Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• HI! Introductions

Posted by Kristen Hooker on May 6, 2020 at 7:39 am

Good morning,

My name is Kristen Hooker. I am a military spouse and mama to two rambunctious boys ages 3 and 6 this Saturday! I currently teach Math 8 and Honors Algebra 1 to 8th graders in an every day 86 minute class block. Next year we will transition to every other day 86 minute blocks and I am panicking. My kids this year were pretty low and we went really slow to make sure we didn’t lose anyone, but next year they will have math half the time. I’ve never taught it that way before and am freaking out about getting it all in while also providing meaningful time to explore and allow students to build their own connections. Any help or suggestions you have, I would LOVE and APPRECIATE! Thank you!

stephanie kinslow replied 2 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • stephanie kinslow

June 5, 2020 at 12:51 pm

Thank you for YOUR service, from a former military spouse! I raised my two daughters while my husband was in the USAF. I was teaching 3 of the 6 years he was in. We were stationed overseas and stateside.

I would definitely love to help you in anyway I can. I began teaching in 90 minute blocks, either rotating or modified schedule. The last three years I switched to middle school AND went to a traditional 45 minute schedule. Losing the time was harder on me than changing content level!

Here is a very helpful blog I found. https://www.maneuveringthemiddle.com/15-more-middle-school-routines-and-procedures/ I could have used these better classroom routines even teaching high school.