the context then model the distance from the Center of Town with my finger, east and north, to Home, then unveil coordinates of Home (a, 1/2) , Bank (-1, b), Library (c, d) , unveil distance of Post Office is 1/2 mile from the Library and the Cafe and that School is 1 and 1/4 miles south of Home.

4) Look for students to identify the center of town as origin and that horizontal have same y value and vertical have same x value; find distance between points then perimeter.

Sadly, for my students, sparking curiosity is going to take me some time as I need to re-vamp my mindset…. This was hard for me: I was much too wordy and lost track of my objective. I think that eventually this will be able to be multi-leveled, with the information given/prompting question.

• Holly Blahun

February 28, 2021 at 3:23 pm

I have a lesson coming up on Scale Diagrams in Math 11. I was thinking of having students do a floor plan of our classroom, but work together (aka. only draw one piece of the classroom to scale). Once everyone took their measurements, I’d draw each piece on the SMART board (using their most likely different scales) and ask them why it doesn’t look like our classroom – or why can’t all of our tables fit?!

I will withhold what units to use (real-life and diagram), but am struggling with the rest of the curiosity path. Any tips?

Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now