Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Feels like we're in limbo

• Feels like we're in limbo

Posted by Anne Skaggs on March 17, 2020 at 11:32 pm

My spring break was extended to a second week due to the COVID19 pandemic. Teachers report on Thursday and Friday but will be practicing social distancing and will be in their own rooms. We don’t know if we return to the classroom on Monday or if school will be canceled further. I’m not sure if I should start planning or wait and see what happens. I like to be proactive and be prepared for things so this is throwing my Type-A personality into a tizzy. How is everyone else coping with this?

Tara Militello replied 2 years, 8 months ago 7 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Jessie Fries-Kraemer

March 18, 2020 at 9:35 am

These are definitely uncertain times. We have one and half weeks of no school with the expectation that we provide some guidance to families followed by Spring Break. After that, who knows? I have the gut feeling that this may be the remainder of this school year. I am taking the approach of small steps. I am first using a platform that students are familiar with, Google Classroom, and then starting from there. I think going too big too fast will lose a lot of people. I am also adjusting my expectations somewhat, keeping in mind that all families will be in different positions for supporting their children. The ways that people engage are going to vary greatly. I guess what I am saying is I am going to try to do what I can as I can with a realistic mindset. Also I am going to keep at the forefront flexibility and meaningful connection to students. This first week I am trying to speak on the phone to every family. Getting a sense of where they are in response to this and establishing that we are a partnership seems like a first priority. Take care of yourself. You are not alone in this experience.

• Ali Pravda Haas

March 18, 2020 at 2:58 pm

Our provincial government has cancelled schools “indefinitely” for the rest of the academic year. We are still waiting to hear from the school divisions what this may mean exactly for student learning now and in the future.

I think patience in all things is what is necessary right now! We can’t control a lot of what is happening, which throws us out of sorts (especially the types of personalities that congregate into this profession), but we need to be the voice of sound reasoning at this [chaotic] time V

• Shelly Herron

March 19, 2020 at 3:37 pm

IIt the Corona virus. Which is asking us to help out the district. We all have been there for our students. As a district the teachers all stepped up and gave them online sites for our students. With us just getting over the Red forcEd and now this. It has been a few years for our students for being in limbo. I just want the students to have a great education. I hope that things get figured out soon for not lonely our students but for the staff too.

• Cynthia Doyle

March 27, 2020 at 10:37 am

I am feeling grateful for this time in Limbo. I am grateful that our students and staff are being kept safe. I am grateful that we will be able to make this work and that our board is providing training to help us with the transition to online teaching. I am grateful to be working from home in my jeans, at my desk by a lovely bright window with a cup of tea in hand.

• Gabrielle Bertrand

March 27, 2020 at 10:50 am

Thank you Cynthia for reminding us to be grateful amidst the angst, worry and unknown!!

• Tara Militello

March 27, 2020 at 2:02 pm

We have been directed to continue distance learning, but we are unable to require students to do the work or check in for attendance. We cannot grade any work that is done. We can only offer feedback. My concern is that if this distance learning lasts the rest of the school year, how can they justify passing these kids onto the next grade? I understand that it’s not feasible to retain a country full of kids, but the learning gap is going to be so great!!!

I hope you are all staying safe and following the rules of social distancing.