Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler How to Coach a Resistant Team

• How to Coach a Resistant Team

Posted by Amy Kopcznski on April 1, 2020 at 12:58 pm

Hello all! I am new to the instructional coaching world. I coach at a school where I have been working for 14 years. My biggest challenge so far is being able to effectively communicate what my purpose is at our school. Some of the teachers at my school are new and overwhelmed and see me as “one more thing”. There are also teachers that have worked at my school for a few years or more and have been on their own. They either don’t know what a coach can do for/with them, don’t see the value in it, or think that they have no room to grow and therefore think I am only for the “bad” teachers. How do I change these perceptions? How can I move forward?

• This discussion was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  Amy Kopcznski.
    Amy Kopcznski replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Rachel

April 10, 2020 at 4:49 pm

I have been teaching for 14 years and this is the first year that I have LOVED my instructional coach.

1) communication from top down that this role is to make sure we are all the best professionals we can be and to ensure we are meeting district standards

2) it is a requirement in our district/campus that ICs must attend all weekly planning meetings.

Ours started the year off with a friendly – get to know you and explained exactly what she would do for us. She is relentless popping in our rooms and then giving us praise later or suggestions as appropriate.

It won’t be instant, you will have to gain trust and volunteer to “make” or “do” things for them to show that you can ease their burden.

Good luck! Don’t give up.

• Amy Kopcznski

April 20, 2020 at 3:34 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and encouragement.

• George Garza

April 10, 2020 at 11:35 pm

I’ve worked with a number of coaches, I’ve noticed that the best have the same basic traits, it’s a similar skillset to being a good teacher.

1) You’ve got to get to know your teachers, this builds trust, and allows you to help them specifically where they need help.

2) Help your teachers set goals for themselves, in fact, it’d probably be good to have the department/grade/site set a goal. You can help set the goal, but you shouldn’t dictate what the goal is. You are there to help them be better teachers, not add complications to their lives. Besides, if it’s a goal that is forced on them, they will be zero effort on their own in working towards the goal.

3) Be reliable and make it clear, in word and deed, that you’re goal is to make them better teachers, and, ultimately to help the kids.

4) Be flexible, and meet the teachers where they are at.

Overall it just takes time. If you’ve been at the school for 14 years, then you know most of the teachers, and they can help vouch for you with the newer ones. Just make sure you are intentional in your interactions, and are constantly checking in with them.

Hang in there!

• Amy Kopcznski

April 20, 2020 at 3:35 pm

Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement.