Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Introduce Yourself

Posted by Jon on April 24, 2019 at 9:20 pm

Hey you.

YES YOU! 

Don’t just lurk around in the shadows, PLEASE SAY HI! 

In this section of the forum we want you to share your story. 

Simply start a new thread with a title like “New Member: Mike Morrison from Newcastle (UK)” and tell us: 

• Who you are? 
    • Where are you? 
    • What’s your role in education?
    • What grade levels do you teach? 
    • What’s your background? 
    • Any cool stories to tell? 
    • Why did you join the Making Math Moments Academy? 

Don’t be afraid to share the nitty gritty here either. This community is only accessible to members.

We want every individual to feel like they’re joining a family, and now you’re part of the family you can help us by welcoming others into this community too. 

Once you’ve introduced yourself we’d really appreciate it if you say “hi” to someone else that’s just become a member. 

Just look in the “Introduce Yourself” section of the forum and say “hi” to a few new members.

• This discussion was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  Kyle Pearce.
    Jon replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 188 Members · 273 Replies
  • 273 Replies
  • Kate Nielsen

May 3, 2019 at 5:28 pm

My name is Kate Nielsen. I live in a small town called Tremonton, Utah. I work at an Expeditionary Learning Public Charter School (K-12). I teacher 6, 7, and 8th grade math. I started teaching when my children were all in school. I got tired of parents telling their children they couldn’t do math. Everyone can do math, you just have to find a way to teach them.

I went to college at Brigham Young University 30 years ago. I received a BS and MS in Pure Math with a minor in Statistics. I helped to program F14/A6 Flight Simulators for a couple years, then raised a family of 2 boys and 2 girls. My husband works in the Space Industry.

I joined the community because I am looking for new and different ways to reach my students. I liked what I was hearing/learning from the Workshop. I’m excited to get to know everyone and gain some wisdom and insights from all of you.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      May 6, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Welcome to the Academy! So glad to have you with us to continue the learning 🙂

• Iris Windom

July 7, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Hi Kate. Nice to meet you. I teach grade 6 as well. I also am looking for way to engage my learners.

• Melanie Hellmann

July 16, 2020 at 11:25 am

I live “down” the street in Pleasant View! I know exactly where you live 🙂

• Stephanie Pritchett

January 3, 2022 at 10:24 pm

Hi Kate,

I live in West Jordan and teach 7,8, and 9 special education math at South Jordan elementary. I attended BYU as well. After I raised my family I got into teaching. I’m looking to engage my math students as well.

• Michel Page

May 8, 2019 at 11:16 am

Hi everyone,

Michel Pagé here. I am a principal in North Bay, Ontario for a French catholic board. My teaching background is in languages and arts. So, I am always looking for ways to learn more about math pedagogy in order to better support my teachers as we are transitioning to a more student focused learning envrionment.

I am looking forward to exchanging with you all and to continue on my own learning path.

• Jon

Administrator
      May 8, 2019 at 2:24 pm

Hi Michel,

It’s great that you are continuing your learning. I’m amazed at your desire to position yourself in a great place to support your teachers. Looking forward to learning with you in this community.

• Diane Fortune

May 11, 2019 at 10:25 am

Thank you! My name is Diane, and, after teaching in Washington state for over 22 years, my husband and I are currently living in the Republic of Panama. I’m teaching First Grade at an international school here and just love being here. At my school in the US, we had many opportunities to earn continuing ed clock hours within my school district. It’s been a challenge here to find courses I want to take to update my continuing teaching certificate. I’m hoping that I can earn some continuing ed clock hours while learning more ways to make math real in my classroom!

• Ami Feldman

November 12, 2020 at 9:49 am

Hi Diane and Stephanie

My name is Ami Feldman. I also teach first grade and am excited to learn some new ways and am looking forward to being part of this community with other first grade teachers in particular.

• Stephanie Milne

May 13, 2019 at 4:22 pm

Hi, my name is Stephanie Milne. I have worked in schools for the last 13 years and I am currently the Kinder-5th grade math interventionist/math instructional coach for my school district in Amarillo, TX. I am the only person in my school district that holds this position so I am here to collaborate and learn from others. I also hope to grow professionally and learn new ideas that I can share with my teachers.

• Jon

Administrator
      May 13, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Welcome Stephanie,

We know what’s it’s like to be a “lone wolf” in your own school. We look forward to learning alongside you!

Jon

• Denise Currie

May 13, 2019 at 7:59 pm

Hi all!!

So happy to be here, been following the podcasts / webinars … love them all!!  About 5 years ago our BC math association sent a couple people on a mission to the BC interior to deliver pretty much Peter Liljedahl’s SFU Math teaching ideas and I’ve been hooked ever since. With a student teacher in my class this year we have totally enjoyed watching math class be dynamic, interactive and filled with math discussion. Inspiring!

I am looking forward to great things ahead in our district math program as more teachers are grasping the idea of teaching conceptually and allowing real math to happen, every day. It’s inspiring. Looking forward to watching this Academy grow!

• Amber Pelletier

May 14, 2019 at 3:58 pm

New Member: Amber Pelletier from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I’m an early years math coach who works at three different schools each year, supporting Nursery to grade 3 teachers.

I’ve been following and using resources from Jon and Kyle for a long time now and am excited to be a part of this forum!

• Vanessa Wright

May 15, 2019 at 10:48 pm

Hello, my name is Vanessa. I live in Tasmania, Australia.

I teacher year 7 and 10 this year, but this changes every year and can also be 8’s and 9’s (tends to be mainly 8’s). We are coming up to half way through our school year.

I have been listening to the podcasts often, and have got so much out of them. I am really interested in improving my use of vertical writing surfaces and very keen to get my head around spiralling and what it will look like in class. I use low floor high ceiling tasks, but would like to get better at it. I had a realisation after listening to Peter Liljedal that I teach conceptually  but still spoon feed the students when I give them tasks and they look at me blankly, so I would like to move away from this.

Looking forward to what the academy has to offer to support my growth as a maths teacher.

Thanks

Vanessa

• Hallie Balcomb

May 16, 2019 at 11:15 am

Hello! My name is Hallie Balcomb. As an educator of a new independent school in NW Arkansas (Thaden School), I have the daily delight of collaborating with faculty and students to create a balanced math curriculum that aligns with our mission. I currently teach Algebra I and Pre-Calculus. Throughout my career I have taught students from 7th to 12th grade, covering Pre-Algebra to Calculus BC.

As we enter our third year of existence as a school, currently serving grades 6 through 11, we are working to set learning objectives across the disciplines that value depth over breadth and open our students eyes to the expansive world of mathematics. Tasks from Kyle & Jon’s blogs helped me facilitate some of the most successful math moments in my classroom when I started this journey at Thaden School. I look forward to connecting with educators to hear what works in their classrooms and best practices around building a vertically aligned curriculum.

Best,

Hallie

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 11, 2019 at 9:48 pm

Hi Hallie!

Welcome to the Academy! I have a similar experience as I helped open a K-12 school as the only grade 9 teacher at the time. The first 5 years were exciting, but also posed some challenges as we developed a school culture, routines, and tradition.

Looking forward to learning with you!!

• Brent Sturtevant

May 17, 2019 at 11:35 am

Good Morning,

My name is Taylor Sturtevant and I teach 8th grade math in Braintree, MA.  For the last 12 years I have been teaching Algebra to my students.

Over the past few years I have been changing my methods and approach to teaching algebra.   My hope from joining the academy is learn how to create better lessons that allow all skill levels to understand the material and work on the activity at the same time.

I am excited to be joining the team.

Sincerely,

Taylor Sturtevant

• Ronda Brown

March 27, 2020 at 2:04 pm

Hi Taylor. A lot of what I do is getting our incoming freshman (and sophomores who fail pre-algebra) up to speed in their skills. I am right there with you. I want better lessons for these kids and hope I can share those ideas out!

• Mary Black

May 17, 2019 at 9:32 pm

Hell0!

I’m Mary, and I teach 5th grade math in San Antonio.  I’m in my 26th year of teaching, and I’ve taught elementary, middle, and high school math.  I look forward to learning and becoming a more effective teacher!

• Melissa Baker

May 18, 2019 at 7:02 am

Hi My name is Melissa Baker and I teach grade five in Oshawa ON.  I have been teaching for 28 years and have never felt comfortable with my math program.  I have been trying spiraling and 3 act lessons and the like.  Now I want to develop a cohesive plan for next year that is easy to follow for me and my students.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 2, 2019 at 5:58 pm

How are you making out on your plans for this coming year?? 

• Licia Previte

May 18, 2019 at 8:57 am

Hey everyone! My name in Licia Previte and I am from Western PA.  I’m so excited to have joined 🙂

I have been teaching 6th grade for 20 years, holy cow that is a long time.  I don’t feel that old in my head  🙂

Two years ago, I took over the teacher leader position at my school after my most favorite math colleague retired.  Year one I worked with k-6 math teachers and after a position revamp, I know work with 3-6 math teachers.  I love the prospect of leading grassroots movements in my school but it has been quite the challenge.

I am here to better my math instruction, my math knowledge and to find ways to win over my colleagues 🙂

• Shawn Hershey

May 19, 2019 at 5:28 pm

Hello, my name is Shawn Hershey.

I have been teaching for 22 years now.  I spent my first two years in 3rd grade and then have been teaching middle school math in grades 6, 7, and 8.  I am currently and interventionist for all of the grades.

I am really looking for people who share a passion for math and sense making.  I want the kids to understand and see the connections in mathematics.  This has been a powerful journey for me thus far and I am looking to continue it with other people who love math and want to improve each year.

• Daniel Whittaker

June 4, 2019 at 12:32 am

Hey everybody!  I’m Danny Whittaker.  I grew up in Oregon.  I’ve been teaching for 20 years now (I know @liciaprevite it makes me feel old!)  The last 15 years have been at International Community School in Singapore.

I teach Algebra 1, Algebra 2, AP Calculus, and Advanced Quantitative Reasoning.  I love getting students thinking, but feel like I have a long way to go.  I love using 3-act tasks, desmos, and any other new thing I find, but I’m not good at keeping structure and coherency from one year to the next.

I’m looking forward to getting some ideas for how to be better organized in my daily structure!

• Steven Hogan

May 21, 2019 at 3:13 am

Hey All

My name is Steven Hogan, I’m a primary school teacher from down under in Australia. I teach Year 6 students. I have loved learning about lessons that spark curiousity in the classroom and I’m looking forward to discovering new ways this can be implemented.

• Carolyn Bus

May 22, 2019 at 10:45 am

Hello!  My name is Carolyn Bus and I live and teach in southwestern Ontario.  For the past five years I have been working with Gifted and Enrichment students in Grades 5-8 from across our board.  In September, I will be returning to a Gr. 4/5 classroom.  While I have thoroughly loved my time as an itinerant enrichment teacher, I am really excited to be taking my new skills back to a junior classroom which is where I’ve spent the bulk of my previous 10 years teaching.

My goal is to build a math program that uses a Learning through Problem-Solving approach, applied equitably  (with socio-cultural consciousness, high expectations for all, with a desire to make a difference, through a constructivist approach, in a culturally responsive way) to successfully meet the differentiated learning needs of all students and to engage learners in deeper critical and creative thinking.  My hope is that by engaging students in meaningful problem-solving and by consolidating learning through rich math conversations that all of my students will develop as more confident, resourceful, resilient and enthusiastic mathematicians.

• Shauna Messinger

May 22, 2019 at 4:37 pm

Hello! I am Shauna Messinger, teacher on special assignment (TOSA) for mathematics in Simi Valley Unified School District in Southern California. For the last two years I have been coaching teachers from TK to Adult School. Previously I taught 14 years in high school math.

This new experience of seeing into classrooms of all ages and levels has been amazing and I have found something I really love. My first presentation to teachers was at an all elementary representatives meeting. As I stood up, my feet slipped on the floor and I broke my Chromebook. Worst experience ever, but I look back and laugh….I can only get better after that one!

I attended the Making Math Moments Academy and found it to be an amazing help in my coaching ideas. I want my learning to evolve!

• Tristan Kittilson

May 22, 2019 at 4:44 pm

Hello Mathletes!

My name is Tristan Kittilson and I am a 5th-grade teacher at Glenwood City Elementary (WI). I have been at Glenwood my entire career (9 years) and teach all math. I graduated from the University of Wisconsin-River Falls with a major in Elementary Education and a minor in mathematics. I have always had a passion for math and teaching math. About 7/2 years ago I got the opportunity to be involved in a math grant, which basically completely flipped my math and teaching world upside down and exposed me to such an amazing side of teaching, learning, and experiencing math. This grant, unfortunately, ran out of funding and so I jumped at the possibility of joining the Making Math Moments Academy to be a part of something very special and learn as much as I possibly can to become the best possible teacher I can be for my students, but as we know they deserve it. And I know through the leadership and vision of both Kyle and Jon we will take those small steps, one day at a time, toward a much richer, deeper, joyous math future in our classrooms and schools! 🙂

Respectfully,

Tristan

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    May 23, 2019 at 4:09 pm
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  Kyle Pearce.
  • Alex Van Steen

May 23, 2019 at 9:41 pm

Hello All,

I am Alex, a 4th-grade gen ed teacher at Columbia Crest A-STEM Academy in Ashford, Washington. I work in a remote, single-grade per classroom schoolhouse near the base of Mt. Rainier. I am finishing my fifth year as a teacher. For the first 28 years of my working life I worked as a mountain guide, traveling the world.

The class I’m currently teaching came to me with a lot of math anxiety. I committed myself to build a joyful math experience for the kids because it kinda sickened me to know that kids didn’t want to come to school cuz they feared math. It’s been a great ride this year and I look forward to learning bunches more.

Cheers!

• Tracey Wallis

May 25, 2019 at 8:15 pm

Hi, I’m Tracey from Burton, BC in the Kootenays. I currently teach a k-3 class, which will expand next year to include grade 4. Looking forward to expanding my math knowledge in order to create diverse, engaging and in-depth math activities.

I find that with such a large gap it can become easy to “rush” some students ( a grade) ahead.  This site and its focus on concrete fading and fully understanding concepts (ie proportional reasoning) are reinforcing my goal of being a more observational, process-oriented teacher.

Thanks for all the great resources – and a platform for seeing the “forest through the trees”

Tracey

• Steven Hogan

May 25, 2019 at 8:59 pm

a

• shane kelsey

May 27, 2019 at 4:25 am

Hi everyone. I’m a newbie from Adelaide, South Australia. I currently teach year 6 and 7 and have previously been a numeracy coach in the school. I joined this site as I continually seek new ways to deliver which is both engaging and gives students deeper understanding.

• Shawn Hershey

May 27, 2019 at 5:22 am

Welcome Shane.  I am a middle school (grades 6, 7, and 8) interventionist.  Glad to have your here.

• Kelley Garbero

May 27, 2019 at 7:21 am

My name is Kelley.

I teach Algebra 1 and Pre-algebra to mostly 8th graders.

I have been teaching for 12 years.

The main reason I joined is because my school district adopted a new Algebra curriculum.  It  makes the students be more active learners and the teacher more of a facilitator.  This is very exciting for me but, I want to get it right.

• shane kelsey

May 27, 2019 at 7:42 am

Hi Kelley, look forward to teaming up. Thanks for the response.

• Charity Kitsyuk

May 27, 2019 at 2:36 pm

Hello I am Charity

I teach 5th and 6th grade math in Dutch Harbor, Alaska. I previously worked with a great curriculum and just followed it. When I moved to this school all I had was a poorly put together textbook. I fell down the rabbit hole of learning the best practices in math. I absolutely love everything I have learned so far from Jon and Kyle. I want to learn more too. I have all this great knowledge know but feel extremely scattered when it comes to implementation. I am afraid I am doing more harm than good at this point. So I hope to develop a cohesive plan and front load some work this summer to craft a class that is free from fear, and full of learning.

• Marty Beck

May 28, 2019 at 2:20 pm

Hi all!  Marty Beck from Bettendorf, Iowa here.  I’m a teacher leader for Math, working with all teachers of mathematics in the district from PK – 12th grade.

Previously, I’ve taught 7th and 8th grade math, Algebra 1, and Algebra 2 in both honors versions and for those that struggle as well as the general student population.

I’m knee deep in working with teachers to change their practice from traditional “telling” to one of facilitating learning.

Loving the stuff y’all are sharing.  I’ve been re-sharing and re-sharing!  I’m always on the look-out for ways to help teachers see the need for making the shift in their classroom and resources to make it easier for them.

• Shawn Hershey

May 28, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Welcome Marty.  I taught 6th and 7th for 20 years and am now an interventionist for 6, 7, and 8. I can only imagine how hard it is to change some minds about teaching mathematics.

• Heather

May 31, 2019 at 8:12 pm

Hi Everyone! I’m Heather Krieger from Williamsville, NY (near Buffalo/Niagara Falls) I’ve been teaching since the early 90’s (with time off to raise my three children!) Just celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary.

I began as a 7-12 science teacher, followed by Gifted and Talented, and am currently an Instructional Technology Coach. I’m a lifelong learner and have been fortunate to experience education through multiple roles in my district.

Instructional coaching has been a wonderful experience, but I’ve had a difficult time encouraging secondary math teachers to experiment with strategies for deeper student learning. I work in a high performing district, so the math instructors continue with traditional “chalk and talk” delivery using digital whitboards. Students score well on state exams, so they believe they are doing what’s best for kids. I disagree.

I’m hoping to learn as much as I can about effective and engaging math instruction!

• Jon

Administrator
      July 11, 2019 at 4:43 pm

Welcome Heather, 

Congrats on your anniversary! 

We’ve had exactly the same experience with high school math teachers who think they have success in the classroom. Partly, I think we have to redefine what success is. We’re so glad you’ve joined. We know, together, we can work toward making that difference we’re looking for. 

• Brandi Sidley

May 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm

Hi Heather. I was scrolling to see if there was anyone here from my area (Northern CA) and noticed your location. We were supposed to travel to Olean to over spring break to watch my daughter play softball against St. Bonaventure. So, I thought I’d say hi.

• Emily Johnson

July 1, 2019 at 1:44 pm

Hi, I’m Emily Johnson from Los Angeles, California. I’m the principal of the middle division (grades 6-8) at a K-12 school. I see the middle schoolers at my school learning a lot of procedures and memorizing formulas and algorithms but not doing much reasoning. If I ask them why multiplying by the reciprocal to divide fractions work, they don’t know. When I ask them what their graphs show, they often aren’t sure. I learned how amazing math is late in my life, and my hope for the students at my school is that they will understand math so that they can truly enjoy it.  

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 1, 2019 at 2:01 pm

Hi @EmilyJohnson! Welcome to the Academy!

We are so excited to have you as a part of this amazing community of learners. You are right in the “middle” of it and I LOVE how you are an administrator who clearly understands the impact the principal has on the culture of learning in their buildings. Bravo!!

It sounds like you’re after ways to help inspire your teachers to learn the conceptual “why” of mathematics, which is so powerful and important. 

Don’t be shy – be sure to keep us all posted as to your new wonderings and reflections as you move along!

• Betty Napoli

July 8, 2019 at 6:29 pm

I am Daniella Schnell from LBI New Jersey. I am an 8th grade math and Algebra educator at Galloway TWP Middle School. This will be my fourth year of teaching (I was a SPED push in teacher prior) and I have come to recognize the learning gaps/deficiencies middle schoolers at my school are facing. Students have difficulty with estimation, reasoning, and they lack a true understanding of why we use algorithms or “short cuts” in math. They also are easily frustrated and cannot persevere through problems. I am looking for tools to help break these barriers and change their “hate” or “can’t do it” attitude to a fun love of MATH!

• Jon

Administrator
      July 11, 2019 at 4:39 pm

Welcome Betty, 

Each September my students have the same skill deficits you mention here. That’s why we built this place! Together we make a difference. Looking forward to learning with you. 

• Rallou Clark

July 11, 2019 at 3:21 pm

Hi, I’m Rallou from Oakdale, Connecticut.  I teach math in a trauma sensitive alternative high school in Montville. I taught middle school in this district for 14 years and was at the main high school for 3 years, and this is my 6th year here.  I joined the Making Math Moments Academy because I’ve been listening to your pod casts since the last couple weeks of school and got so excited because they gave me hope that I could find a way to engage my kids.  That has been a huge struggle for me the past 5 years because nearly all of our students are very reluctant learners. I am hoping to find ways to make my kids believe they can do this thing we call math.

• Jon

Administrator
      July 11, 2019 at 4:37 pm

Hi Rallou, 

We are super pumped you’ve joined. I’m sure you’ve had some unique experiences we could all benefit from. We’re looking forward to learning with you. 

• Sarah Merrylees

July 29, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Hi. I’m Sarah Merrylees from Tolmie, Australia. I am currently teaching grades 6-8 Mathematics in Nanjing, China and have been teaching Middle Schoolers all over the world for longer than I care to admit.  Just finished listening to podcast #35 with John Hattie and came away inspired and excited to begin the new term in 2 weeks.  Looking forward to listening to more and continuing to use your great resources in the classroom.

Thank you.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 2, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Welcome to the Academy, Sarah! Fantastic to see folks from all over the world joining us on this learning journey. We loved the chat with John and we are happy you enjoyed it as well! 

Looking forward to reading your progress log about your plans for the remainder of your school year (or are you on a similar schedule to N.A.?)

• Stuart Kumaishi

August 1, 2019 at 10:21 pm

Stuart Kumaishi from Santa Cruz, CA.

I will be teaching a new class this year for 9th graders who have gotten Ds and Fs in their middle school math classes.  The primary goals are to fill in all of their math gaps and have them master the Integrated 1 standards.  (Sounds easy enough.)

<span style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>I have taught classes like this before where I have only focused on the math and have not been very successful.  I would like to try teaching the whole student using the newest research-based ideas.  Unfortunately, I will be creating this class as I go along but fortunately, I found this resource to help me.  I will also be teaching the two classes solo so I hope to find the community support I will likely need here.</span>

• Jon

Administrator
      August 13, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Welcome Stuart! 

Both Kyle and I have taught 9th grade classes like yours. A challenge but I feel they are very rewarding. The community here has been so supportive. We look forward to helping you out. 

• Brandi Sidley

May 22, 2020 at 4:30 pm

Hello from Sacramento. Your class does sound like a challenge but could be very rewarding.

• Sheri Porth

August 8, 2019 at 2:49 pm

Hello! Bonjour! Tansi! Jambo! from Sheri in northern Manitoba. I teach grade 7/8 math, science, ELA and social studies. I’m heading into my 10th year of teaching and I am finally realizing that I need to adjust my teaching to move my students farther on their learning journey. Instead of teaching the way I was taught, I want to learn how to engage my students so they will love math like I do and make it meaningful to them. I love making connections across the curriculum and to our stories – past, present & future!

• Jon

Administrator
      August 13, 2019 at 7:41 pm

Hey there Sheri, 

Welcome! 

We look forward to working with you on your journey and following your progress logs! 

• Maggie Ewert

August 19, 2019 at 4:21 pm

Jambo, Sheri! A dear friend of mine grew up in Tanzania. I am curious and wondering what adventures might have led to your wonderful, multilingual greeting. I spent 7 years teaching in Morocco and 3 in Scotland before I came back home to Canada. 

Maggie E

• Emona Orr

August 8, 2019 at 5:07 pm

Hello,  I’m Emona and live in a Northwest Missouri and teach at a small K-12 school.  I teach 8th grade, and Algebra 1, 2, and College.  This is my 5 year teaching and the 3rd at my school.

I have been listening to the Math Moments podcast on Monday mornings on my drive to work.  I have a 40-45 minute drive which is perfect to get my week started off right.  I love being inspired every week.  I don’t get a lot of collaboration time with other mathematics teachers. So hearing how you and your guest keep your classes on track in growing inspires me.  

I’m excited for the support and ideas that I will receive through this group.  

• Jon

Administrator
      August 13, 2019 at 7:44 pm

I’m honoured to welcome another Orr into the community! 

We’re so glad you found the podcast and this academy. What has been your biggest takeaway from an episode so far?  

• Tonia Smoot

August 13, 2019 at 11:18 am

My name is Tonia Workman Smoot. I teach at Roosevelt Junior High School in Roosevelt Utah. I was a SPED/ELED major. I taught SPED for 3 years when the ADMIN asked me if I would be willing to teach 7th/8th-grade math. I took on the challenge and am in my 3rd year. I have almost completed my masters in mathematical education. I have used tap-into-minds videos in the past and am excited to have a place to have experts help me to assist my students in learning how to see the world differently through math. 

• Jon

Administrator
      August 13, 2019 at 7:45 pm

Welcome Tonia, 

We’re honoured that you have joined this community and academy. We look forward to supporting your growth. We’re better together. 

• Shannon Coombs

August 18, 2019 at 8:49 pm

New-ish Member: Shannon Coombs from London, Ontario, Canada.

I joined the acadamy back in May but am only now taking the time to get going on it. I’m going into my 14th year in the classroom and have taught almost everything from JK – 12. For the past 2.5 years, I’ve landed at Saint Andre Bessette Catholic Secondary School in London, ON and am loving my job as a math teacher. The courses I find myself getting assigned over and over again are Grade 10 Academic, Grade 9 and 10 Applied, and Grade 11 College. I’ve been told that my experience in elementary school is a benefit to students with learning struggles in math, so I’m always looking for new ways to engage them and help them to learn. 

I have two boys, ages 7 and 9 and a terrific husband. I love my time with them, but always find it a struggle to be the best teacher, mom and wife that I can be! There are so many great things I could be doing in my class, but time never seems to be on my side! Remember Evie, from the 80’s show “Out of this World”? I wish I had the power to freeze time to get all my work done so I could enjoy more time with my family! I’m hoping that <span style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>joining Making Math Moments Academy will help with that!</span>

<span style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>I also struggle with learning all of these great, new things, and then feeling defeated… like I’m not as a great of a teacher as some may think I am. So, ya. About to embark on a new school year and hoping to challenge myself to try new things!</span>

• Maggie Ewert

August 19, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Greetings from Newcastle, Ontario. My name is Maggie Ewert and I am now teaching locally (after years abroad in Morocco and Scotland). I started out in Physical and Health Education and got to Math by way of a decade as a teacher-librarian on my way into a grade 7/8 homeroom. One of our board’s math consultants introduced me to Tap Into Teen Minds among other awesome resources and since then, the Make Math Moments approach has really resonated with me and with my students. I completed the online workshop last winter/spring, immersed my class along with me and want to maintain the momentum in the new school year. I have given myself a few weeks off to recharge and enjoy this glorious summer. This is my welcome back; glad to be here among so many colleagues from all over the globe! 

• Tania Ash

August 25, 2019 at 5:40 am

Wow, Maggie! A fellow RAS teacher! So great that you are here! Did you know that RAS has moved? I look forward to reconnecting with you! 

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    August 20, 2019 at 2:53 pm

So great to have @shannoncoombs and @maggieewert in the Academy! Fantastic to see some former Online Workshop participants joining the Academy to continue with reflection, planning, implementation and refining your practice! WELCOME!

• Maggie Ewert

August 21, 2019 at 8:23 am

Thanks for the warm welcome and it is great to be back! 

• Tania Ash

August 25, 2019 at 5:38 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Tania and I’m currently teaching in Morocco, although I’m originally from Montreal. I’ve been teaching 5th grade for a number of years now, but this year I get to specialize in Math and Science – hurray! A few years ago I did a Math Specialist in International School program, and I’m hoping to help our teachers further improve their math teaching.

I joined the community because I’m a PD junkie! I am a member of NCTM  and BMM and an avid listener of Kyle and Jon’s podcast.

I also have spent most of my time teaching 5th grade, but if I’m to support teachers at other levels, I’m interested in what it looks like in the lower grades (and possibly middle school, too).

Really looking forward to learning with everyone!

• Jon

Administrator
      August 26, 2019 at 9:38 am

Welcome Tania from all the way over here in Canada! I think you’ll find a lot of us PD junkies here. Looking forward to learning with you.

Jon

• Teresa Humphrey

August 28, 2019 at 5:01 pm

Hello! My name is Teresa and I teach in a small district in Condon, Oregon.  I have been in education for 34 years, but recently moved from teaching primary grades to teaching junior high math.  I am truly excited about the “new” ideas around teaching math. I have used several different tasks from your website and others, but would like to learn how to incorporate more and have a cohesive program.  There are so many ideas out there, but I am unsure of how to choose which ones to use to make sure that all of the CCSS are covered. I am looking forward to learning anything I can to help kids become not just mathematical thinkers, but thinkers in general!

• Anna Wold

September 3, 2019 at 10:12 am

Hello!

My name is Anna. I teach Algebra 2 and Pre-Calculus in Northern Arizona. This is my 10th year teaching math and I’m always looking for ways to best engage my students. I started listening to the podcasts this summer and crave this sort of information and community to share with and learn from. 

• Jennifer L’Arrivee

September 22, 2019 at 11:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I teach at a small, rural public  high school in McBride, British Columbia. We strive to provide a full program for all our students. I have a BSc in Biology and teach Senior Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Workplace Math, and Pre-Calculus. The struggle in our school is the many preps each semester as each course is only offered once in the year. Meaning that our teachers don’t have duplicate courses. 

I am certainly looking to improve my methods in the classroom as math has always been a personal challenge. I find I can spiral my science classes easier than the math, as I am much more comfortable with the content. I am looking forward to the discussions.

• Jon

Administrator
      September 25, 2019 at 6:01 am

Hi Jennifer! Welcome. 

Many of us are in your boat! I myself, usually teach the only section of a course in my my school. That’s part of the reason this community exists! Feel free to use the water cooler area and throw up a post on gathering resources from a specific course. 

• Scott Monahan

September 28, 2019 at 6:20 am

Hi Everyone,

My name is Scott Monahan, and I’m in Alliston, ON.

After almost 8 years out of the regular classroom (first as a regional digital literacy resource teacher and then as a teacher-librarian), I’m back teaching Grade 7 (and loving it). That being said, I want to “up my game” in terms of math teaching and learning from what I was doing 8 years ago and have certainly found the podcast to be a helpful jump start. I’m here because I want to extend on what I’ve been learning from the podcast and connect to a community who are exploring similar issues.

I’ve got a science/biology background, but it’s been a long time since I’ve been doing that. Although I don’t have any formal background in technology/computer science, I have been lucky to have some great experiences in the instructional technology realm including piloting an open source classroom (went well for me, but wasn’t scalable) and help roll out Google Apps/G Suite in our school board.

Anyway – back to planning – looking forward to learning!

Scott

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      September 30, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Hi @ScottMonahan

It’s great to have you as a part of the Make Math Moments Community!

If you had to pick 1 thing to work on this year… what would that be?

Kyle

• Wendie Hartman

October 31, 2019 at 11:42 am

Hello! I am the High School Math Lead at Indiana Digital Learning School. We are a K12.com online public school. I live in Central Ohio, but our students are from all over Indiana. This is my fifth year teaching online and second year at INDLS. I just started as Math Lead a couple of weeks ago. I will be supporting 12 math teachers (Alg 1 & 2, Geometry, and Probability & Statistics, for now) and leading RTI for all high school math students. I love teaching online. It is such a great opportunity for so many students that find brick & mortar a struggle.

New ideas are always welcome and eagerly sought.

• Jon

Administrator
      November 2, 2019 at 6:48 am

Welcome Wendie, 

Thanks for sharing a little about yourself. We look forward to having your perspective here in our community! There are a few completely online teachers here in the academy like yourself. 

• Seth Howard

November 2, 2019 at 2:00 am

Hello! My name is Seth Howard and I am from Oklahoma but I am currently teaching secondary math at an English School in Bangkok Thailand. I am teaching (in English)  8th Grade Pre-Algebra, Geometry, Pre-Calc and Calculus this year. I love the school I am at and our students are awesome. 

My life has always been centered around math education. My dad teachers mathematics at the university level and has always had a heart for teaching math and it rubbed off on me. I have loved it from a young age and I have always wanted others to love it the way my family does.

I joined the Making Math Moments Community because I love having a community to teach math with. I want to learn what everyone is doing and become a better teacher.

• Jon

Administrator
      November 2, 2019 at 6:50 am

Welcome Seth! 

We can’t wait for you to get started! Let us know how to support you best! 

• Maria Hirsch

November 2, 2019 at 1:57 pm

I’m Tere Hirsch from Montebello CA

I’m a retired teacher 

I work with student teachers at CSUF and CSUN

• Sheila Moore

November 5, 2019 at 11:53 am

New member Sheila Moore from Texas.

I am currently a Math Specialist on a fifth grade campus but I have taught grades three through eight with most of my time being spent in the seventh and eighth grade area.  

Looking forward to new ideas for the math teachers that I lead. 

• Jenny Kinter

November 7, 2019 at 9:53 am

Hello fellow math lovers.

My name is Jenny and I teach in Eastern Virginia at a small private school I have been working at this school off and on since 2001. I teach math from Pre-Algebra. Algebra II, and College Algebra (and will likely be adding a trig class next fall). This is my third year as the head of the math department at the upper school (grades 7-12).

With all those classes, prep time is at a premium, so I’m looking to make it as efficient as possible for our math teachers and me.

I am eager to help our school have an excellent math program and know that collaboration with others who love helping kids learn is one of the best resources available.

• Patricia Tedford

November 22, 2019 at 9:12 am

Hello to all!  My name is Patty, I am a math specialist in Groton, CT.  I taught 1st, 2nd, and 5th grades for the first 20 years of my teaching career.  I worked as a interventionist for 4 years before becoming a specialist in my current district.  I joined because I crave learning more!  I really enjoyed the virtual summit this past weekend and I look forward to mathy conversations in the next year through this community.

• Xianwei Van Harpen

November 23, 2019 at 4:42 pm

Hi all!

My name is Xianwei. I am from Milwaukee. I am a math teacher educator working in a university. I have been listening to the podcast since a month ago and absolutely enjoy them. I also watched many of the presentations last week online through the Summit. 

I look forward to learning more effective practices!

Xianwei

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      December 1, 2019 at 5:17 pm

Welcome! So glad to have you as a part of the community! 

Are there any virtual summit sessions you’re still interested in checking out?

• Erin Little

November 27, 2019 at 10:27 am

Hi. I’m Erin. I live and work in northern Ontario.  

I’m new in the role of instructional coach for math grades 7-9. I’ve taught every grade from 4-8 but mostly in the junior grades (4-6), 

I’ve been following Jon & Kyle’s blogs for years and have used many of the 3 Act Math tasks as well as created some of my own. I did an OTF online workshop with Kyle a few years ago and Jon did some sessions in Timmins that I attended. 

I joined to learn more and to focus my learning so I can help my teachers move forward with 3 Act Tasks, productive struggle, multiple representations and visual models.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      December 1, 2019 at 5:13 pm

Fantastic that you’re joining us on this journey in the Academy! So happy to have you to learn with!! 

Have you checked out the growth lab yet?

• Karen Coty

December 1, 2019 at 1:29 pm

Hi All, my name is Karen Coty, and I am a 6th grade math teacher at a middle school in Georgetown, Delaware.  I’ve been teaching 6th grade math for 10 years and still find it incredibly challenging!  I found the academy when I was searching for a podcast this summer and LUCKILY came across makemathmoments.com.  I started listening and haven’t stopped! I binge on it every time I get in the car (or clean the house).  I joined the academy after working through the 6 week workshop.  I didn’t want the learning to end.  I also look forward to the academy being my learning community.  I don’t feel like I have a learning community in my school or district yet.  The few teachers that I’ve talk to are afraid of changing their practice.  Their “test scores” are good, so in their mind, why fix what isn’t broken. I also think they are afraid to move away from the curriculum since our district is big on following the book “with fidelity”. I am excited to continue learning with you all!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      December 1, 2019 at 5:14 pm

Hi Karen! So glad to have you here with us!!

So many of us don’t have that community in our buildings (yet) so this is a great place to start. Together, we can help inspire those around us in our buildings to push their thinking forward.

Thanks for joining in the fun!

• Maria Castro

December 8, 2019 at 12:08 am

New Member: Maria Castro, Chicago, IL 

I am a Bilingual Primary Teacher working in a suburban public school. I am currently teaching second grade. I have only taught in the primary grades.  I have had students from Kindergarten to Third grade.  This is my seventh year in the classroom. 

I worked as a Parent Educator for ten years before becoming a licensed teacher. My bachelors degree is in Psychology. I supported parents with children from Birth to Three years old. I provided information about their infant and toddler’s child development and how to manage their parental challenges. 

I work with ELL students and find that giving them tasks keeps them engaged and wiling to share their ideas more compared to my traditional way of teaching math ever has.  I look forward to learning a lot from these courses and the community of educators here. 

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      December 9, 2019 at 7:21 pm

Welcome, @Maria-Castro!

So glad to have you as a part of the community.

Your psychology background is a huge asset that you bring to the area of education as a classroom teacher. 

Do you have any specific tasks you’ve used in the recent past that you can share so folks get a perspective as to what learning through task means to you?

• Maria Castro

December 10, 2019 at 9:34 pm

I have done number talks using rekenreks and number dots to encourage number sense. I have a set of tasks I bought from Teacherspayteachers that has no numbers. It’s just the task and students need to come up with quantities. For example, one was about students in first, second, and third grade getting balloons for a school carnival. I got the actual amount of kids in each of those classes and gave the data to the children. After brain storming, what info we needed to obtain. The students added all the students to get a grand total. Then I had them do a bar graph to represent each grade. I like these tasks because they are open ended and it allows the students an opportunity to problem solve. I want them to ask more questions to figure out what data they need to acquire to solve the task. 

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      December 15, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Hi @Maria-Castro!

Welcome to the Academy! So great to have you here.

Sounds like you’re experimenting with Number Talks. Have you noticed any benefits so far? Have you considered checking out Cathy Fosnot’s Minilessons? They’re pretty awesome!

• Leanne Van Bergen

December 13, 2019 at 6:44 am

Leanne here from rural Manitoba.  I’m a teacher in her 28th year of the profession. An art and French specialist that finds herself in the role of teaching 20 and 30 essentials. Because that’s how things work in small schools. ☺️ I’m also the team leader at our school and play a part in our student and teacher support for all core subjects k-12. I find this Academy intriguing. I’m hoping to use the strategies here to help shape my practice in the math classroom and share methods of instruction with our staff. 

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      December 15, 2019 at 8:50 pm

Hi @Leanne-Van-Bergen!

After seeing all of the participating you’ve been doing in the How To Be More Picky course, I can tell you’ll be a great fit for the Academy!

So glad to have you and with such a wealth of experience with almost 30 years under your belt. 

Warm welcome from the Math Moment Maker Community!

• Lianne Swannell

January 15, 2020 at 8:59 pm

Hi my name is Lianne Swannell.  I teach at an all girls public catholic secondary school in Brampton.  I am the Mathematics and Computer Science department head.  I teach grades 9-12 math mostly with the occasional Intro to Business Technology course thrown in.  

Twenty plus years ago I got my BMath at the University of Waterloo and am excited to join this community to help me continue to make my math classroom a better environment for my students to learn and to love mathematics.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      January 15, 2020 at 9:29 pm

Hi @Lianne-Swannell!

WELCOME TO THE ACADEMY!

We are so glad to have you and we look forward to learning from you. Have you started your learning log yet?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  Kyle Pearce.
  • Melanie Field

January 17, 2020 at 8:24 pm

Hi,

My name is Mel.  I teach Year 7 and 8 at South New Brighton School in Christchurch New Zealand.  I have been teaching for 25 years.  Maths is one of my favourite subjects.  I’ve completed Jo Boaler’s How to Teach Maths online course and ‘Mathematical Mindsets’.  I joined Making Maths Moments because I listened to a Maths Moments podcast and thought it sounded interesting.

• Ann Hough

January 21, 2020 at 2:17 pm

Greetings:

I am Ann Marie Hough (pronounced huff).  I live in Northeastern Nebraska and teach on a Native American Reservation.  I teach 6th Grade Mathematics, Consumer Mathematics and a General Mathematics.  General Math is a Pre-Pre-Algebra course

I have a Secondary Education Degree with a Mathematics Endorsement for 6-12.  I am currently working on my Masters in Cirrculum and Instruction.  I would like to get my Special Education endorsment.

My 3rd and 6th grade teacher, who was the same person, is the main reason I chose math as my endorsement.  In 3rd grade, I asked why 3 x 4 was 12.  Her reply was you don’t need to know why, just memorize the math facts!  That evening, my grandmother was babysitting my sister and I.  With the  full swing of the holiday season, pies baking in the oven filled the kitchen.  I asked Grandma why 3 x 4 was 12.  She set out 3 groups of 4 and asked me to add up the groups.  I replied 12 and then an Oh multiplication is a short cut to addition.  

I joined Making Math Momements Matter Acedemy because I want to be that teacher that help guides students into a world of mathematical discovery. 

• Sharon Imbert

January 26, 2020 at 7:16 pm

Hello, my name is Sharon Imbert and I work as a 3-5 Instructional Coach in Dexter, Maine.  Before I became an Instructional Coach, I was trained as a Literacy Coach with the bulk of my experience being in K-3.  I have only been working as an Instructional Coach for two years when the district I work for was trying to address the inequity of coaching in our PK-8 building.  We had two literacy coaches (Pk-2, 3-5) and one math coach Pk-8.  The thought was that dividing up the grade levels would make services more equitable for all.  This led me to looking at ways to increase my math knowledge, which then led me to Making Math Moments that Matter.

• Sara Odioso

January 27, 2020 at 9:21 pm

Hello all,

My name is Sara Odioso. I live in San Diego, California. I teach at a tuition-free private catholic school for low-income students that will be the first in their family to graduate from college. I serve as the Math Teacher (aka Math department) for grades 6-8. I also run a Math Olympiad Team. 

I’m originally from Pittsburgh, PA. I have a B.S. in Mathematics from Allegheny College and a MAT in Secondary Math Education from the University of Pittsburgh. I taught in Alexandria, VA (7th grade math) for 6 years before moving to California. 

I joined the Math Academy because I am currently the only math person at my school community. I want to have a community to learn with and from, share ideas, and gain insights to student learning and current research on learning. 

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      January 27, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Hi @sara-odioso @sharon-imbert @ann-hough

Welcome to the Math Moment Maker Community. Based on what you’ve said so far, I think you’re going to fit in really nicely here.

We can’t wait to get to know you better and continue learning together!

• Sage Hughes

February 2, 2020 at 2:45 am

Hi! My name is Sage Hughes and I teach 3rd grade at the Singapore American School. Our school is really big-14 3rd grade classes. I am a 3rd grade math committee rep and I help create our units. I would love some new ideas to bring to my team. 

I love teaching math and haven’t any any math PD in the last year. I’d love some fun and challenging ideas to spark my students interest. 

• Lea Christiansen

February 2, 2020 at 4:44 am

My name is Lea Christiansen. I am one of 14 (!) grade 4 teachers at Singapore American School. I am looking for inspiration to breathe new life into my math teaching. I look forward to discovering ways to move my students from math achievers to mathematical thinkers.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 12, 2020 at 7:19 pm

So happy to have you here learning with us! WELCOME!

• Elissa Crabtree

February 8, 2020 at 6:21 pm

Hi. My name is Elissa Crabtree. I live in Utah and teach High School Math.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 12, 2020 at 7:20 pm

Hi @Elissa-Crabtree

Welcome to the community! What is your current area of focus for math professional learning?

• Takiesha Martinez

February 11, 2020 at 9:54 pm

Hello,

I’m Takiesha and I reside in San Antonio, Texas. Currently I teach 7th/8th/Algebra at an academy with grades PreK-8th grade. I’ve been in education for 20 years, and yes all in the same district I attended when I was in school. Imagine seeing your past teachers when you attend professional developments.Smiley Within my 20 years I’ve taught elementary, 7th grade, became a curriculum specialist, gotten a few master degrees, and have found a love for being in the classroom that I cannot let go of. I joined this academy to help me become the best version of myself and move from the traditional way of teaching to allowing students to make deeper connections with mathematics. Grinning

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 12, 2020 at 7:21 pm

Hi @Takiesha-Martinez

It was fantastic to have an opportunity to chat with you last night as we recorded another Math Mentoring Moment Episode #70 🙂

So happy to learn alongside you…

• Traci Jackson

March 16, 2020 at 11:05 pm

Hello All,

I am from San Diego, California. Our schools shut down on Friday and I am thrilled to have time to be a part of this community. I am a TOSA (teacher on special assignment) for secondary math. I coach teachers, run professional development, and work as a liason between teachers and administrators/district. This is my first year in this role and it was a rough transition. I greatly missed the classroom and crafting/implementing learning experiences. I have since come to love the impact I can make in this role, but do still miss my own students. I joined to find more ways to empower students to be classroom mathematicians!

• Gabrielle Bertrand

March 18, 2020 at 7:29 am

Hi Traci! I love that you are working to empower your students! I have been thinking about this too, and Robert Kaplinsky has a great post on empowerment: https://vimeo.com/287521974

More “power” to you in this endeavor!!

• Brandon Isert

March 17, 2020 at 12:36 am

Hi everyone! My name is Brandon and I am a grade 6 homeroom teacher in Cold Lake, AB. I am a new member and I want to thank Jon and Kyle for opening up the academy for free, I can’t wait to get started!

• sue meyer

March 17, 2020 at 8:06 am

Hi Jon and Kyle! My name is Sue. I need to introduce myself as a very thankful 30 day free trial member. I live in Connecticut and teach at a school that is closed indefinately.

• Tara Kroeger

March 17, 2020 at 8:32 am

I’m Tara I’m a K-6 Math coach from Ottawa, ON. I’ve been teaching K-6 for 12 years. Math has always been a passion of mine! I love the Making Math Moments Matter pod cast and have loved learning so I wanted to extent that!

• Gabrielle Bertrand

March 17, 2020 at 10:13 am

Greetings and Salutations!

My name is Gabrielle Bertrand, and I teach 6th math in Kittery, Maine. I am coming full circle to teaching math again after starting out 17 years ago teaching math and science on an alternative ed team, then case managing for kids with emotional disturance 4-8, and then teaching 5th grade LA/SS/Reading. Teaching math NOW though is totally different, and I am loving the change in the approach–it was something that I defintely felt was missing while teaching math in my “former” life. My hope is that my students believe that I am competent to teach math (after pouring my heart into LA and SS:) and that they trust that the no worksheet, productive struggle, “representation that with a picture or model” approach is actually teaching them math!! (Because after the traditional rules based approach, they [and parents!] are skeptical!!)

My big goal with this academy is to learn ways to help kids gain meaningful practice of the concepts that we work so hard in class to build! Thank you for this opportunity!!

Together in learning,

g

• Shayne McMillen

March 17, 2020 at 10:26 am

Hello there,

My name is Shayne McMillen. I am math/science coordinator for Regina Public Schools in Regina, Saskatchewan. Thank you for the free trial to see what your community is all about.

• Marlena Rainey

March 17, 2020 at 12:44 pm

Hello there,

My name is Marlena Rainey I am a 5th grade, Math teacher in Indiana. I have been teaching for 8 years. I have taught in two school districts both being low income and urban areas. I love teaching even though sometimes I might forget that. Lately I was asked my “Why”, “Why am I a teacher?” You see, I have always wanted to be a teacher. If it wasn’t my stuffies I was teaching I was locking my sibilings in our playroom to play school with me. I have always thought teaching was the best job ever. As I was growing up I had the opportunity to be in many schools, my single mother moved us around a lot. Seeing the inside of 22 different elementary school classrooms from K-8th grade really shaped me. I know what it is like to be the new kid and all too well I know what it is like to be the new kid and somehow I skipped too much information and felt lost and confused in Math class. I want to be a sense of relief to my kiddos when they walk in my room. I want them to be able to come in at any level and feel success and most importantly safe to learn. I joined Making Math Moments Academy to help refill my toolbox. I am greatful for this new resource!

• Garret schneider

March 26, 2020 at 7:24 am

Hello Marlena!

I’m a new member in Indiana as well!

Mainly 6th/7th grade. If you ever want some materials, let me know!

Garret Schneider

• Amanda Batty

March 17, 2020 at 1:40 pm

Hi! My name is Amanda and I am a teacher in Alberta, Canada. I teach math from 9-12 in a small rural school. I also sometimes teach high school Biology and some PE. I found my way here due to Covid-19. Our schools are shut down but we are doing our best to cover the curriculum online. I figured, if my students are doing some online learning, maybe I should too. I’m excited to get started.

• Thaddeus Strohauer

March 17, 2020 at 2:43 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Tad Strohauer and I am a 7th grade math teacher in San Diego county. I am a first-year teacher, and I came across Jon and Kyle’s podcast about a month ago. I have loved the content of their podcast and saw this free trial during this time of school closures and thought it was a great opportunity. I am looking for practical ways to engage students in authentic math that they see value and beauty in. I want my students to be curious about the world and learn how to be problem solvers, but my classroom doesn’t look anything like that right now. Looking forward to this learning opportunity!

• Leigh Stuart

March 17, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Hi!

My name is Leigh Stuart. I teach in rural Southwest Virginia. I am one of two 4th grade teachers in my school which makes up the whole district. This is my 26th year in education. I started my career in NC teaching 3rd grade, then moved to VA where I spent 10 years as a Reading Recovery teacher and another 9 years teaching reading and writing to 5th grade. The past 6 years have been spent teaching math to 4th and 5th graders. I have been listening to your podcasts for a few months and tuned in some of my fellow educators to your expertise. I was ecstatic to jump on the opportunity for a free month of your academy!

• Anne Skaggs

March 17, 2020 at 10:58 pm

What’s up y’all! My name is Anne Skaggs and I’m a 3rd grade math and science teacher in San Angelo, TX. This is my 5th year teaching. I started teaching in my 30s after working in banking and accounting for 10 years. Love the math, hate starting at a computer screen all day! Rofl

I look forward to learning from everyone here and getting new ideas to implement in my classroom!

• Ben Newman

March 18, 2020 at 6:08 am

Hey MMM Community!

My name is Ben Newman and I teach at the Western Academy of Beijing in China. I teach both Grade 8 and Grade 10 maths, both of which follow the IB MYP program.

Our school closed during the Chinese New Year holiday (24th Jan ish) and many of faculty and students scattered across the globe. From wherever we all landed, we have been teaching maths online for the past 6 weeks. We are currently relaxing a little during our Spring Break holiday and looking towards the probability of not returning to Beijing before the end of this semester.

Have been following the MMM crew for a while and the combination of trying to maintain engagement online through curiosity, fun and exploration and, honestly, the free month of access to the Academy have led me here!

Looking forward to finding and developing some good ideas to take back to our online school.

Take Care All

Cheers

Ben

• Deb Brow

March 18, 2020 at 5:20 pm

Hi, I am Deb.

I am in the Ann Arbor, MI area.

I have taught high school and junior college.

Currently, I am teaching mostly senior math students. (Algebra2/PreCalc)

and now …. we are strictly online!!!

I am very comfortable with technology but, I am struggling with giving students emotional support and also include some math. 🙂

Strange times indeed.

• Usha Kolachalam

March 18, 2020 at 8:54 pm

Hello! My name is Usha Kolachalam. This is my 15th year of teaching and the most eventful one. I teach 7th grade Math in Cupertino,CA. I would like to learn strategies to be a more effective teacher. I am a life long learner and feel that there is always something new to learn…this thought brought me to your academy.

• Margaret Bright

March 19, 2020 at 1:28 pm

Hello! My name is Margaret. I’m a 2nd grade teacher in TN and I’m hoping to learn new ways to engage my students in math.

• Cheryl Heldt

March 19, 2020 at 3:05 pm

Hello! Cheryl Heldt ]from Las Vegas, NV. I currently teach technology K-5 to over 600 students, but I will be teaching 4th grade math and science next school year.

I graduated from the University of Oregon and taught for a few years before staying home to raise my three kids. I decided to get back into teaching through Teach for America and was placed in Alabama. I earned my MA in Mathematics Teaching from Mount Holyoke College.

I am eager to get back into teaching mathematics. My goal is to become an instructional coach.

• Daniel Weinstein

March 19, 2020 at 5:01 pm

Hi all!

I’m Daniel and I currently teach 6-7-8-Algebra in Chicago.

Always looking to grow so that’s why I’m here. I’ve listened to a few episodes of the podcast and have always enjoyed.

Happy to be here and look forward to connecting with other math teachers. I teach at a small school and I’m the only math teacher for my grade band.

• Jordan Jooste

March 21, 2020 at 10:14 am

Hi! I’m Jordan Jooste a South African high school maths teacher. I teach grades 8-12 at a school in Cape Town. It is my first year teaching this year and I love listening to your podcast(was mentioned a podcast or two back)! This inforced break from school means I have time to do some more lesson planning and bettering myself as a teacher. So excited to see what I’m going to learn here.

• Kyle Kline

March 21, 2020 at 2:13 pm

Hello all!

My name is Kyle Kline and I am a Math Curriculum & Technology Integration Specialist in Delphi, Indiana. My background is 9-12 math, but this is my 5th year in my current role. My first 4 years were focused on grades 6-12, but this year I have added K-5 to make my position a full district role. I have really enjoyed being a part of the elementary school and seeing how students learn, what they learn, and how teachers teach it to the students.

I’ve been a huge follower of the Making Math Moments that Matter podcast from the beginning! I’ve always wanted to join the Academy, but have never had the time. Now that school is out, and we are only using eLearning for 3 days a week, I now have the chance to learn and implement some of the activities I have heard about. I can’t wait to continue this journey and I am really excited to learn everything I can!

• Nicholas Pyzik

March 21, 2020 at 2:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name is Nick Pyzik and I am a Elementary Resource Teacher for Baltimore County Public Schools in Maryland. I support teachers in multiple schools implement our curriculum and their understanding of the math standards for our district. I love being able to show teachers how to make the math come alive for their students that also gets at a deeper understanding. I am hoping to learn more ways to engage students and teachers in meaningful mathematics learning.

• Abel Munoz

March 21, 2020 at 3:45 pm

Hello, my name is Abel Munoz. I live in Nashville, TN. I teach 5th Grade Math and I have been at my current school for 4 years.

• Heidi Peterson

March 23, 2020 at 8:41 am

Hi!

I am a middle school math teacher and I teach all the 6th grade through Algebra 1 classes in my PreK-8 building. I teach in an extremely diverse Chicago Public School (you name a way that diversity is measured we have it).

I was not a “math person” growing up. I majored in theater in college and worked in small theaters for years after graduating. I also taught myself relational database theory and basic programing during my “day job” and worked concurrently in IT. Eventually, I became a career changer and started teaching.

I have only taught middle school (14 years), but I have taught all the core subjects. In fact, for my first seven years I taught 8th grade all subjects (non-departmentalized).

I’m here to up my own game as a teacher and to
    find ways I can support my K-5 colleagues who are not specialists.

• Jennifer Fil

March 23, 2020 at 12:29 pm

Hi there, Happy Monday!

I’m Jennifer, from Winnipeg, MB. I am a high school mathematics teacher, grade 9 to 12. I have always been interested in mathematics and numeracy. I’m always looking to increase engagement, collaboration, conversations and inquiry tasks in my math classroom.

• Barbara Antonetti

March 23, 2020 at 1:48 pm

I am Barbara, a 29 year veteran teacher, and this is my first year teaching fifth grade. I live in Utah, but taught in WI for 16 years before moving out here. We had an earthquake Wednesday, the 18th, our first day of implementing distance learning, I haven’t felt many afterschocks, but the kids in my class have. I joined because I have furthered my understanding of math so much over the years, but I know I can do more to have it make sense to my kiddos.

• Tiffany Arnaldo

March 23, 2020 at 3:04 pm

Hello!

Tiffany Arnaldo checking in from Encinitas, CA. I am the 10th grade math teacher at High Tech High North County. This is my first year at this school. Prior to this I was a 9th grade math teacher at Oceanside High School.

My background…this is my second career. I was a Navy pilot. Lots of interesting stories there, as most vets will have!

I joined Making Math Moments Matter as I have been a big fan for years now…love the podcast. I actually met you both at NCTM in San Fran years ago very curious about your badging system. I’m really excited to be connecting again.

• Victoria Murphy

March 23, 2020 at 7:58 pm

Hello from the Boston area,

My name is Victoria Murphy and I teach 6th grade math in a middle school. I have been trying to catch up on the podcasts the last couple of months as I just stumbled upon it one day as I was researching math workshops. I am currently finishing my 26th year and we have moved from a homogeneous grouping (an accelerated class and grade level class) to all 6th graders in heteorgenous math classes. As I have been listening, I am loving the idea of giving a grappling problem at the beginning of the lesson and see what happens. :). Then take their answers to lead them to the math I need to teach. I was recently listening to spiraling and am curious about how to spiral within the 6th grade curriculum.

Now though, as we get into this new territory, I am also looking at how to possibly be teaching with distance learning. We are currently only closed until April 7th but anticipate being out longer.

Thank you for allowing me to join your community to work on some of my own learning while we have some open time. I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

• Deb Meyer

March 23, 2020 at 11:00 pm

Hi there,

My name is Deb Meyer and I teach Grade 7 and 8 math in a K to 8 school in Ontario. Like many teachers right now, I am trying to figure out how to effectively teach my students through a digital platform. I have been teaching for over 25 years, but this is definitely the most challenging situation because so much is unknown at this time.

Over the years, I have had the privilege of attending some workshops presented by Kyle and Jon. I always left their workshops feeling invigorated and with lots of useful, adaptable ideas. I know that this opportunity will be the same — and it is exactly what I need to share with my students now.

Thanks for the invite.

• Meghan McOmber

March 24, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Meghan McOmber and I am a Grade 7 teacher in a K-8 school in Winnipeg. I discovered your podcast over the summer, and am looking forward to taking this course to a) further my personal growth over these unprecedented times and b)get ideas on how to better support my students through a digital platform. Thanks for the resources and opportunity to connect with fellow educators!

• Anne Hambrick

March 24, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Hi! I’m from Cincinnati and teach in a private elementary school. I really appreciate this opportunity to grow through your professional development resources NOW–while there’s some unscheduled time due to the virus.

I’m a gifted instructional specialist who also teaches some “non-gifted” students. I teach enrichment math to gr. 1-2, teach cross-curricular enrichment to gr. 3-7, and teach some jr. high math groups not at the gifted level.

I love all things math. In the beginning weeks of Covid-19, it was fascinating (uggh) to use the virus as an example of exponential growth. Right from the beginning the curve was there just as it is every year with influenza. As time went on we quit looking at the curve b/c I didn’t want to scare children. For myself, though, looking at science and math helps me distance myself from fear. One sentence to balance that out is, “Behind every data point there is a person.” Math serves humanity, just as science does.

Looking forward to using your site! Thanks so much!

Anne

• Sara Thomson

March 24, 2020 at 6:52 pm

Hello there!

I am Sara Thomson, socially distancing myself in Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia. I am a first year P-6 math coach after teaching Intensive Math for 2 years, Grade 3/4 for 4 years and Grade 7 and 8 for 5 years.

Uncertain as to what the next few weeks will look like but I am looking forward to checking out all of the courses posted!

I really appreciate the free trial!

• Lisa Cantor

March 24, 2020 at 7:28 pm

Hi,

My name is Lisa and I teach Grade 7 math in Richmond Hill, Ontario. I am also the MYP coordinator which means that we use special rubrics to assess math performance.

I joined the Making Math Matter, because now as we transition to teaching online, I wanted to have better activities to engage my students who are learning from a distance.

I’m looking forward to learning lots and hearing from other IB educators who might be able to share tasks, units and assessments.

Grinning

• Adrianne Burns

March 25, 2020 at 2:58 pm

Hello. My name is Adrianne Burns. I am a middle school math coach and interventionist in De Pere, WI. I have been in middle school my entire career and have taught math and computer literacy. I joined the academy to expand my support group as I help transition teachers to online learning. I also thought this might be a good time to do some PD with Jon and Kyle, although my schedule has been much more busy than I thought it would be.

• Lori Walker

March 25, 2020 at 5:26 pm
    • Who you are? Lori Walker
    • Where are you? Murfreesboro, TN
    • What’s your role in education? I teach 2nd grade Math & Science online with K12 through TN Virtual Academy
    • What grade levels do you teach? 2nd Grade
    • What’s your background? I’ve taught 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade with Math being my main focus in the middle school grades & all subjects in the lower grades.
    • Any cool stories to tell? I have 4 years of a fun, math training through a grant funded project called Project Impact.
    • Why did you join the Making Math Moments Academy? I need more PD time.
    • Irma Gomillion

March 25, 2020 at 5:52 pm

Hey Lori. Cyber Academy is also a K12 school. Great to see you here. Looking forward to learning lots more.

• Irma Gomillion

March 25, 2020 at 5:50 pm

Hello! I’m Irma Gomillion and I am in the beautiful state of South Carolina. I currently work with Cyber Academy of South Carolina as a High School Lead Teacher where I help to support the math and social studies departments. I am a math certified teacher and I have taught for 14 years now. I love working virtually and have taught virutally for almost 9 years now. WOW, time really does fly when you’re having fun. This is different for me now learning how to work at home while my students school at home. I’m a mother to 4 – 3 teenagers and one pre-teen. I joined because I am always looking for new ideas and ways to enhance my teaching the the teaching of those who I support.

• Garret schneider

March 26, 2020 at 7:30 am

Hello!

My name is Garret Schneider, and I teach in Noblesville, Indiana!

I am a 6th Grade Math Teacher who teaches standard/regular ed and bridges/honors math!

I taught inner-city high school for 7 years, and then moved to Indiana with my wife, kids, and pups, and this is my 3rd year teaching middle school in a suburban district! I love it a whole lot!

I started teaching my doing a teaching-fellows program (similar to Teach-For-America, but region-specific) and really fell in love with the whole thing. I really like using technology to allow students as many attempts as possible in learning the information (any ExamView users out there? I love programming in it!), and I LOVE using math research to become a better teacher!

I don’t have many cool stories to tell, but it really warms my heart when I get nice notes from the kids at christmas and the end of the year. Halfway through 3rd quarter (the LONGEST QUARTER OF THE YEAR), I have the students write thank-you letters to their favorite teacher (not allowed to be me!), and I really enjoy putting them all in the teachers’ mailboxes! Everyone needs a boost!

I joined because I REALLY want to teach by tasks and spiraling, and this is the best place to really learn how to do both!

Thanks for allowing me to join!

Garret Schneider

numberpunk@gmail.com

• Monique Cabellon

March 26, 2020 at 5:06 pm

I am Monique Cabellon, a Title I Math Specialist in Renton, WA. I work with K-3 and am the only Title Math Teacher in the district. Before I took this role, I taught 2nd and 3rd grades and had been specializing in math instruction for about 13 years. I jumped at the opportunity to take the Title Math role with dreams and aspirations of revolutionizing the way teachers teach math and supporting the development of students’ mathematical identities. It’s been real hard! I didn’t realize how resistant to change teachers can be. Your podcast has validated my ideas and continues to spark my passion for change. I am wanting to increase my ability to create change by joining the MMM Academy.Hugging

• Stacy Camp

March 27, 2020 at 11:42 am

Hello!

My name is Stacy Camp. I teach 7th grade math in Westhampton, MA and hold both 5-8 and 8-12 teaching licenses.

As an undergrad, I majored in math and completed my student teaching to become a licensed teacher. I’ve never looked back! Teaching is definitely for me, as is math.

I joined the Making Math Moments Academy because I truly believe in inquiry-based learning strategies. However, I find that I struggle to really implement this type of learning well. I do it as often as I can, but ideally would like my classroom dynamic to change so inquiry (or other similar teaching methods) is the expectation, not the thing we do every now and again. I am hoping to fine tune strategies I already use, and find new ones. I think one of the most helpful things for me would be ideas for setting the tone at the start of a school year.

• PATRICIA NOELL

March 27, 2020 at 1:36 pm

I live in North Texas. My 55 year career started with teaching algebra & geometry in grades 9, 10 in 1962 – 5 years after Sputnik was launched. I’ve only taught 5 years in secondary math, but about 15 as an adjunct accounting professor (10 of those online). Becoming a single parent of 3 young kids and in heavy debt I left teaching to pay the bills. I’ve worked in accounting, then acquired an MBA and eventually at age 56 an EdD. Most of my career has been in the intersection of education and business. I recently started a math tutoring business, expecting to go to students’ homes. That will never happen, so I am moving the new business online. I have two interns, both graduating HS seniors math whizzes, going on to major in math and/or engineering in college They are really good at online homework help. and I am impressed.

• Ronda Brown

March 27, 2020 at 2:00 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Ronda Brown. I live and work in a community just south of St. Louis, Missouri, USA. I teach high school math ( mostly geometry and a skill recovery course called Pre-geo). I am also a department chair (share the job) for our department.

I grew up in a small town on a farm, met my hubby in college and he moved me to the big city.

I joined this because a colleague of mine started challenging me to think about what grades really mean, and whether or not there isn’t a better way. Now I am hooked and can’t stand teaching the old way, but I feel like I am stumbling forward blindly.

I am also hoping to take advantage of this “online learning time to really change my approach in the classroom.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  Ronda Brown.
  • Lisa Cottrell

March 28, 2020 at 4:43 pm

hello everyone!

I am currently on maternity leave for my third daughter, but getting ready to head back to the “classroom” in the next few months – although it will look very different from when I left. I work in Orangeville, Ontario, Canada and schools here are most likely to be closed for the next while. The province it attempting a shift to online learning supports, but the role we as teachers will play is still undecided.

I have qualification to teach from Kindergarten to Grade 8, a specialist in Mathematics and my part two in Special Education. Most of my past teaching has been in developmentally delayed classrooms or as the school wide support teacher for resource and special education. This will be the first time I’m going back to a mainstream classroom, and I might not ever get to meet the students, depending on when I go back.

I’m looking forward to expanding and enriching my math understanding and pedagogy. I hope to create a valuable support network for this new challenge.

Hope everyone is safe in these crazy times.

~ Lisa

• Brent Jones

March 28, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Hey Everyone!

My name is Brent Jones and I’m a 3rd year teacher in Sacramento, California. This year I’m teaching 4 sections of Integrated Math 1 and 1 section of IB Math Studies.

I joined the Making Math Moments Academy to help with online learning. I’ve been listening to the podcast since it’s inception, and haven’t taken the time to join. But now that we’re teaching from home and trying to figure out what that’s going to look like, I figured now would be the best time to jump in!

Excited to learn and grow alongside some great math educators!

~Brent

• Tina Hatch

March 29, 2020 at 9:11 am

Hi, Tina Hatch here. I’m in Mesa, Arizona.

Thanks for making this resource available right now!

I teach Algebra 1 (9th grade) and Contemporary Math (11th-12th grade). This is my 3rd year teaching math full-time. My previous careers include Radar Data Analysis, Embedded Software Engineering, Full-time Mom, and Real Estate Broker.

Decided to teach math at my local high school…well because I figured out I really like high school kids, and I love math. My goal is to create a classroom environment where students no longer fear/hate math, where they begin to understand that math is more about the process than the correct answer.

You can find me on twitter @MathHatch.

I’m excited to see what this space has to offer!

• Jami Ricard

March 29, 2020 at 4:57 pm

Hello, community!

My name is Jami Ricard. I am an eighth grade math teacher in Massachusetts; I have 4 sections of Math 8 and one section of Algebra. I am very excited to be a part of such an inspirational group. We are starting remote learning on 4/13! I am looking for ways to make math meaningful and fun for the kids! At the same time, I am looking for ideas about how to make sure they are prepared for next year and which topics are the must-haves… So much to think about. I love the podcast and am looking at this time as an opportunity to try some of the strategies and philosophies I have learned about!

• Kimberly Bender

March 29, 2020 at 5:41 pm

I’m Kim from Richmond, VA. I’m a K-8 math specialist, currently in a role that is a blend of content and tech coaching. For the last 12 years, I served as a division level math coach. Prior to that I served as a Title 1 Math Specialist and a third grade teacher in a Title 1 school. I’ve wanted to join this group for a while and decided that I should go for it now that I have a little free time.

• Who you are?
    • Where are you?
    • What’s your role in education?
    • What grade levels do you teach?
    • What’s your background?
    • Why did you join the Making Math Moments Academy?
  • Joyle Goeken

March 31, 2020 at 3:04 pm

Hi,

My name is Joyle Goeken. I live right outside of St. Louis, MO in Troy, IL. Currently, I teach 8th grade Pre Algebra and Algebra. This is my 16th year of teaching and has been the roughest by far. You name it, then it has happened. I am adapting quite well to ELearning, but miss my students and anyone else that isn’t my husband. I am having trouble balancing any type of life other than school. Truth be told, I was that way before the quarantine. I joined because I enjoy listening the the Making Math Moments Matter podcast.

• Beth Alsberg

April 17, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Just wanted to say hello! I am a new member, and I was reading through other folks’ intros as I was getting ready to write mine. Yours really resonated with me — especially the part “I am having trouble balancing any type of life other than school. Truth be told, I was that way before the quarantine.” I can sooo relate!

• Brittany Fraser

April 1, 2020 at 12:47 pm

Hi, my name is Brittany Fraser. I teach Grade 5 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I teach all subjects except for French and Music. This year my primary focus for professional growth has been on revamping my math instruction. I am a huge fan of your podcasts and I am looking forward to learning more from the academy, especially during this unusual time of remote teaching!

• Angie Oliveros

April 1, 2020 at 6:06 pm

Hi, I’m Angie Oliveros

I’ve been teaching 14 years in the Clark County School District, which is in Las Vegas, Nevada. I currently teach 6th Grade Math at Lied STEM Academy. I’ve taught 3rd-5th grade as well as Resource. Our school is project based and we’ve done away with formal end of semester exams. I joined because I’ve been listening to the podcasts and I love learning 🙂

• SHELLY GILBERT

April 2, 2020 at 8:45 am

Shelly Gilbert

Findlay, Ohio

Grade 6 Mathematics

I am in my thirty-third year of teaching. I have taught sixth graders math the past 12 years.

The students have Chromebooks and all but a few have internet access, so that has not been a major issue. But getting them online at the same time has been impossible. They are responsible for siblings and/or the home network won’t support more than one student and the parents working from home…so video and one-on-one has been the way I am staying connected to the kids. I do have an office hour where kids can come. It has been mostly social, and I think they need that time, too.

I am looking for ideas to keep the kids learning. The first two weeks we reviewed and got used to our new normal, but I have not exposed them to all the standards. We need to keep learning in a meaningful way.

• Sandra Dulac

April 2, 2020 at 5:57 pm

Hello, my name is Sandra and I teach grade 3 French Immersion in Brantford. Math has always been a passion of mine. I am the math lead at my school and always enjoy learning more. I am grateful that this academy is being offered right now as we transition to online learning, brand new territory for me!

• Jason Roslonek

April 3, 2020 at 9:47 am

Hi my name is Jason Roslonek. I am a 6th grade math teacher in the Quincy Public School System in Massacusetts. I have been teaching for 20 years. I am looking to find better ways to use technology to help my students in this most trying time.

• Claudia Sever

April 5, 2020 at 10:02 am

Hi! My name is Claudia Sever and I teach Pre-Algebra to 7th and 8th graders in West Palm Beach Florida.

I am originally from Venezuela but moved to the US more than 25 years ago. I have been in education for more than 20 years but I have been teaching math for 9 years. I went to the University of Michigan (Economics) and became an Economics teacher for several Community Colleges. I always knew that my “true call” is teaching but I never thought I would have the patience to teach kids until I tried it. I love it, not every aspect of it…I have to admit…but I get up every morning happy to be a teacher.

My goal regarding the academy is to learn more about problem-based learning/teaching and to gain practical ways to effectively implement it in my classroom

• Andrea Clark

April 7, 2020 at 8:12 am

My name is Andrea Clark, and I am a 5-6th grade math teacher in Austin, Texas. I teach at a small, private, IB school, and I have been there for 5 years, though I have been teaching various elementary grades for 10 years.​ I am excited to finally be getting into middle school math, because that is really where I want to be.​ I had some really amazing discussions with my students before we went to distance learning, so I am missing that kind of collaboration a lot. I joined the Academy because I want to learn more about effective teaching as I move up in the middle school grades

• Heather Boysel

April 8, 2020 at 11:15 am

Hi! My name is Heather Boysel, and I have been teaching for 23 years. I am currently teaching 5th grade math and science in North Carolina. My goal in math is to build conceptual and procedural knowledge that empowers them to be problem solvers. I am also a trainer for Foundations of Math, which is a course offered to NC educators. This training empowers teachers to reflect on their math practices and to build content knowedge to strengthen classroom instruction.

• Kim Sklepowich

April 9, 2020 at 11:05 am

I’m Kim from Winnipeg, MB. I teach grade 10-12 math in a smallish community just east of Winnipeg. THis is my 29th year of teaching.

I am here because I don’t ever want to become “that math teacher” who just reaches in to their binder and picks out the lesson for today. I pride myself in trying to be there for my students in all the ways that I possibly can to be able to support them in the best possible ways. I am here to seeking out new ways to do this

Thanks

Kim

• Ella Platt

April 10, 2020 at 9:56 am

Ella P.

Maryland

Classroom teacher 7th grade

Always trying to improve

• Becky Redling

April 10, 2020 at 10:45 am

Hi I’m Becky Redling. I have been teaching for 31 years all in my hometown of Hopewell, Virignia. I am currently a Math Instructional Coach but my school system doesn’t quite know what that means. I work at an elementary school. I have been inspired by you and I want to inspire others.

• Louise Tessier

April 10, 2020 at 11:12 am

Hi everyone – my name is Louise Tessier and I am a first year 6th grade math teacher in Philadelphia.

I graduated college with a mathematics degree, and after college I signed up to teach adult women math. With no background in how to teach math and no training, I very much just explained math procedurally. In hindsight, this was not very effective. Since then, I have been to grad school and almost survived my first year of teaching (!!!). I have learned so much in the last two years about how to engage students in math and encourage them to make sense of things on their own. ​I joined this acedemy to continue learning and growing as a math educator!!

Grateful for platforms like this to exist. Excited to be here!

• Sherryl Proctor

April 11, 2020 at 4:11 pm

My name is Sherryl Proctor, and I teach 11/12 graders in a career center in NW Ohio. I teach Alg 2 and Financial Algebra. I am a Desmos fellow, and have been listening to the podcasts for a while, and wanted to find online pd. I am always looking for ways to motivate my students to become active learners.

• Liza Driz-Verayo

April 12, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Hi all, I’m Liza from Los Angeles, CA. I’m a Resource Specialist Teacher currently teaching K-5th. I have been teaching for more than 20 years now. I’ve taught a wide spectrum of students based on abilities. I’ve taught intellectually gifted students, students in general education in both private and public schools, as well as students with mild to moderate disabilities. I have to say that my heart is in teaching students with special needs, particularly students with autism and learning disabilities. It is certainly more difficult but their successes, no matter how small, are just amazing.

I have been a fan of the podcast since August of last year. I found it because of my search for more information about Dr. Jo Boaler. Over the summer of 2019, I did some reflection on the traditional way that I’ve always taught math (rote memorization and algorithm). The more I did research, the more I realized how lacking my instruction is. This brought me to read Dr. Boaler’s book, listen to the podcast when she was your guest, and I guess the rest is history. I am here to learn more strategies to make learning more fun and more meaningful to my students.

• Kathy Schoen

April 13, 2020 at 10:39 am

Hi, I’m Kathy. I am the only middle school math teacher at a Montessori school. I teach all kids from 6th-8th grade. I also have a group of students in Algebra. I have 10 preps total. I am looking forward to getting some ideas to making math more interesting and fun for my students.

• Melissa Rodriguez

April 13, 2020 at 1:55 pm

My name is Melissa Rodriguez. I am a teacher in NYC and teach grades 9-12. I teach everything from Algebra to Calculus. I am joining this during the early stages of Remote Learning but really want to learn some ways to transform my classroom so that students aren’t just doing practice after watching me do math but really experiencing math for themselves.

I have been an educator for 12 years and taught at the same school for about 10 years so far. I am a math department head but want to use this to help transform my classroom and the other classrooms at the school!

• Shannon Binotto

April 14, 2020 at 12:37 pm

My name is Shannon Binotto and I teach Grade 6 Math in Ottawa, Canada. I am looking forward to adding to my professional toolkit in order to become a better educator, especially now during this transition to online teaching.

• Deanice Trytten

April 14, 2020 at 1:52 pm

Hey! My name is Deanice Trytten and I teach 6th grade in Laguna Hills, CA. I have taught at the same school for about 30 years…not sure where the time went!! I am focusing on math instruction this year through the OC Department of Ed program called Lead STEM Practitioner. I teach in a K-6 school and it will be a Title 1 school next year. I teach my math class through a flipped, self-paced model. My goal is to add more opportunities for the students to explore tasks together as a class. I am very interested in learning about math talks and tasks in order to incorporate them more frequently.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    April 14, 2020 at 9:18 pm

Wow, what an amazing bunch who have joined us inside the Academy recently!

Welcome aboard. We think you’ll like it here.

Get going on your Progress Log! We can’t wait to learn alongside y’all!

• Amy Casey

April 14, 2020 at 9:29 pm

Hi! My name is Amy Casey from Connecticut. I have been “lurking in the shadows” and enrolled because I LOVE the resources you guys put out! However, I have been swamped supporting teachers with distance learning that I haven’t had time to do my OWN learning here with you! So hoping to make up for some lost time. 🙂

I am an instructional math coach who works with grade 5 and 6 primarily. Last year, I was in a K-4 building in the same role, so I hope to gain ideas and strategies for grade 5/6 teachers and help our staff see that math learning can still be fun in upper grades!

• Jennifer Oliger

April 15, 2020 at 2:18 pm

I am Jennnifer Oliger,. I teach 4th/5th grades in San Diego, CA. I have been teaching about 24 years. I joined to try it out and get new ideas for teaching math.

• Kiely Goss

April 15, 2020 at 4:20 pm

Hi all,

I am Kiely Goss, I’m a first year teacher in MA for a small religious private school. I have a fifth grade class, but am considered the “math person” for the upper elementary teachers and students. I have come a long way from being the math hater in every class since 3rd grade!

I had a difficult class for student teaching, but while I was student teaching, one of the other fifth grade teachers helped get my class and I excited for math visuals. I am here to hopefully learn more about inspiring a different (more positive connection) with math in my students. I am loving the 3 Act Math tasks so far!

• bill Zbozny del percio

April 17, 2020 at 12:50 pm

Hi everyone!

I am Bill Zbozny Del Percio, I am from and live and teach in the Pittsburgh area. I teach 3rd grade and love it. I joined the academy to see what it is all about and to see if I can find some good stuff to help with remote teaching that is going on now.

• Melinda Fant

April 17, 2020 at 1:32 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Melinda Fant and I am currently in my third year of teaching at my current school in Lowell, Massachusetts after leaving the school I was teaching Pre-K in (13 years) to go to grad school full time for my masters degree. I was in a first grade inclusive classroom my first two years and then took the big jump to 4th grade Math and Science this year and teach two classes multiple times a day ( one day is officially referred to as Math-o-rama day by one of my classes because we have 3 periods of math together that day).

I joined because I’m looking for a way to make math as interactive as possible and show students that they are mathmaticians and that math is everywhere! I’m also looking for lots of ideas to make math engaging and even (dare I say it…)fun! Especially as we venture on this new road of virtual learning where I now have them all in one class a day for 45 minutes a day.

• Beth Alsberg

April 17, 2020 at 2:21 pm

Hi! My name is Beth Alsberg, and I am in my 22nd year of teaching middle-schoolers (though with this distance-learning thing, I feel like a first-year teacher again!).

I started my career in public school just south of Oakland, CA, teaching 6th graders for six years. Then I made the switch to an independent school in El Cerrito, CA, and I have been teaching 8th graders here for the last sixteen years.

I love my colleagues, but I miss having people to collaborate with. (There are four math teachers in our 5-8 school, with just one math teacher per grade.) This is one of the reasons I joined the Academy — I am looking for inspiration and collaboration with people who teach the same grade as me.

I started listening to this podcast earlier in the year, and there is something in every episode that energizes me and makes me think. I joined the Academy hoping for more!

• Sunni Burns

April 24, 2020 at 11:01 am

Hi! As you can see above my name is Sunni. I work in Virginia at a public school here. I have been teaching for 25 years the old way but I have started slow changes over the last few years. I changed school districts 2 years ago and now i am changing schools next school year. I am a national board certified teacher. I also just finished taking the MMM class.

Hope everyone is safe and healthy

• Dana Adams

April 24, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Hello, my name is Dana Adams. I am an elementary Math Coach working with teachers K-6 in Kent, WA. I taught middle school (7/8) math for 10 years before transitioning down to support teacher learning.

I am here to find resources to help support my math teachers as they transition their math teaching to a student centered approach.

• Laura Johns

April 26, 2020 at 5:04 pm

Hello from midcoast Maine! I have been teaching middle school math for about 25 years in classrooms that have ranged from 3 to 25 students. I am really looking forward to learning new tricks and making math irresitable to my students.

• Amy Snider

April 27, 2020 at 5:44 pm

Hi All,

My name is Amy Snider. I am in Nova Scotia, Canada. I am curently an Elementary Math Support Specialist with a focus on grade 2 and 3. I am in my 14th year of teaching, have a B.A., B.Ed and an M.Ed in Diverse Learning, and I am working through my Math Certificate Program through St. Fx University.

I joined this community because we have a 30 day free trial so I am hoping to get a better idea of the content and benefits. Excited to be here!

• Star Melvin

May 1, 2020 at 12:03 pm

My name is Star, I am a certified middle grades math teacher. However, I haven’t taught in 15 years (stayed home with the kids). I went back into the school system in a different state than I originally taught in and started off slow. I have worked the last 5 years in the school system, three years as a substitute teacher and the last 2 years as an in class math tutor at a title 1 middle school in NC. I am considering going back to teaching next year and I am trying to gain more knowledge on teaching in a more engaging way. I want students to like coming to math!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    May 4, 2020 at 8:14 pm

Welcome to the Math Moment Maker Academy Community!

So great to have y’all!

Be sure to hop into the Progress Log area to set yourself some SMART Goals!
    @amy-casey @jennifer-oliger @kiely-goss @bill-zbozny-del-percio @melinda-fant @beth-alsberg @sunni-burns @dana-adams @laura-johns @amy-snider @star-melvin

• Natalie VanWyngaarden

May 17, 2020 at 11:15 pm

My name is Natalie. I have taught a wide variety of grades and subjects (e.g., grades 2,3,4, 7,8). Currently I am now teaching grade 7 math. This is a new assignment for me but I am excited about it.

• Jennifer Beckingham

May 19, 2020 at 11:00 am

Hi. I’m Jen. I live in The Pas, Manitoba. I teach grades three and four math and I do math support. I am looking for ways to improve my teaching and support the diverse needs of my students.

• Brandi Sidley

May 22, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Hi! My name is Brandi Sidley. I am a sixth grade teacher in Sacramento, CA. Teaching is my third (maybe fourth career) after being a legal secretary, family and wedding photographer and SAHM. I have taught fifth and third grades and am now right where I want to be with the pre-teens.

When I was a long-term sub in fifth grade I would get so frustrated with the curriculum. It never had what I wanted, it didn’t seem to have a logical order and the students were not growing.

When I started teaching third grade, I had the same experience and ultimately started using a different curriculum. Oops – that didn’t go over so well as our admin didn’t love the thought of one grade level “dropping in” curriculum. However, our test scores were far above any other grade at the school.

Fast forward four years, third grade scores are still at the top and I’m now teaching sixth grade. Again, frustration, aggravation and ultimately research, research, research…and here I am. I now know that I need to go back to the beginning, learn what I never learned (like what the heck subitizing is) either in my own math education or any of my credential classes.

I’m excited to learn how to get my students excited about math.

• Jenna

May 28, 2020 at 3:50 am

Hi! I’m Jenna, 25 and I’m a Scottish Primary teacher currently teaching in New Zealand. I teach primary 1-7 (year 1-8 NZ). I only just moved to NZ in January so am still getting used to the newness of everything. My specialty is with self/peer assessment strategies implemented throughout the schools I have worked in and phonics.

I’ve always been more confident in literacy which is partly why I started to listen to the podcast because I had spent 2 years solely focused on it and had to move on to strengthening Numeracy which is what made me join this course.

I moved to NZ basically by accident when I uploaded my CV to the wrong recruitment service in August Joy within a month I had a job and decided to take the leap and go on an adventure (best mistake ever!) Blush

• Luisa de Carteret

June 1, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Hi,

My name is Luisa. I am finishing my third year of teaching math to middle schoolers in Northridge, CA.

I look forward to learning how to design more exploratory lessons as I do believe this leads to more permanent learning. I try to incorporate this practice as much as possible, however, I know that I do give in to pre-teaching or algorithm-giving when I eventually look at the clock….. I will definitely be looking for perseverance tactics in order to keep both my students and myself on track with this type of learning!

• Jacquelyn Harland

June 8, 2020 at 2:43 am

Hi Math groupies:),

Jacquelyn Harland here from Arvada Colorado. I teach 7th an 8th Grade math; however, I have taught science, English, engineering, social studies, STEM, 5-12 grades. I was a registered dietitian for 10 years, graduated with a masters in Education, undergraduate chemistry and dietetics.

Life has got me on a roller coaster ride….just let me know when I can get of:)

• Melissa Garretson

June 11, 2020 at 1:39 pm

I teach High School Mathematics

I teach at JPII in Plano TX

Teacher, ACDEC coach

9th, 10th, and 11th

• James Doherty

June 23, 2020 at 10:01 am

Jim Doherty here. I teach and live at an independent day and boarding school in northeastern PA. Just finished my 10th year here, my 33rd year as a high school math teacher. I will be teaching Precalculus Honors, Calculus Honors, and AP Calculus BC in the fall. Been moving in the direction of a more problem based approach to math curriculum for awhile. I became aware of Jon and Kyle through my twitter community and I am excited to see what I can find here.

• Iris Windom

July 7, 2020 at 7:43 pm

Hi. My name is Iris and I live in San Bernardino in Southern California. I’m a 6th grade teacher in San Bernardino City Unified School District. I’m currently teaching on an elementary school campus. I spent my first 12 years in middle school, teaching Social Studies and Science for 8 of those years. Elementary school has been a challenge for me. I really struggled with math because it took me a while to get the conceptual side of teaching multiple subjects and the management skills necessary to wrap my head around the concepts, especially in math. I discovered MMM by accident and fell in love with you guys. Your planning strategies have helped me tremendously. My hope is that I will be able to gain strategies to engage my learners via distance learning.

• Colin Hamilton

July 14, 2020 at 10:49 am
    • Who you are? –> Colin Hamilton!
    • Where are you? –> Dallas Texas
    • What’s your role in education? –> Secondary Math Guide (Teacher)
    • What grade levels do you teach? –> Specifically 9th and 10th
    • What’s your background?–> I have tutored for 7 years and taught fro 4.5 years. Moved to a school with a lower income demographic intentionally because all students can do math well and I believe it can be a way to elevate lower Socio-economic groups.
    • Any cool stories to tell? –> Yes, before I even radically changed my teaching style from memorization to understanding, I always pushed for the idea of valuing struggle. I had a girl who was always on the fence of passing my Honors Algebra 2 course and the following year, she came back and told me that she believes she is smart because of how I constantly believed in her and challenged her.
    • Why did you join the Making Math Moments Academy? –> I want to improve. I want to grow. Math education needs a change and it starts in the classroom and will work its way out. VERY EXCITED.
  • Kay Galuska

July 14, 2020 at 6:05 pm
    • Who you are? Kay Galuska
    • Where are you? Madison, WI
    • What’s your role in education? Algebra 1 Teacher
    • What grade levels do you teach? 8th grade
    • What’s your background? I went back to school to become a teacher after getting my first degree in sports management with a minor in business. I have a Masters of Education and Professional Development with an initial certification to teach 1-9.
    • Why did you join the Making Math Moments Academy? I am really excited to work with teachers that want to change how math is taught. I am hoping to connect with some who want to work on a framework of using math to connect to current events and social justice in our classrooms!
  • Melanie Hellmann

July 16, 2020 at 11:24 am

Hi everyone, my name is Melanie and I currently reside in North Ogden, Utah. I am originally from the San Francisco Bay Area in California. Right now, it is a great place to be FROM!

I teach 7th grade math in the Ogden School District. This will be my first “full” year teaching this grade. I started February 26th and less than a month later we went virtual. Scream I have yet to teach a full year in the same grade/subject since I have started teaching in Utah. This will be my 3rd year here. I taught 1 year in California.

I joined because my students don’t have questions. They don’t know how to wonder, and I am not sure how to teach them that skill. I also refuse to go back in the fall and lecture for each class wearing a mask! So, I am flipping my classroom. Students will learn at home and apply their knowledge in the classroom. I figure if they are allowed to come back to school and be face-to-face that they will just want to talk, so why not encourage them to talk about MATH! My colleagues don’t see returning the same way I do, so I joined because I need that collaboration piece to figure out how to accomplish this.

I’m looking forward to learning how to make this happen!

• Jon

Administrator
      August 9, 2020 at 9:15 am

Welcome @melanie-hellmann We’re so glad you found us! Having a community of support is a necessary component of our job and often times we can’t find one. We’re looking forward to working with you here!

• Heidi Warrington

July 20, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Hi! I’ve been teaching various levels of middle school math for the last 7 years at a private school in northern Virginia. This year, I’ll be teaching 6th grade math, 7th grade Pre-Algebra and 8th grade Geometry, as well as acting as the math “captain” for our school. I received my teaching certification for 7th-12th grade math as well as a masters in secondary education about 25 years ago and I have also briefly taught high school math.

With the time at home this spring due to COVID, I started attending the NCTM online conference sessions (one of which was led by Jon Orr and Kyle Pierce) and really got excited about bringing new ideas into the classroom, as well as learning more about elementary learners so I can better assist our elementary teachers with their math lessons. The major math challenges at our school have been meeting the needs of diverse learners (specifically, tailoring lessons for students with learning disabilities as well as high fliers math) and developing problem solving skills. I just finished the Making Math Moments the Matter Full Workshop and feel like I’m finally realizing how to develop mathematical understanding rather than just teaching skills. I wanted to join the Academy to be able to find other educators who are trying to transform their classrooms, to have a place where I can ask questions and get advice, and to learn more from the courses here as well as other teachers’ experiences. And of course, this year is going to require more flexibility than ever and I want to make sure I have as many resources as possible so I can do the best for my students, whether we are in the classroom (which is my school’s plan for now – we are, thankfully, small!) or doing at home learning.

• Jon

Administrator
      August 9, 2020 at 9:12 am

Welcome Heidi! You’re on a roll! We’re excited that you’re continuing your learning with us!

• nikkiteeple

July 21, 2020 at 11:35 am

Nikki Teeple

Hi everyone! I’m the K-6 math lead for a K-12 classical charter school in Atlanta, Georgia.

Our school is starting its 7th year and my children have been attending since the beginning. I jumped on board 4 years ago as a kindergarten teacher. However, 30 years ago I was a physics teacher, then a middle school math teacher, then I worked for a luxury hotel planning events and handling sales for 11 years. Once I had children I started working at their preschool and LOVED learning about the early childhood brain and its development. A wild crazy path that has brought lots of enlightenment.

Last year was the first time our school had this math role and I actually did more leadership type work but was able to play a bit in the classroom and getting a good idea of what our teachers are up to.

I’m excited to get back in school but I guess I’ll have to settle on remote for now. Our school focuses on the socratic method and dialogue is so hard online. Excited to learn more every day.

• Mary Schwartz

July 24, 2020 at 11:32 am

I’m Mary Schwartz from the Cincinnati OH area. I have a few roles at a small, private school. I am the Intervention Specialist for all subject areas and the advanced math teacher for grades 7-8. I am also the Case Manager of all students on IEPs (PreK-8) at the school.

I kind of fell into teaching Algebra as I was always in Special Ed (since the late 1980s!!). My second year at the school the principal mentioned to me that there was a need for someone to teach Algebra and he had heard that the students (and their parents) liked how I did math intervention. Would I be interested? I had never considered it before, but I thought what the heck and now 9 years later I’m still teaching one or two math classes each year and love it.

I’m always on the look out and in need of fresh ideas, inspiration, challenges to keep me on my toes when it comes to teaching. I’m a rather lazy person by nature if I let myself be and I don’t want my instruction to fall into the easy-way-out of just plugging through a textbook. I’m looking forward to gleaning as much as I can from the academy!

• Kim Reis

July 28, 2020 at 6:10 pm

Kim — I am an Education Specialist working with mild to moderate level students in special education for grades TK through 5th in El Cajon, CA. I am part of a cohort training to use CGI methods last year and this year. I figured trying this Academy out for 30-days would add to my knowledge.

• Tammy Gelenaw

July 31, 2020 at 5:00 pm

Hello!

My name is Tammy and I am a 6th grade math teacher in Richland, WA.

Like many other educators here, I took advantage of many of NCTM’s webinars through the 100 days of professional development, and was especially excited about the MMMTM presentation.

I am currently working on renewing my National Board certification, and I am nervous and excited about what that will look like teaching online.

I am an Air Force veteran and my job was as a security police officer. When I got out, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do so earned a BA is Law and Justice and a BS in Sociology. I finally found my calling as a teacher and since the beginning of my career I have been drawn to low income schools.

I have struggled for all 16 years of my teaching career with finding ways to engage students of poverty in their math journey: to find rich tasks that promote productive struggle and that spark students interest in learning math. MMMTM offers everything I have been looking for – all in one place!

• Jon

Administrator
      August 9, 2020 at 9:10 am

Welcome @tammy-gelenaw ! That’s exactly why we created this site, to help teachers like us — learn the WHAT to teach, WHY it works, and HOW to do it all in one place!

• Miriam Rempel

August 3, 2020 at 3:40 pm

Hello. I am Miriam Rempel from Newman, CA. I teach fifth grade. This year we are starting remotely.

• Jon

Administrator
      August 9, 2020 at 9:08 am

Welcome @miriam-rempel ! I think a lot of folks are starting remotely especially in the US. What’s your biggest concern right now that we can help with?

• Amy Couser

August 16, 2020 at 4:24 pm

Hi! My name is Amy. I am at a private school near Baltimore, MD and will be teaching Algebra I and Statistics this year. We are still unsure if we will be starting online or some form of an in-person/online hybrid. I have always wanted to help my students see the benefit of productive struggle but will have a bad day or two and feel too overwhelmed and go back to what is easy and comfortable for me (I do, you do). I hope to take steps to better develop my planning of lessons so that I can help fuel the sense making for students.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 29, 2020 at 7:45 am

Welcome! Which course are you planning to start with?

• Melanie Boudreault

August 27, 2020 at 9:17 pm

My name is Melanie Boudreault. I live in Omaha Ne ane teacher high school Algebra 1. I am a new teacher but this is my second career. My background is in chemical engineering. I joined this group because I know there is a better way to teach math, but I haven’t seen it around me. I want to make my classes more interesting and I want students to be more excited.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 29, 2020 at 7:44 am

You’ve come to the right place! Welcome to the group. What is your plan inside the academy? Any particular course that you’re looking to start with?

• Ryan Copeland

September 13, 2020 at 1:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a 5th/6th grade classroom teacher in western Massachusetts. This is my eight year as a teacher (although considering all of the changes this year, it sometimes feels like it might as well be my first year). I’m looking forward to sharing ideas and resources. More than ever, my goal this year in math will be to find ways to differentiate to meet a wide range of needs, which is exacerbated by the uneven amount of learning that happened for students in the spring.

Ryan

• Jon

Administrator
      September 15, 2020 at 5:48 am

Welcome Ryan! We’re honoured to have you here in the Academy. Which mini course are you thinking of cueing up first?

• Stephanie Abbott

November 10, 2020 at 5:05 pm

Hello! My name is Stephanie Abbott, and I teach 6th grade math in Portland, Oregon.

I grew up on the East Coast and studied Environmental Science, then worked in the Veterinary field for 6 years before I went back to school to get my MEd in middle school math and science.

I am only in my third year of teaching and working through Distance Ed while still developing my teaching skills… ahhh! So many ideas, questions, and self-doubt constantly running through my brain. So, I joined the Making Math Moments Academy looking for clarity and support in making Mathematics more interactive and accessible for all my students! Thanks in advance 😉

• Jon

Administrator
      November 11, 2020 at 7:17 pm

Hey @stephanie-abbott Welcome!

What would you say is your “problem of practice” currently?

• Ami Feldman

November 12, 2020 at 9:46 am

Hello! My name is Ami Feldman. I live in Somerville, Massachusetts. I am a first grade teacher and I am teaching in a hybrid model where we are in-person one week and remote the next. I also have 2 fully remote students. I love math and am always looking for new and exciting ways to teach it. Right now I am currently doing a mix of TERC, my own things I made up or saw bits and pieces from the internet, education.com, teachers pay teachers, etc. I was so jazzed up when I watched this math summit that I immediately joined! The topics discussed were innovating, refreshing, and what I want to teach in math. I love the stories/histories behind math and teaching math with context seminars in particular, and would like to do more of that. I also want to find an effective and engaging way to teach remote and hybrid.

• Prabir Chandra

November 13, 2020 at 2:19 pm

Hi Everyone! I am Prabir Chandra. I did my bachelor’s and master’s studies in India at the Indian Institute of Technology in Kharagpur and later Ph.D. at the University of California in Davis. I have taught at the university level in Brazil, India, and the USA and have been teaching math at the high school level over the past 12 years now.

I wrote a reference book with my co-author Dr. R. Paul Singh titled Applied Numerical Methods for Food and Agricultural Engineers, which had been published by the CRS Press, Inc. in 1994 (ISBN: 0849324548).

I am married to Krishna, and we have three adult sons, two of whom are electrical engineers (Lead Systems Engineer in California and Senior RF Engineer in Massachusetts), and the youngest an Athletic Trainer in Massachusetts.

I love writing to my near and dear ones through texting and emailing but always in complete sentences and without using the modern abbreviated jargon.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  Prabir Chandra. Reason: Spacing
  • Sandra Marr

December 13, 2020 at 2:53 am

Hi, my name is Sandra and I live in Wichita, KS. I am a reading specialist but I also teach 2nd-grade math at a private school. I also work with students in intervention from 2nd through 8 grade in math and reading. I’ve been working with dyslexics and struggling students for over 17 years. I’m attending college at Friend’s University for an elementary teacher’s degree. I found out about this site through my math instructor at Friends. I am looking for engaging activities for my energetic students and phenomenal lesson plans.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      December 14, 2020 at 7:34 am

Welcome! You’ve come to the right place! Our number 1 goal is building teacher efficacy through professional learning to build pedagogical moves and content knowledge. Our problem based lessons and units of study continue to be built out, too! Thanks for joining!

• Noelle

January 5, 2021 at 9:52 am

Hi everyone!

My name is Noelle St Germain. I am from the Chicago suburbs. I am an instructional coach in Aurora, IL. It is my second year in the position and it is the second year of having coaches in my district. Prior to becoming a coach, I taught 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. I’ve also worked as a teaching assistant and substitute.

I have a BA in English from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (minoring in history). After graduating, I worked for five years in the business field. Not satisfied with where my career was heading, I return to school to get my teaching license. I recently (2018) obtained a Master of Arts in Reading Instruction. I will graduate in May with a Master of Arts in Educational Leadership.

I joined the academy to learn ways to support teachers with their math instruction. I also want to improve my understanding of math and how to reach all students.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      January 6, 2021 at 6:53 am

Welcome to the Academy!
      Coaching is such an important and challenging gong role to do effectively. How are you enjoying it so far?
      From what you’re saying, it sounds like you are assisting teachers in every subject area. If that is the case, that is certainly a challenge! You’ve come to the right place to push your own thinking and in turn be able to do the same for your colleagues by offering a bit of pressure with support!
      Where do you plan on starting?

• Oddette Williams

January 16, 2021 at 9:09 pm

Hi,

My name is Odds. I am the curriculum director of a charter school in NY.

I joined the community to learn interactive, student centered activities and methods to deepen students’ conceptual understanding of math.

• Jon

Administrator
      January 18, 2021 at 5:29 am

Welcome @oddette.williams We can’t wait to assist you on your learning journey!

• Taylor Hall

February 5, 2021 at 12:20 pm

Hey community! I’m Taylor (Ms. Hall). I’m teaching in Tucson Unified in Arizona. I grew up in Iowa, lived 5 years in California, and am brand new to Arizona! I am a 9th grade algebra 1 and math intervention teacher. I joined to keep connections with the mathematics movers and changers of the world!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 7, 2021 at 7:30 am

Hi Taylor!

Welcome to the community! We are so happy to have you. Head on over to the progress log area and set yourself a professional learning goal. Can’t wait to learn alongside you!

• Avery Thurston

March 16, 2021 at 10:36 am

Hi,

My name is Avery Thurston and I am from Alberta, Canada. I teach in a rural school with grades 5 to 12. I teach junior high math and science mostly. I joined the academy because I have followed Jon and Kyle for a couple of years and finally decided to make some major changes (especially to assessment) to the way my classroom looks and functions. I was only going to join for the free month but I’m making some major changes and looking to continue. This is such a journey and one I am really enjoying, even with the challenges teaching holds right now. Thanks Jon and Kyle!

• Jon

Administrator
      March 17, 2021 at 5:54 am

Welcome @avery.thurston So glad you’re taking the plunge! We’re here for you every step of the way.

• Teresa Woosnam

March 19, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Hi,

I am Teresa and I am from Western Australia. I teach Year 4 and am hoping to learn how to help those struggling students who freak out when you mention the word math and how to differentiate successfully. I want to know how to best focus on those that I need to actually teach the Year 4 content to, those that cannot access the content (because they don’t have the building blocks) and those who need extending. Without it just being busy work.

Look forward to this journey.

• Christopher Ernst

March 25, 2021 at 10:18 am

Hi! My name is Christopher Ernst! I’m a high school math teacher in Las Vegas NV at Eldorado High School. I’ve been teaching for only 3 years so far all at Eldo!

My school is a local public high school with a large ELL population, around 30-35% chronic absenteeism, and single-digit proficiency in math. I teach mainly freshman in Algebra 1, but support my whole department as the DC. Many MANY of my students come into my classroom with really negative mindsets about themselves as learners in all subjects, and some especially in math.

Our school and admin always talk about how “great” our department is with many teachers constantly adjusting and trying to meet students where they are at, but many teachers rely on skills approaches and rote practice. When we look at grades and the data, these approaches do not work for a majority of our students. This past year has really shown this to me in more glaring ways than ever before and really inspired me to find something that works better for our students.

I am originally from Olathe, KS in the Midwest of the US, and many times I find that I’m the only white person in a classroom with my students, and navigating this space and creating meaningful relationships has been something that I’ve struggled with.

I am joining to try and find that “thing” that could work for our students and school, as well as explore how tasks-based learning might lead to deeper relationships with my students. I’ve been listening to the podcast, and I almost always take something away that I think makes me a better teacher, and I want to push that learning forward!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      March 26, 2021 at 7:17 am

Welcome my friend! You’ve found your people!

The part that jumps out to me is the focus on skills and rote. This is where I think all of us start as it is likely how most of us were taught. You’ll find that while we want our students to build fluency and flexibility with numbers and operations, we do this through accessible means via problem based units with math talks in between context rich tasks.

Have a look learn.makemathmoments.com/tasks and let us know your thoughts!

• Cheryl Jackson

April 4, 2021 at 9:22 am

Hello,

I’m Cheryl. I teach grades 6/7 in a middle years model school (so, all of the subjects to one class). I live and work in Winnipeg, MB. I am a second year teacher who specialized in Drama in Ed in university. The whole reason I didn’t take middle of early years ed, was because I DIDN’T HAVE THE MATH PREREQUISITES GRADES FROM MY OWN HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE TO TAKE UNIVERSITY K-8 EDUCATION. Now that I teach math I actually love it and realize I just didn’t have teachers that helped me to understand (cue the fast paced text book model). I joined the Math Moments community to learn how to implement and assess all of the things I believe are important such as process over product.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 5, 2021 at 7:06 am

What a fantastic story you have to hear that you’ve come full circle. Often times I think having a negative experience or relationship with math can really fuel the desire to do things differently for your students you teach. Welcome to the community we are so happy to have you here!

• Paul Jeffries

April 27, 2021 at 12:18 am

My name is Paul Jeffries and I teach High School math at R.A. Long High School in Longview, WA. This is my 18th year teaching and I have really enjoyed the conversion from the “old school” teaching into the more engaging activity based teaching.

• Jon

Administrator
      April 27, 2021 at 6:10 am

Welcome @paul.jeffries It’s been quite the journey! Looking forward to continuing it with you.

• Brandon Murphy

May 26, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Hello there,

My name is Brandon Murphy and I am a Grade 5 teacher in a small community about 2 hours East of Edmonton, Alberta. I am in my first year of teaching and boy did I pick a year to start my career!

I am looking for ways to engage my students and grow as a teacher in the scope of Math.

I am excited to learn from everyone.

• Jon

Administrator
      May 27, 2021 at 6:13 am

@brandon.murphy Welcome! You picked a crazy but exciting year to start! We’re excited to be here with you along your journey!

• Nadine Herbst

May 27, 2021 at 10:29 am

Who you are?

Nadine Herbst

Where are you?

Austin Texas (Hook Em!)

What’s your role in education?

Mathematics Department Chair and Honors Pre Calculus teacher.

What grade levels do you teach?

9-12 (varies as students in my class can range on ability)

What’s your background?

BS Math Education from Northern Illinois University

MA Curriculum and Instruction from Chapman

MA Educational Administration from Santa Clara U

Completed Admin certification in 2021!

Any cool stories to tell?

I started as a Meteorology major in college and moved to Math education due to an instructor who was influential to me.

Why did you join the Making Math Moments Academy?

Kenzie Sanchez has been feeding me podcasts all year and we are doing together to learn together and continue our massive math brain dumps for us.

• Jon

Administrator
      May 28, 2021 at 6:21 am

Welcome @nadine.herbst We’re super excited you and a few educators are joining up! We’re eager to help you on your journey!

• Pam Bromby

June 10, 2021 at 2:40 pm

Hi Everyone! my name is Pamela Bromby and I am a middle school homeroom teacher in Dauphin, Manitoba. I’ve been teaching overseas for the last 7 years and am happy to be back in Canada! This past year I taught grade 6 homeroom, which I have never done before, and I absolutely loved it! My background is teaching English, but Middle school math and science are so much fun. Next year I will be teaching grade 8, and am really looking forward to learning some new strategies to connect students with math :).

• Jon

Administrator
      June 11, 2021 at 6:23 am

Welcome @pam.bromby we’re here to support!

• Jennifer Gordon

June 15, 2021 at 5:17 pm

Hi!

I’m Jen Gordon. I’m a teacher in Portland, Oregon in the Parkrose district. I teach 7-8 grade math as well as AVID. I have a BS in Integrated Science with a minor in Biology, then got my MAT many years later.

I didn’t plan on teaching math (in fact didn’t love math at all), but it made sense to get endorsed in both math and science. Ended up getting hired to teach math! I started off teaching math support to kids for 45 minutes every day (on top of their 90 minutes of regular math class they had every other day), so needless to say, they were the kids who didn’t have a lot of love for math! I’m glad I was able to connect with those kids because I saw a lot of myself in them. It really helped me to grow my math mindset (fake it until you make it) and I realized I actually love math! Some of them ended up loving it, too.

I still feel like there are a LOT of things wrong with the way I do math with my students, specifically how they are assessed. That’s why I wanted to join! I want students to realize that we all have the ability to understand and even enjoy math concepts! I want students say, “I’m a math person!”

• Jon

Administrator
      June 16, 2021 at 6:46 am

Welcome Jennifer!

Sounds like you’re ready to jump into the Assessment for Growth course!

• Sharon Plante

June 23, 2021 at 4:38 pm

Hi

My name is Sharon Plante, I live in Pincher Creek Alberta and teach in the beautiful Crowsnest Pass. I teach Math 8, 9 and 10 at Crowsnest Consolidated High School. I joined the academy because I have listened to several podcasts over the past few years and have tried implementing some of the strategies, now it is time to make some more changes.

• Jon

Administrator
      June 24, 2021 at 7:21 am

I love how you’re taking action!

Welcome Sharon! We look forward to your journey!

• Lynn Crutchley

July 12, 2021 at 5:22 pm

I don’t know much about this modern IT stuff—self-taught by default–literally. I am an independent, voluntary tutor…to 30+ struggling learners from Grade R-12, though my primary focus this year is more on the primary school learners, and helping their younger pre-schooler siblings get some school readiness before January 2022. I live in a city in southern Africa but travel 55 kms one-way to help these children 2-3 times a week. I am NOT a qualified Maths teacher. (I do though have other qualifications and experience in other fields.) However, having struggled with Maths as a pupil, my primary focus now is on this very subject: sadly, the most dreaded and hated compulsory subject in our public schools. My goal is to help these children learn that Maths IS doable, and can be FUN! I tutor from my own overcome learning challenges and much self-study. (And, also have to do this in the children’s mother tongue–a learnt and still being learned language for me–many hours of addition labour of love for these children.) So, I am most grateful to Kyle and Jon for this opportunity to improve my own understanding and tutoring the children in this great subject!

• Melissa Cairns

August 1, 2021 at 3:05 pm

Greetings fellow math folks!

My name is Melissa Quirk Cairns and I’m a middle school math teacher in North Adams, Massachusetts (in the beautiful Berkshire hills!).

I’ve been teaching since 1991 (yes, when the dinosaurs roamed) and began teaching via Teach for America, with whom I trained in Los Angeles, then was posted in Houston, Texas for a couple years. I’ve spent most of my career teaching English and theatre, but switched to math a few years ago.

I think of it as “I teach students” more than simply “I teach math.”

To that end, a hallmark of my teaching is differentiation, integrating the arts, adding UBD options for more personalized approach and getting into the hands-on and “why do we do this” bits.

So – it should be pretty clear why I think joining this family is a no-brainer. 😉

This fall I’ll be teaching 7th grade Honors Math and two sections of grade 8 math. I have the luxury of 90 minute periods for the full year for each of these sections. I love the extended time, because it allows time for community-building and project-based work.

Looking forward to learning with you all!

Melissa

• Jon

Administrator
      August 18, 2021 at 8:46 am

Welcome @melissa.cairns We’re pumped you’re here!

• Robin Bergen

August 17, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Hi, this is Robin from Massachusetts. I am an 8th grade Math teacher and I have been listening to your podcasts from the beginning. I found you after I found Jo Boaler and knew there had to be more great stuff out there and you absolutely were the answer to my problems. After 38 years I think I am finally, “getting there”, in my teaching. It was eye opening and validating at the same time. It also makes total sense, but like most math teachers I began my journey by teaching how I was taught and of course that didn’t work for me when I was young so I don’t know why I expected it to work for my students. About 10 years ago I created an opportunity to run a cookie company with my struggling learners. It was a fantastic experience but I had to drop it because schools were being required to serve only healthy foods so the cookies and other baked products that we sold were out. But it was that experience that set me on my quest to make math more engaging and practical for the struggling learners that I taught. I feel like I am almost there thanks to; Jo Boaler, Miriam Small, Dan Meyer, Peter L., James Tantum, and both of you. Thank you for all that you are doing.

Robin

• Jon

Administrator
      August 18, 2021 at 8:48 am

Welcome Robin! We’re excited to work with you!

• Linda Huston

August 17, 2021 at 6:42 pm

Hi,

My name is Linda Huston, and I live in Redmond, Washington.

I am a math tutor. Right now I am tutoring online, but may return to in-person tutoring at some point. I tutor Algebra 1 to AP Calculus AB. I mostly tutor high school students, but also have middle school and college students. I tutored at a school for 5 years and then started my own tutoring company a year ago! I find great joy in watching students understand math!

When I was in high school, I was deciding between becoming an engineer and a math teacher. At the time, teachers were not getting jobs, so I became an engineer. I worked for 10 years as an engineer and enjoyed it! Math has always been my favorite part of engineering, so am happy to be tutoring math.

I joined Making Math Moments Academy so that I can learn more ways to try to explain math concepts to my students. I like learning so I can help my students learn.

• Jon

Administrator
      August 18, 2021 at 8:50 am

Welcome @linda.huston !

We can’t wait for you to get started!

• Jennifer Faganel

October 10, 2021 at 10:20 am

Hi math community!

My name is Jenny Faganel, and I’m a fourth grade math teacher at an international school in Slovenia. I’m originally from California, where I taught middle school language arts. I haven’t taught math since my student teaching days in the early aughts. In my quest to do right by my students, I stumbled on the Making Math Moments podcast, and now I’m here to try to figure out how to implement all these new ideas. Looking forward to digging in!

• Jon

Administrator
      October 12, 2021 at 6:33 am

Welcome Jennifer! We’re eager to help you on your journey! Good for you in taking this step to dig deeper!

• John Thompson

November 12, 2021 at 11:47 pm

My name is John, I am a new teacher at the young age of 46. I used to work in the Banking/Investment industry, but have always wanted to be a teacher. I actually taught EFL in Taiwan for 3 years back in my late 20’s but came home to responsibilities and went into banking for the stability and pay. Eventually couldn’t do it anymore, so I quit and went back to school at the tender age of 42, and now find my self teaching a grade 7 class in what looks to be an LTO in the making. I joined this page to help me make my math lesson’s more interesting, exciting and engaging. Eventually Id like move up to Secondary to teach math, business and Physed.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      November 18, 2021 at 6:39 am

What a cool background to come into this second career! So happy to see you coming into the Academy to up your pedagogical practice!

• Jeremy Kautz

November 15, 2021 at 9:19 am

Hi Math Moments Community!

My name is Jeremy Kautz and am a Math Teacher and Technology Coach from Kaukauna, WI. I teach at Appleton East High School where I am in year six. I recently found the Math Moments virtual summit on social media and it piqued my curiosity.

I look forward to immersing myself in new ideas and accessing high-quality professional development in a flexible learning format. If I can make some friends along the way that is a definite plus!

Thanks for taking the time to read, comment, etc. Have a great day!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      November 18, 2021 at 6:40 am

Welcome my friend! You’ve found a great place to stretch your math teaching wings! Thanks for joining this vibrant community!

• Kim Sullivan

November 15, 2021 at 9:31 am

Hi, I’m Kim Sullivan. I teach in a public school in Teaneck, New Jersey. I am a math interventionist and coach in a K-4 school. I work primarily with grades 1 and 3. I applied to Glassboro State College but by the time I got there they had been gifted $100 million and changed the name to Rowan College. Later it became Rowan University. I have attended Fairleigh Dickinson University as well. I am a certified Orton Gillingham Instructor and love using multi sensory techniques when teaching math. I have been teaching for 24 years. I joined the Making Math Moments Academy after attending the Virtual Summit. It was a great weekend!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      November 18, 2021 at 6:42 am

Hi Kim! Welcome! What a great background you’re sharing! I’d love to learn more about your multi-sensory math training! Enjoy the academy!

• BRIDGET ADAM

April 13, 2022 at 7:12 am

Good morning! My name is Bridget and I live in the Boston Area. I am a 6th grade math teacher at a charter in Dorchester, MA. I’ve been teaching at the same school for 20 years, and I truly love my community. My background is in special education, but math is what I have been teaching for many, many years.

I recently read “Building Thinking Classrooms,” and my teaching has done a 180. I was definitely teaching traditionally and my students were doing the “sit and get.” After reading the book, I switched EVERYTHING (it only took me 20 years), as I reflected and noted that my students were only mimicking, not thinking.

I’ve been listening to your podcasts and have learned a lot. That is why I am here- to learn more. Thank you for this space!

Bridget

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 14, 2022 at 7:10 am

Congrats my friend! How fantastic to hear. What a great book and awesome jolt to your math teaching trajectory! So happy you’re here to deepen your learning to influence your practice!

Welcome my friend!

• BRIDGET ADAM

April 14, 2022 at 7:41 am

Thank you! I am happy to be hear and to learn from all the amazing educators that are a part of Making Math Moments!

• Philip Pittelli

May 24, 2022 at 10:40 am

My name is Philip and I am a middle school math teacher (7/8) in Western Massachusetts. I have been a teacher for 16 years ranging from 4th grade to 8th grade. I have enjoyed using your 3 act tasks and really like the approach you have to mathematics.

• Joy Kogut

June 21, 2022 at 7:32 am

Good morning and hello, I’m a high school teacher who just finished her first year teaching in Vermont. I recently moved from Boston after teaching in BPS for 15 years. I look forward to learning from all of you, Joy

• Suzanne Alexander

June 21, 2022 at 3:26 pm

I’m a fourth-year secondary math teacher. I have taught Algebra 1 in Las Vegas for the past two years at a double-blocked middle school. This coming year I’ll be teaching Algebra 1 in the high school setting, with a blocked schedule. Without the luxury of double-blocked instruction I am especially looking for ways to do more with less time – better engagement, more effective and deeper learning, etc.

I’ve really enjoyed the podcast in the past, which is why I’m here now.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 22, 2022 at 7:11 am

Welcome my friend! So glad to welcome you here. What would be your big bodacious math goal for this coming school year?

• Jeannette Milburn

August 4, 2022 at 2:19 pm

Hello! I’m excited to be part of this math learning community and can’t wait to get started. I have been teaching for 10 years with most of those years in 4th and 5th grade. However, I’m starting a new adventure this year by teaching 6th grade math! I’m excited and very nervous at the same time. Throughout my years teaching 4th and 5th, I really became a lover of all things math related. My younger self would not recognize my older self! Math and I had a love/hate relationship throughout my middle and high school years. I was always the kid asking “WHY?” and a lot of my teachers couldn’t explain to me why. They just told me to follow their instructions and (pretty much) let them be! Because I was so good at listening to directions, I got decent grades in math. However, I wasn’t a math thinker! I was just good at following directions! As a math teacher, I want my students to be math thinkers! I want them to ask “Why?” I can’t wait to learn more from everyone here on great strides they’re making in their classrooms!

• Jon

Administrator
      August 16, 2022 at 7:17 am

Welcome! We also can’t wait for you to get started!