Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Justice Justice and what that means for First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples in Canada

• Justice and what that means for First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples in Canada

Posted by Heather Morin on June 12, 2020 at 1:26 pm

As a First Nations woman from Saddle Lake Alberta I will continue to tell the true history of First Nations in Canada I incorporate world views of all cultures in my teaching. First Nations people are treated the same way in Canada as people of color are treated in the United States – we still deal with stereotypes, we deal with racism when we go into stores, clerks thinking we are going to steal something – we have a justice system in Canada who doesn’t care that there are missing and murdered First Nations, Métis and Inuit women and young girls – they must have brought it on themselves – we have a government in Canada who does not care about our traditional lands that we pick medicine, berries and hunt and fish on because they believe a pipeline is more profitable than caring and respecting the original people’s of Canada – so what we can continue to do is teach the true story of Canada and recognize the First Nations where you teach if you need any resources email me dataqueenhm@gmail.com I have an awesome Cree mathematics resource – many of the things we learn in Math can be taught with the lens of People of Asian descent, people of color and First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples

Please don’t hang your heads when you read this(I say that because that’s what most people do) continue to stand together with all races – no matter who they are- when you are a teacher and you have students that are non- Indigenous incorporate thier worldview and they will feel a sense of belonging in the classroom and at the school

I apologize if I offended anyone but our reality is out there in Canada

Kyle Pearce replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    August 2, 2020 at 9:41 am

Hi Heather,

I’m disappointed in myself that I didn’t see this post until now.
    You are so right when it comes to Canada’s dark past with First Nations, Metis and Inuit people. The world looks to Canada as a “leader” when it comes to human rights, yet somehow the terrible events of our past have gone completely under the radar.

Thank you for bringing this social justice issue to the forefront.

I’m curious if you have your math resource available online and/or if you’d be willing to share a link to it here so other Math Moment Makers can have a look?