Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Hi from Kingston, Ontario

Posted by Carolina McDonald on November 18, 2021 at 11:29 am

Hi there,

I teach Grade 5 (for the 2nd year now) and I am working towards incorporating more problem-solving based math into my classroom.

I love that MMM is Canadian as so much of what I read/sometimes buy is based on the US common core curriculum. I also really appreciate that I can find problem-based lessons on specific expectations/concepts, as often when I am looking for a problem I do not know exactly what expectation/concept the lesson is driving towards. So far since joining the academy I have enjoyed viewing some of the replays of last weekend’s Summit, and since getting on the MMM email list last spring I have listened to some helpful podcasts.

Currently my biggest challenges are with working through a problem solving task and knowing what ‘math moves’ to make with individuals and groups, and then how to consolidate so that everyone gains something, while also assessing/keeping track of what I have covered in the unit, and in the curriculum. I will be trying out some of the courses that I imagine will help me with these questions.

Thanks,

Carolina

Jon replied 8 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Jon

Administrator
    November 19, 2021 at 6:12 am

Welcome Carolina! I’m actually from Kingston as well. I grew up in Amherstview and we visit back a few times a year.

You might want to start with the PD PATH on Building Resilient Problem Solvers

Reach out if you have any questions.

Jon