fbpx

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Building Resilient Problem Solvers How To Make Math Moments That Matter Everyday In Your Math Class – Discussion

• How To Make Math Moments That Matter Everyday In Your Math Class – Discussion

• Jon Orr

Administrator
    December 10, 2019 at 3:23 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

• Arif Ali

January 15, 2020 at 6:37 am
  • Anne Skaggs

March 17, 2020 at 11:55 pm

I like that you provided an example to go along with the steps. I can see how this would help students to remember the lesson; so engaging!

• Meghan McOmber

March 23, 2020 at 3:50 pm

Big Take Away –>Follow the Four Steps

1) Witholding information

2) Anticipation

3) Notice and Wonder

4) Estimation

• Anne Hambrick

March 24, 2020 at 9:01 pm

The idea of withholding information rather than stating an objective at the beginning of class is my big takeaway. I can’t wait to use your Curiosity Path when Covid-19 is gone!

• Kathleen Perreault

March 28, 2020 at 5:01 pm

Your resources make following the Path easy! I like how you keep it simple and students drive the discovery.

• Scott Cortez

March 31, 2020 at 6:02 pm

1. Starting with just the video and then realizing the video is in reverse made me look more closely at it.

2. Would make me as a student to want more.

3. When students are noticing and wondering who is eating more and maybe some will start timing the rate.

4. Estimation would be something I am still trying to work with my students. Definitely going to keep “The Curiosity Path” close by when planning.

• Renee Kash

March 31, 2020 at 10:18 pm

When I as the teacher give away the missing information I have removed the chance for authentic learning to occur. Instead, I need to nurture students to truly notice and wonder and giving them ALL a voice without judgement! Set up the culture to let the math conversations occur so it translates to real learning.

• Brittany Fraser

April 1, 2020 at 3:49 pm

A big take away for me was that if you follow these steps of the curiosity path, students won’t be able to resist making an estimation!

• Amy Kopcznski

April 2, 2020 at 12:37 pm

My big take away from this particular lesson is noticing the differences and similarities between the Chocolate Mania task and “normal” textbook problems. They both have a mathematical problem for students to solve but this task does not explicity state the problem. Through the process of notice and wonder students will have the opportunity to feel empowered at creating the math problem to be solved versus being given one from the teacher or a textbook. Traditional math classrooms will normally give students an example problem with a procedure for solving it and then ask students to replicate that procedure with a similar problem. This task is asking students to dive right in and use their mathematical knowledge to think and reason their way through the problem.

One question I have is this: How do you set the stage for your students to be able to use estimation in a way that will propel them in their mathematical thinking? I have tried using Estimation 180 in the past and when I asked students for estimations that are too low and too high I was given ridiculous numbers like 10,000,000,000,000 or -58. This told me I was not doing something I should be doing to allow them to properly benefit from using estimation.

• Amy Kopcznski

April 2, 2020 at 2:16 pm

Challenge Task: I explored the Tile Circle task. Here is how I think each part of the task aligns with the curiosity path.

1. Withholding Information

• Students do not know how many square tiles it would take to go across the circle through the center.

2. Anticipation

• Students are shown through a video, gif, or still image how many times the number of square tiles that are needed to go through the center of the circle can be wrapped around the circle.

3. Notice and Wonder

• Students notate notices and wonders as they watch a video from the point of view of someone entering a building leading to a circle on the main entrance that is outlined with small square tiles.

4. Estimation

• Students are asked to estimate the number of square tiles that outline the circle on the floor.

• Ashley McAdams

April 7, 2020 at 2:26 pm

My big take away is that following the steps leads to greater engagement and discovery for the students.

• Kiely Goss

April 7, 2020 at 3:56 pm

My biggest takeaway was the withholding information to create authentic engagement! I love it, as an elementary teacher, that is something we already do in ELA, leaving my class in suspense in a great book 🙂 or teaching them to do the same to build a reader’s interest in their stories, but I never realized how we could structure math lessons in a similar format, especially to introduce new topics, I love it!!

• Nina Villanova

April 13, 2020 at 5:17 pm

My big takeaways:

1. Witholding information sparks interest – I love that it naturally brings up a desire to begin problem solving.

2. I have always enjoyed the notice/wonder portion of my class – but this clarified why we do it: to let all students’ voices matter. It provides a way to steer the lesson using student driven thinking.

What I still wonder:

I wonder if I can apply this to all of my math lessons.

• Lisa Hudson

April 13, 2020 at 10:44 pm

I have several takeaways.

1. I really like how the withholding information can pull a student into the problem and make them curious as to what they are trying to find out. The closest I have done to this is to use numberless word problems.

2. This 4 step process really nurtures the students and gives them voice in the classroom.

3. The process helps to create the culture of the classroom.

4. These situations can give students “stick points” that can be referenced by the teacher, for example, “Do you remember when Mr. Pearce and Mr.Orr ate the candy?” and reference back to the concept that was explored.

• Bonnie Fox-McIntyre

April 15, 2020 at 2:22 pm

I love the “what would you do with this information if I gave it to you?” It makes the student reflect more and conside carefully what it is they want to do next. I love how using a visual prompt is so engaging. I really like the way everyone’s idea is honoured and respected. It creates a safe environment for everyone to wonder and question.

• Andrea Clark

April 16, 2020 at 1:05 pm

I love notice and wonders. I have started to use them in language arts too. They are such an easy in to any topic, and it lets everyone participate. I’m even using it during distance learning. It makes the learning so much more engaging to the students. They love getting to answer their own questions!

• Kristi Hill

April 17, 2020 at 12:28 pm

Curriosity Path and the invitation to entice students along a learning journey.

• Sylvia Taussig

April 21, 2020 at 11:10 am

I love the material and website, however I’m struggling to figure out how to implement in my unique teaching situation. I teach math to students in grades 7-12 at a correctional facility. The students come to me in mixed ages/grades/math subjects and stay for varying lengths of time. They can be there for 1-2 weeks or several months, but I don’t have that knowledge up front. Additionally, many have stopped going to school or are thoroughly disengaged from learning. I have a smart board, but no devices for students. They are required to participate while in class or they return to their cells and, of course, they don’t want that. I realize that I’m in an unique situation, but maybe someone has some ideas for me. Thanks!

• Laura Johns

April 28, 2020 at 9:17 am

Students need to opportunity to build their own connections. The curiosity path helps each student do that.

• Chris Laurie

October 11, 2020 at 12:45 pm

I like the example revealing the different ways to create number sentences. I will use the bus example Monday. Then the air plane problem later with my Grade 5 (BC) class. Thanks for letting me know I can access more than the course: “Concept holding your kids back” I signed up for.

• Peggy-Sue Fox

December 8, 2020 at 8:08 pm

I like how the curiosity path hooks the students and then each step has them commit further and further into the problem, so by the end they are personally invested in solving it.

• Ella Platt

July 18, 2021 at 10:41 pm

I love the curiosity pathway. The notice and wonders and how we get students to share these help create the classroom problem solving culture!

Viewing 1 - 23 of 23 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now