Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Homework or no homework, that is the question!

• Homework or no homework, that is the question!

Posted by Paula Selby on July 2, 2019 at 7:56 pm

I believe that at the middle school level, homework has some value.  When I assign homework, it’s usually a few problems that review skills from that day’s lesson, or previous chapters.  However, in Podcast 31 with John SanGiovanni, he described exactly my experience of  correcting the homework hijacking my lesson because I was having to reteach the concepts from the homework, which half the kids already know, and the few that need the review don’t really care!  ARGH!  So……how do we achieve balance, and how do we use homework effectively? And is there a place for it in the gradebook?

Katrien Vance replied 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jon

Administrator
    July 3, 2019 at 7:04 am

Hi Paula, 

Structuring homework take up has always given me some pause. Lately, I’ve chosen a few problems from the homework and had students move to the boards around the outside of the room to share their solutions with a random partner. The focus is to “talk” about what strategies they’ve tried. I then highlight a few as a class. I find this to be more interactive on their part than just me explaining the homework. What strategies are working for you? 

• Katrien Vance

July 4, 2019 at 2:03 pm

We are about to move to having much less homework than I am used to.  My goal is to come up with useful ways for students to reflect on or put into action things we are thinking about, such as “Teach someone at home about . . .”  or “Make up a problem [with certain conditions] and solve it . . .”  Does anyone have a good source of, or experience with, these kinds of reflective, more active, looking-for-understanding types of assignments?  Thanks, all!