Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler How will Small Group Cooperative Learning function with Online Learning?

• How will Small Group Cooperative Learning function with Online Learning?

Posted by Donna Dawes on April 5, 2020 at 3:07 pm

How can I still assign small group cooperative learning online with so many different student tech limits? (Some have unlimited access to smartphones, iPads, or computers while others have limited time access – either per day or per week. Those that have no tech access, have home paper packages and even less availability to work with others)

Tornette Franklin replied 2 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Andrea Clark

April 7, 2020 at 8:27 am

I am still very much a novice with this, but I have found some success with Breakout Rooms in Zoom (I don’t know if you are able to use Zoom, but the Breakout Rooms allow you to put students into “groups” to talk about a quesiton and then bring them back to the main group to talk.) If you have any live lessons and use Zoom, Breakout Rooms are one option.

I’m also playing around with Jamboard from Google. I am planning on trying it out with my 6th graders today, so I’m not sure exactly how it will work yet. It looks like students can work on a problem in real time or asynchronously and see what other people have done. You could also do something like that with Google Slides (giving students edit access).

I’m also still developing a small list of ways to use cooperative learning, but that is what I’m thinking about right now.

• Rachel

April 10, 2020 at 4:45 pm

I am having the same difficulty. Next week I have set up a ZOOM HELP ROOM. Students use the code to get into a waiting room. I will let them in and dismiss them from the meeting 1 at a time. Students that do not have technology access is problematic, I can’t teach through a phone call.

• Tornette Franklin

April 13, 2020 at 1:44 pm

I love the idea of Zoom breakout rooms Andrea. I’m going to try it after our Spring breaks with station work and the math task I hope to develop while on break through the Academy. Like you, I don’t know what that is going to look like. (I have voluntary sessions twice a week to accommodate their varying schedule. I send out a survey to see who is going to be able to come and when.) With Breakout rooms you also have the ability to pop in and out of each room to listen to their thinking or offer help if they need it!