Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Going In Circles [Day 1]

Posted by Jon on August 9, 2021 at 7:25 am

How do you plan to use this task?

After reviewing the Teacher Guide, do you still have any wonders or worries?

Once you’ve used the task, be sure to share what modifications you made either before or during the task and what you might do differently next time.

Jennifer Holda replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Jennifer Holda

November 1, 2022 at 6:12 pm

I’m being very vulnerable with the question that I am asking…but…I’m curious about why students are comparing the height of the cylinder and the circumference of its base…what is the intended connection that we want students to see? I can see looking at the distance across the base circle compared to the distance around…but why height? Thank you.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      November 2, 2022 at 7:21 am

Great question! It is to just give students an opportunity to notice and wonder about the circumference. Often times, people feel it will be the height and when they see the true power of circumference, they are often blown away. This gives us the excuse to explore the relationship In the teachers guide we recommend you explicitly having students play with relationships including the circumference and diameter to help tease out the connection. Hope this helps!

• Jennifer Holda

November 2, 2022 at 8:34 am

Yes…thank you. That helps a great deal. Looking forward to seeing you guys on Friday in Katy, TX.