Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself Hello from CAMH in Toronto

• Hello from CAMH in Toronto

Posted by Sara Austin on December 5, 2019 at 8:20 pm

I teach in a Section 23 (Care Treatment Custody and Corrections) classroom at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). I’ve been there since 2004, taught part time at a different hospital before that. Our students tend to be mostly 18-20 years old with mental health diagnoses such as anxiety, depression, bipolar, and schizophrenia.

Of course it is a Special Education classroom.  I have taught all grade levels and almost all courses of high school math. I mostly teach Math. I also teach Phys Ed regularly, a fair bit of Science, and occasionally Family Studies (Food and Nutrition). It’s only a few students, each is taking a different credit in the same classroom. Right now I teach Gr 10 Applied Math, Grade 11 Workplace Math, Grade 11 Mixed Functions and Applications, Grade 11 Functions, Grade 11 Workplace Envrionmental Science, all in the same classroom at the same time (still trying to do that well).

I am also Interim Math/Science ACL for our secondary Programs, and I have done this job in the past as well.

I and my ACL colleague now on leave have designed a spiralled curriculum for the Grade 9 Academic Pathway this year. I myself have done a spiral of Grade 10 Applied Math which is working out great with my one student taking that course. I am also doing retention checks with my student, which is also working well. Since your ideas seem so good, I have joined this academy to spend some self-directed PD time learning better ways to teach Math both for myself and to share with my department.

Jon replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Jon

Administrator
    December 11, 2019 at 5:49 am

Hi there Sara, 

Thanks for sharing your background and teaching role. I think your perspective will be very valuable here in the Academy. 

We’re so glad the spiralling approach is having an impact with your students.