Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Make Math Moments From A Distance How To Ignite Your Teacher Moves From A Distance – Discussion

• Robert Barth

March 2, 2021 at 10:01 am

Thanks for the introduction to knowledgehook. I have been using desmos to gather student work, and it works fantastic, however there are some limitation, such as space for solving systems. Its nice to be able to find an easy way to view student work that is less intimidating that flipgrid. I frequently survey my students (especially now) to see what is working and what is not, and I am still shocked at how much kids dislike flipgrid, but since switching the knowledgehook, they say that is one of their favorites.

Also, I firmly agree that we cannot allow the virtual learning to be our excuse for why we cannot teach math concepts in an exploritory way. I talk to my students all that time about embracing this as an opportunity to improve ourselves and people and learners, rather than as an excuse for being ok to do less or be less than we would normally be. It would be hypocritical to not do the same as a teacher.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      March 3, 2021 at 6:48 am

Awesome to hear!

Glad you’re with us on still making it work remotely. I had a teacher feeling like they needed more “spoon feeding” because they weren’t engaging online. I disagreed and I’m hoping we can discuss more this week.

• DAVID DIEHL

March 25, 2021 at 10:26 am

I appreciate the reminders to do the math ahead of time. I have done the work a lot so I come up with problems that I think will cause certain questions or expose certain knowledge gaps, but writing it out allows me to explore things that just doing it in my head does now.

For example, by writing it out, I expose little things that I do – a certain way to draw a sketch or a common mistake and even allows me to take a picture to use as reference or a guide later for student to see that sometimes the work can look different ways and even their teacher uses a number of strategies in different situations depending on the scenario.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      March 26, 2021 at 7:14 am

I find no matter how much time I take to anticipate, I always get humbled as I try to facilitate a math talk or lesson. It actually makes teaching math so much more enjoyable than my “old” method of just direct instruction. Keep up the great work!

• Scott McNutt

March 29, 2021 at 4:41 pm

I always enjoy the work of Peg Smith. Her five practices are my corner stone when it comes to including student voice in my classroom. When it came to doing virtual learning I assume that her practices did not fit the model of learning in front of a screen. However, I can see with these trainings that there was a way of using Brainingcamp or desmos to help student work together and have their voice heard in the mathematical learning. I wish I would of had this information a year ago because it would of been a lot smoother than trying to teach in a more traditional sense online.

• Jon

Administrator
      March 30, 2021 at 5:47 am

@scott.mcnutt Don’t beat yourself up! Now you know we can keep Peg’s work going while teaching remotely if we have to do it again!

• Kathleen Bourne

June 21, 2021 at 5:19 pm

Nice refresher of your overall course… The Brainingcamp and more use of Knowledgehook are definitely going to be something I try to use more with all students rather than small groups.

• Anthony Waslaske

July 11, 2021 at 12:41 am

I actually forgot to consolidate by connecting the method students used in the student examples together.

• Jon

Administrator
      July 13, 2021 at 7:40 am

@anthony.waslaske We’re learning!! We feel that the connecting stage is one of the most important stages as we “always” forgot to do that when first starting using some of these techniques. We have to pull it together and point students to the pathway we’re on. It’s kind of like we’re all on this hiking route and each day we stop on the route and branch off to look for some firewood and then we have to come back together build a fire with that wood on the route…then move a little more down the route and do the same on the next day.

• Lori Plate

August 8, 2021 at 2:06 pm

I’m excited to start back with students to start implementing what I have learned. I am struggling with how I am going to create lessons this of this depth for every day in my classroom. My school/district is requiring me to use a different lesson template that is similar to the one from this course, but it doesn’t include the visual reminders and hints. It also requires more detailed information than your lesson plans and I feel like I will be spending more time on completing the plan the way they expect it than I will focusing on the students. Any suggestions?

• Denny Nelson

August 20, 2021 at 4:34 pm

I think anticipating my student responses will help. I also need to be intentional about which students work I select to highlight. I can’t possibly include everyone. If I use student #2 this time because 1-4 all ad the same I might want to intentionally choose student #3 next time and #2 so that different students have a chance to be highlighted. Now, with Desmos it is possible to have everything annonymized. However, even with that students might recognize their own work. I can use what they do to help move towards understanding of the topic(s). It could be that some new things come up and I need to pivot. Or, depending on the nature it might be that the next day I pivot based on what I discoved in today’s math class.

Another thing to remember is depth more than breadth. Spiraling will help with this long term but I’m not quite there yet. I’m guessing that I will spiral previous years material more this year as a start.

• Dawn Oliver

April 15, 2022 at 11:25 pm

Great review of the Before, During and After moves; and all the resources for online teaching. You guys should make some How To guides on how to implement al these resources. Thanks for all the resources.

One thing I struggle with is making videos using QuickTime on my work Mac book. I always make mistakes and have to redo the videos. It takes so much time. Do you know of other video platforms that are better or does it just take practice?

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 18, 2022 at 7:13 am

Glad to hear it and yes – we will be looking into how we can provide more guides to make bringing the learning with you easier for everyone.

As for practice: yes! It does take some practice. Also, there are apps like iMovie or Final Cut (if you want to get fancy) that can also help with this. Having a clear intentionality of what you are trying to emerge from the task is always super key for this.