Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Introduce yourself

Posted by Ivana Pleše on January 19, 2021 at 9:23 am

Hello, I’m currently working as a middle school teacher in Croatia. Since I don’t have a lot of experience teaching (I’ve only been teaching for a year and a half.), I find it difficult to make each class count. We’re currently fully online again, so I’ve been trying to teach using 3-part framework. I’ve made my own activities using your materials and webinars and I must say, this is the first time I see children fully engaged in my online lessons. I’m looking forward to learning more from you and other teachers in this community.

Kyle Pearce replied 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    January 21, 2021 at 6:56 am

Welcome to the Community AND to teaching math! We are thrilled when we hear that the framework and lessons are starting to flip the script on math class from being a boring, mimicking subject to an exciting and active one! Keep us posted on your journey. What topics are you working on currently?

• Ivana Pleše

January 23, 2021 at 8:57 am

Dear Kyle, thank you for answering. Sure, it took me a while to realize that even though math is exciting and beautiful, that excitement can’t be transferred on children only by being enthusiastic about a certain subject. I’ve struggled with fueling curiosity in particular and now i can see some improvement. That really gives me a boost in confidence and helps me accept moments when not everything goes as well as planned.

At the moment I’m teaching 6th and 8th grade. In 6th grade we’re covering fractions, percentages and ratios, which are perfect for teaching the way you preach. In 8th grade we’re exploring rational and irrational numbers, Pythegorian theorem, etc.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      January 26, 2021 at 7:08 am

For your fraction friends, consider the Wooly Worm Race! I’m using it in a grade 8 classroom this morning but totally suitable for grade 6 as well!

learn.makemathmoments.com/task/wooly-worm-race