fbpx

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class How does the Achievement Chart fit in when assessing by standards? – Discussion

• How does the Achievement Chart fit in when assessing by standards? – Discussion

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    December 10, 2019 at 3:06 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

• Tonya Cates

December 10, 2019 at 5:09 am

I like this idea of tiered assessment and I am thinking of ways to turn my TEKS into “I will” statements. I would like to create a document with tiers so I can track my individual students progress. I believe students need to understand where they are and what they need to work on. Right now, that piece is missing from my instruction.

• Christopher Ernst

April 5, 2021 at 8:27 pm

That’s a great idea to create a document like that! I’m wondering is that something you’re thinking of showing to students, or for your own reference?

• Barb Fleming

April 20, 2020 at 7:49 pm

I was reflecting (and crazily writing down ideas) on how I might start the year with the basic knowledge and understanding type learning in my first spiral and then build into richer, deeper thinking tasks on the next spiral and depending on how the learning goes, review and build to try to put all the pieces together to get to more of an application stage for many students in subsequent spirals.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    April 20, 2020 at 10:22 pm

Great thinking! My only caution is to avoid trying to start with something students perceive as too easy; if it isn’t cognitively demanding enough, they may not engage at all.
    It is a delacate balance. Excited to hear how things progress for you!

• Lisa Hudson

June 24, 2020 at 6:25 pm

I like the idea of the levels of assessment for student work so that I get a deeper understanding of where they are in relation to their math thinking and learning. This will require work on my part as I don’t have anything like the achievement chart for my use. I will need to consult with my peer teacher who uses a type of SBG for her students. We share several students and I think it would be helpful for the students to have teachers who are on the same page.

• Andy Neels

January 6, 2021 at 5:07 pm

I’m thinking this makes a lot of sense to try figure out the assessment for each unit before starting to spiral all of the units. I hope to start with spiraling one unit as I get the mastery (assessment) down pat as well.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      January 7, 2021 at 8:10 am

Intentionally spiralling one unit feels like a really manageable first step. Almost like spreading it out on each Friday or something could be interesting to see how it works for you.

• Sean Breen

February 16, 2021 at 2:33 pm

I’ve considered spiraling before, and as a musician I totally get the value in spiraling, but the way you presented it in this talk really got me excited about hitting all the content areas through the school year, as well as building expertise across the board.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 18, 2021 at 7:45 am

Fantastic! I also find that spiralling really helped me to realize how little students were retaining when I taught in mass practice chunks. It helped me to see that getting students cramming wasn’t that helpful long term and opened my eyes to truly allowing them to productively struggle!

• Leslie Stevens

August 1, 2021 at 6:54 pm

Very helpful discussion here. I appreciate how Kyle talked about the idea that in the beginning of the year and start of a unit we’re doing the more basic problems and as time goes on, we’re working on more complex problems. I also am excited to dig in deeper on spiraling. I do some spiraling to check in on past concepts (that were on previous assessments) on my SBG assessments to give students a chance to show growth in those areas (or to see if I need to go back to those topics if forgotten). I’m not sure if that is part of what you mean as spiraling, but will need to dig deeper on that topic. Thanks.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now