Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Q & A Calls How do I help high school students with growth mindset? – Discussion

• How do I help high school students with growth mindset? – Discussion

Posted by Jon on December 7, 2019 at 3:32 am

What are your big take-aways from this question?

What are you hoping to implement now?

What will you need more time to reflect on prior to implementing?

Stephanie Pritchett replied 2 months ago 10 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Sean Breen

March 12, 2021 at 5:32 pm

Good stuff indeed. A little off-topic but, I have been leery of the way “growth mindset” gets tossed around. Too often educators state that a student does not have a “growth mindset” as if it is the student’s responsibility to show up with one. You mention how we should live the mindset we want to see, but it is so much more effective when the entire institution embraces the potential of each student, in all subject areas. For me, the kid who says that he or she is terrible at math often feels that way about other areas of their academic and personal life as well.

• Christopher Ernst

April 6, 2021 at 1:29 pm

Couldn’t agree more with you Sean about the importance of the whole institution embracing this mindset. I’m sure you hear it from teachers of other subjects spreading negative mindsets about math. This is rampant in my building and something I’m trying to address individually with people as it happens.

• Allison Herrmann

May 17, 2021 at 8:07 pm

Amen!! A culture shift is definitely needed not only in individual classrooms, but in schools collectively!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        May 18, 2021 at 6:55 am

It takes time and a lot of intentional moves to create that culture. When forced, it can be all the more reason for people to push back. Finding that happy balance is always key.

• Christopher Ernst

April 6, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Again, like the last lesson, modeling and showing students what you value in your classroom every day. This point is being driven home, and something I haven’t been as solid at when I’ve reflected on my lessons.

• Diane Fortune

May 29, 2021 at 4:54 pm

Modeling what we expect to see is so important. I am a master mistake maker and I let the students know that mistakes are often some of the best ways that we learn new things. I love the idea of having a built in system for first try, second try and so on. Very smart ideas. Thank you!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      May 30, 2021 at 6:53 am

Thanks for sharing your reflection! So true. Let’s keep modelling mistake making and what we do when we make them… dust ourselves off and keep trying!

• Anthony Waslaske

July 22, 2021 at 12:55 am

If I could thumb up responses here, I would “but to reflect on our learning so it doesn’t fade away like footprints in the sand.” My takeaway is that modeling a growth mindset in the classroom is more than showing the YouCubed videos but applying the philosophy in the courses we teach. Allowing students to redo their work. Communicating that growth mindset matters on the whiteboards. In other words, it has to be part of the classroom culture.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 22, 2021 at 7:11 am

This 👆.
      Implementing by walking the walk is so key.

• Jamie BALLARD

July 31, 2021 at 11:23 am

I cannot remember where I read it, but I think it was a Jo Boaler book. Essentially, it said we say growth mindset with our posters and our mouths, but all students hear is the gradebook. How is my gradebook speaking to my students?

I feel like this module is helping me logistically put my beliefs into practice my beliefs and my gradebook is starting to speak that same message.

• Terry Hill

June 22, 2022 at 10:13 pm

I love the idea of giving students the opportunity to question their grade as long as they can show the proof that the grade is not an accurate reflection of their learning and growth. However, I also agree that it is difficult to get students to do that.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 23, 2022 at 6:34 am

Definitely takes time to build that learning culture. Some educators give up quickly because students don’t naturally do it. Finding ways to almost make it easy to do is important. Our show your growth days incorporate some time students can use to work on reworking / reassessing which is helpful.

• Stephanie Pritchett

July 26, 2022 at 4:09 pm

I’ve heard over and over again is the key. If the students like you as a teacher they will most likely learn from you. I like the idea of starting the first week creating class culture and relationships.