Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself Hello from Cincinnati, Ohio!

• Hello from Cincinnati, Ohio!

Posted by Betsy Thomas on March 17, 2020 at 11:12 pm

My name is Betsy Thomas. I teach 6th grade math and science in a 5-6 building in the suburbs in between Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio. I am also a math department head for my grade level.

This is my 25th year in education- but I feel like I started on a new journey about three years ago when I read Mathematical Mindsets, by Jo Boaler. My favorite book that I read that summer was by Tracy Johnston Zager.

Since then, I’ve changed how I do things- and after reading cognitive science research I’ve readjusted and changed them again. I am a fan of Marian Small’s work. I have listened to some of your podcasts. I am always looking in how I can make a better environment for my students- while recognizing that sometimes baby steps are best.

I’m often intimidated by technology. I have used some three act tasks- but only sporadically.

I’m here to learn more to support my students in the uncertainty of returning back to our buildings this year. I’m here to become more thoughtful and purposeful in engaging ALL the students that I will ever teach. 🙂

Betsy Thomas replied 2 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.