Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler How do I transfer seamlessly from face to face to home learning and back again?

• How do I transfer seamlessly from face to face to home learning and back again?

Posted by Terry Theisen on July 12, 2020 at 5:33 pm

Should I do on-line learning right from the start so when we have to work from home we are familiar with the tools and LMS we are going to use or should we engage in meaningful debate while we have the chance. How can I engage all students in learning when it may be so indefinite. I am also to focus on accountability much more than last spring so there is clear evidence of learning. How do I keep that consistent as well.

Ashley Parnell replied 2 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Heidi Warrington

July 20, 2020 at 4:15 pm

Hi Terry! I’ve been thinking a lot about this question as my small private school intends to have in school classes but we of course need contingency plans if there is a local outbreak, state rules change, etc. My intention is to first work hard to set clear class guidelines and build good relationships in person so that the students communicate well with each other and me if we need to go online. We used Google classroom in the spring and it worked well for asynchronous learning (which was mandated by my head of school – that may be tweaked if we go online again). So in September, I’m going to start a google classroom for each of my classes, have assignments posted there as well as giving them out in class, and have at least one assignment a week that they have to turn in online (to get them used to scanning) and then I’ll post my comments on it online as well to get them used to looking for feedback there. This is my first year using the 3-Act tasks so after we have done a couple of them in class, I intend as an assignment to post a first act video, have them enter a few notice and wonders on a shared google document, and then the next day in class we will use those to move on to Act 2; my hope if we go online is that I can do something similar but use a zoom meeting for Act 2 and break-out rooms to have the students work on tasks at home before we re-join to discuss the solution. I also would like to have more regular feedback from the students if we go online so I’m thinking of requiring them to post in our google classroom each Thursday night what they are feeling confident about that week and what is still tough for them in math; we have a weekly Friday check in quiz so I figure a little reflection the night before would be useful. Would love to hear others ideas on moving between in person and online — I know it’s going to be tricky!

• Jon

Administrator
      July 23, 2020 at 8:14 am

This is a solid plan Heidi! @heidi-warrington I echo the importance of both building trust & community and also particulars about online work.

You’ll have a good mix of offline and online interactions to build math moments!

• Susan Amoroso

July 23, 2020 at 11:14 pm

Hi Heidi, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am also hoping to begin implementing 3-Act tasks this year, but I am having trouble wrapping my head around how students can share their work during online sessions. I’ve looked into Nearpod, but unless students have a stylus or touchscreen, it looks like they would have to “draw” on the screen using their finger and the touchpad, which seems tedious and challenging. Have you thought about how you will see/share student work? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• Ashley Parnell

July 27, 2020 at 5:34 am

Have you looked at Classkick and Knowledgehook? Students can take pictures of their work quickly/easily in both. In Classkick, students can also use the drawing and audio tool to explain their thinking.

• Regina Dill

July 21, 2020 at 8:30 pm

I am pretty sure we are going to plan for remote learning through CANVAS for everyone and use the time we see the students (one day a week) for check-in, intervention, and extension. Then is we have to go all virtual the kids will know what they are doing and we will be ready!