Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Goal Digger

Posted by Ali Pravda Haas on March 18, 2020 at 2:32 pm

<ul type=”disc”>

• What have I been developing and continuing to work on? (How am I retraining my brain with regards to what a math classroom “should” look like and sound like?)
  • <ul type=”circle”>

• Math talks and collaboration activities
  • Open-ended (high-level thinking) activities
  • Formative assessment (when
    can I give students meaningful feedback; when do I give them helpful
    feedback towards their learning and in regards to where they are progressing too?)
  • Creating ways to encourage engagement and
    perseverance
Ali Pravda Haas replied 2 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
    • Ali Pravda Haas

March 18, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Have developed “Assessments for learning” for all of semester 1 grade 9 math class chapters and for first two units of Workplace and apprenticeship 10.

These are short “exit slips” after a section has been completed. About 4 questions total. Usually a couple of level 1-2 types of questions and one level 3 question (out of 4).

Quick and easy to track and give feedback as the unit progresses. Often will put something that is a common issue or commonly mistaken and that is needed for the next lesson/skill (e.g. difference between biweekly and semi-monthly).

• Ali Pravda Haas

March 18, 2020 at 2:43 pm

Encourage “AFL” to be done independently and closed-books (e.g. practice test), not for marks, encourage they use it for growth — review before quiz/exam.

• Ali Pravda Haas

March 18, 2020 at 2:48 pm

Math Talks and Collaboration:

Have had “Wipebooks” since October:

With them, I have conducted classroom “chalkboard splashes” (share your answer and converse) and think of different ways to solve this (use your fingers to indicate how many different ways),
      Group work: “Exceptional question” challenges, rotating papers (but students go to the next board instead), open-middle tasks, math menu tasks, and “explores”/”investigates”.