Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Hello from Texas

Posted by Ralph Head on July 22, 2022 at 7:00 pm

My name is Ralph and I am a teacher in Houston, Texas. This coming year will be my 11th year in education. Currently, I am teaching 5th grade math. I used several of the 3 Act Math tasks this past year and really enjoyed the response I got from my students. This coming year I wish to help my students become resilient problem solvers.

Kyle Pearce replied 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Jon

Administrator
    July 26, 2022 at 8:00 am

Welcome Ralph! We’re looking forward to your journey here! What would you say is one big pebble around using those 3-act tasks?

• Ralph Head

July 27, 2022 at 4:58 pm

There were several benefits from using the 3 Act Math Tasks. One, was the engagement of the lesson. Students were excited to do those lessons because they felt like they were solving a mystery. I also liked how the tasks fueled sense making because students were coming up with ways to solve these tasks. I also encouraged my students to use models and think about how they could convince a younger grade student their answer was correct. Additionally, I like the consolidation piece, I could take several student models and share them with the class to build upon our understanding as I was guiding students to our learning goal.

I am finishing up the workshop on “Transforming Your Textbook”. Our school adopted an new text book for the coming school year. As I learn the new textbook I want to adapt lessons to use them with the curiosity path.

Thank you guys for sharing these lessons and workshops with teachers. This information has helped shape my teaching so that I can promote more student thinking in my classroom.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        July 30, 2022 at 7:09 am

Fantastic to hear that you’re finding value in the learning! Would love to hear how things go as you begin this new school year!