Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Posted by Addie Otto on April 27, 2020 at 4:14 pm

Hello to everyone out there!

My name is Addie and I am a high school math teacher from Red Deer, Alberta. I teach in an alternative program that supports at-risk students in the city along with those who need another course or who are upgrading. Most of my students attended for a 1/2 day 3-5 times per week, but of course now we are all online. Engagement is down overall, but those who are working are doing great!

I teach all of the high school math in my school – from grade 10 trades entry to grade 12 calculus – fun times!! Most of my courses are from our distance ed school (think correspondence) but my trades math program is my own creation (google classroom, slides, forms, projects, open-book tests). I’m always looking for ways to improve those courses because these are the kids who have struggled with math for years and are not self-starters.

I’m trying to look on the positive side with the pandemic and use it as an opportunity to really improve my practice – there is so much more information out there now, I feel less like an island! I’ve never really fit into the typical math teacher mold being an outreach teacher. My students are all on the asynchonous path anyway and I really want to figure out what strategies will work best for them.

I look forward to soaking in what I can from the academy while I have time in my day from professional development.

Addie Otto replied 2 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.