Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself I’m not a schoolteacher, but I am a teacher.

• I’m not a schoolteacher, but I am a teacher.

Posted by Holly D. on December 1, 2022 at 12:23 pm

Hello!

I’m a little different than most of you. I’m not a schoolteacher, but I am a teacher. I am also a mom. I am trying to find ways to help my struggling daughter with her math. She is 2 years behind, I paid out the noise in tutors already, but over and over again it’s the same tired ways. Nothing is being made real to her, nothing is slowed to her speed and left to simmer until she is ready to take the next step.

What do you do when it’s hard? Step aside and say Never Mind? Naaa, find a path that works, and get your Grit on. That path has led us here; I love the take this site has taken to teaching. It’s going to be exactly the fit she needs; she needs to interact in real life with her math she needs to understand, not just route memorize.

Jennifer Hicks replied 1 month, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Jennifer Hicks

December 5, 2022 at 4:54 pm

Welcome! I am new to the group myself, but I wanted to encourage you. Having a mom who is so committed to helping her daughter learn is such a blessing. There are so many parents that just leave it to the teacher. Your care and concern, coupled with creative ideas you find here, will help her immensely and help her build that foundation. I am a homeschool mom who just started teaching in a classroom, and it is amazing the lack of parental involvement some of the students have, and they suffer for it.