Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Gwyneth's Log

Posted by Gwyneth McIntosh on April 7, 2022 at 1:14 pm

1. Teach one block completely active – no self-paced booklets!

2. Teach for conceptual understanding – “Math means something!”

3. Focus on the competencies…HOW we do math (specifically explaining/justifying; persitence; estimating reasonably; visualizing; curiousity & wonder; mistakes as learning)

________________________________________________________________________________________

I have had these goals (except number 1) over the past few years, but have struggled with stamina. Having such inconsistent attendance in our student population, it is hard to to build community and as a result, to keep motivated as a teacher.

As a school we used to delivery soley “self-paced” style. As a staff we have been working on changing this as we recognize the importance of learning together. It can be tough at times, but we are seeing the benefits. Change is happening and that is exciting. As with other schools, COVID has not helped!

I am lucky that admin has recognized the challenges involved in this huge shift. They have given us team teaching opportunities. This year I am teaching my “Active Math 10/11” blocks with an awesome colleague. Our philosophies in teaching are aligned, which makes it so enriching and fun!

So…those are my goals.

Kyle Pearce replied 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    April 8, 2022 at 6:49 am

Love this! Even if attendance is inconsistent, you can still build community with those who are there using low floor, high ceiling problems. Have you checked out the problem based units section of the website?