Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Kelli's Progress Log

Posted by Kelli Fisher on February 2, 2020 at 8:31 am

I have been teaching middle school mathematics for over 20 years and as I have been learning new things about mathematics teaching in my Math Intervention class, my goals are the following:

1.  I want to continue to encourage my students to take responsibility for their learning when they feel defeated in school/learning math and find new ways that will inspire them to learn.  I have been using Growth Mindset as it is part of my curriculum.  I am always looking for other things to add/enrich to this concept for my struggling students, who need this so much !

2.  I have an online curriculum I use in my classroom (Math 180) to fill in foundation gaps and need an efficient way to make time for this curriculum but also assist with their academic class needs when they arise.  I also need fresh ideas of how to bring content to the students that will bring excitement and interest.  I want to find ways to make my students want to be invested in their learning.

3.  Transitions in class seem to be one of the biggest time wasters for me.  I do not have my own classroom and live as the cart lady, as my office is at the opposite side of the building where I actually teach.  I need to find ways to help myself be more efficient with time and not let my excuses get in the way.

4.   I have been teaching Middle School Mathematics for over 20 years.  I am always wanting to find new ways/new experiences I can share with my students to not only help them learn and be inspired but see that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.  There is another goal here I haven’t figured out yet……..but I will add it when I do.  : )

Mary Manske replied 2 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Mary Manske

February 3, 2020 at 8:03 pm

1. I’m not sure if this is entirely what you are talking about but I have had huge success this year with more structured notice & wonder opporartunities. I have my most reluctant students raising their hands to volunteer something almost every time.