fbpx

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class How VNPS has helped my classroom – Discussion

• How VNPS has helped my classroom – Discussion

Nancy Peters updated 1 month ago 7 Members · 10 Posts
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    December 10, 2019 at 2:56 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

• Barb Fleming

April 20, 2020 at 7:16 pm

I have another podcast that I’m looking forward to diving into. Thanks for referencing Peter Liljedahl!

• Lisa Hudson

June 23, 2020 at 8:44 pm

I began using personal whiteboard markers in 2010 and saw an immediate benefit for my students. There seems to be such freedom in the non-permanence of math work. I have read and heard of Peter Liljedahl’s work and one of my future goals is to get enough vertical whiteboards for all my students to have room to work.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 24, 2020 at 6:52 am

Love it! Consider checking out wipebook for their flipchart packs. Great way to get started on that goal…

You can grab 40% off with this link:

http://Wipebook.com/40moments

• Andy Neels

January 6, 2021 at 4:29 pm

I started using vertical surfaces / windows, etc in my last couple of years teaching, also after attending a session with Peter Liljedahl. I don’t do it every single day, but the first thing students do as they walk into my room is see if I have “V/S” written on the board. I noticed student engagement go up dramatically.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      January 7, 2021 at 8:09 am

Do you have any sort of rule of thumb for when you are inspired to use it?

• Christopher Ernst

April 5, 2021 at 7:55 pm

I’ve used mini-whiteboards intermittently and done a “3-2-1 show me” method, which worked pretty well with engagement. With some of my smaller classes throughout the years, I’ve tried using the VNPS in my classroom though. I’ve found that when I continually use them, the engagement is quite high, but I need to use them for the project or tasks. I’ve noticed that procedural practice, or method practice the engagement isn’t as high as with problems or tasks.

Has anyone else seen this in their engagement level with the use of small whiteboards vs VNPS?

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 6, 2021 at 6:34 am

I’d agree that practicing procedures or strategies would promote less engagement because thinking is low. They are just applying the same skill to different numbers and thus it is inherently not engaging.

• Jeanette Jones

September 6, 2021 at 3:38 pm

In the last 2 weeks since I listened to your Peter Liljedahl podcast, I have added more whiteboards into my classroom and we discovered we can also use the windows in our groups. This is great!!

• Nancy Peters

September 11, 2021 at 11:18 am

I have used individual lap boards before. I really like the vertical method better. There is better buy in from the students. I also let the students write on the desks with the dry erase markers. They kept asking, “It’s OK to write on the desks?” Amazing that all of a suddenly they want to do the math work because now they CAN write on the desks. I expect this to fade over the year and will go back and forth between my vertical boards and the desks.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now