Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Progress Logs Getting my students engaged in assessing their progress

• Getting my students engaged in assessing their progress

Posted by Ronda Brown on March 27, 2020 at 2:39 pm

I hate it when I hear students say things “I just tried to match what you did on the board” or, “I didn’t really know what I was doing that unit and am amazed I did so well on the assessment.” I want to find a way to get students to actively show me they understand and feel confident in themselves about what and why they are learning things. I am, admittedly, afraid of a student portfolio as the task seems overwhelming with mistakes, time management, and like I am “feeling” my way to an assessment grade.

My goal for next year is to start with a set of learning goals to make it easier for students. In my wildest dreams I would love to have maybe 5-10 big things and have students create an online portfolio to show their learning under each.

Its my understanding that is not really how learning targets work, but I always seem to get bogged down in the little details and have yet to present them in a way that students have found useful.

My next goal would be to find some tasks that students can dig into and really see how math is essential to every day.

21 years in and I feel like a beginner! Here is to a good ride!!

Ronda Brown replied 2 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.