Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Extra Student Help during online learning

• Extra Student Help during online learning

Posted by Rachel on April 10, 2020 at 4:42 pm

It is very difficult to see if my students are engaging with online lessons the way that I need them to. There is no one there to make them pause the video and not rush through online assignments. I’m trying to make lessons easy to use/follow to ease the burden on parents of multi-grade level children while trying to ensure minimal gaps for my students when they are promoted to 5th grade.

I need ideas for how to meet or reach these students when I see they are not doing their best.

Lisa Hudson replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • George Garza

April 10, 2020 at 11:04 pm

If your concern is seeing if students are watching your vids and engaging, the easiest thing would be to require evidence from the kids. The easiest thing for you to do, would be to require students turn in notes taken from the video, i.e. notes in google docs, or photos taken from paper.

There’s also a program called edpuzzle, which has a free version that will allow you to upload a video to it, either one you shoot, or even one from youtube, or even other online video libraries, and then insert pausing points where you can ask a question, either multiple choice (which it will verify and give feedback on correctness) or free response where you can see what they wrote later. It will also tell you who logged on, how far they are in watching the video, their scores and responses on the questions in the test. It’s a great tool for holding learners accountable

As for reaching the students that you are concerned about, I’ve found a simple zoom or google hangout meeting to be effective. I’ll set up a meeting with 4 or 5 kids at a time and work with them, just like I would if we were in the classroom.

I hope this is helpful. Do you think these ideas will work for you?

• Lisa Hudson

April 11, 2020 at 12:04 am

I have done Google Meets with individual students who have not been signing on or who need help with how to turn in assignments, complete assignments, etc. We ask parents to attend as well so that they will be better informed of the expectations.

My district has encouraged us to use this time primarily for review in math. We are allowed 2 lessons per week per subject with a completion time of no more than 30 minutes each lesson, preferably shorter.

I have also created a Fun Friday lesson with a short video (2-3 mins) about totally non-math topics. For example, the first video was about my favorite cupcakes. The students then complete a four-question Google form over the video. This will give them more insight into me as a person outside of the school building and help them keep connected. I have had positive feedback from students.

Our district and campus motto is “Grace”. More than anything, extend grace to your students because you never know what each individual situation looks like. Remember that your students just want to keep that connection to you.