Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Hello from Ottawa, ON

Posted by Christina Sutton on September 3, 2020 at 6:03 am

My name is Christina and I teach a grade 5/6 and 6. I have taught Junior Kindergarten, special education, and for the past 10 years, I have taught grades 5 and 6.

I was looking forward to trying to spiral my math curriculum this year, but our board has created long-range plans for the whole board for the whole year. This is to facilitate students being able to move between online and in-class learning. I will have to get creative on how I can do this.

Kyle Pearce replied 2 years ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    September 3, 2020 at 6:46 am

So great to meet you! My district is in the midst of doing the same for trying to keep everyone together as best as possible. Given the circumstances, it makes sense.

Are you willing to share what your board came up with here? I’d be curious to see…

Cheers!

• Lisa Hudson

September 3, 2020 at 10:38 am

I am in Texas and I was planning on doing a huge spiral this year but we have a mix of choosing totally online which will be asynchronous or totally in person. With these challenges, I will do my spiraling through daily warm-ups and weekly assessments. I think with the challenges of this year, that will be more manageable.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      September 4, 2020 at 6:38 am

Makes a ton of sense. I have been suggesting the same to many of my own colleagues as well. It isn’t the year to be burdening ourselves with “the best” spiral plan as we need to figure out how to just get through this year of curveballs first.

• Christina Sutton

September 3, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Here is a copy of what my board has come up with for elementary schools. It includes all curriculum areas. I am sure there is one floating around for 7&8 as well as HS. But I don’t have access to it.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      September 4, 2020 at 6:38 am

Bummer… it doesn’t look like it attached…