Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Face-to-Face vs. Self-Paced Instruction

• Face-to-Face vs. Self-Paced Instruction

Posted by Christina Rubalcava on August 7, 2020 at 6:49 pm

How do you determine what types of activities will occur “live” (synchronous) vs. self-paced (asynchronous)? I’m trying to help teachers to utilize their live virtual time effectively so students aren’t sitting through an online lecture.

Jon replied 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    August 8, 2020 at 6:43 am

Great question. We are advocates for using the online synchronous time for problem based learning just like we do in the classroom. Have you checked out the distance learning course yet?

• Christina Rubalcava

August 9, 2020 at 10:06 pm

I am viewing the distance learning course now. I agree that the synchronous time should be used for problem-based learning, but I’m wondering about the most effective structure for asynchronous activities. I know that we need to rethink our grading and assessment policies to include more authentic formative assessment. I’m curious what 9-12 teachers are asking students to do between synchronous sessions.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        August 10, 2020 at 7:57 am

I think mixing in some continuation or consolidation prompts from your synchronous sessions plus some purposeful practice makes sense in many cases.

• Jon

Administrator
        August 13, 2020 at 7:56 am

I agree with Kyle here. I’m mixing in purposeful practice along with exploratory Desmos activities.