Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• EWC's Progress Log

Posted by Erin Wahler-Cleveland on July 17, 2020 at 1:52 pm

This school year my goals are:

To teach primarily through problem-solving

Shift my direct instruction to a compression phase that comes near the end of the lesson

Create a weekly structure for tasks, practice, and assessment in whatever forms I am teaching in (in-person, remote)

Create a Grade 6 course plan based on spiraling big ideas from the standards

Kyle Pearce replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    August 2, 2020 at 12:19 pm

Love it. Some great goals for this coming school year.

If you had to pick one to focus on first, which would it be?

• Erin Wahler-Cleveland

August 2, 2020 at 9:50 pm

With 2 weeks left until starting to teach this year remotely, I’m focused on starting a spiral plan and selecting some key tasks for the first spiral. So I suppose I’m focusing on that plus teaching through problem-solving by looking for my first curiosity-based lessons!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 3, 2020 at 6:58 am

Love it.

Have you checked out some of the problem based tasks and units here in the Academy?

• Erin Wahler-Cleveland

August 9, 2020 at 6:58 pm

I definitely have! This week I’ll plan to select one to begin with.

I’ve also been working on getting familiar with Desmos and Braining Camp as resources to offer our full math department as we gear up.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        August 10, 2020 at 7:58 am

Fantastic. Keep us posted on which you select and how it goes!

• Erin Wahler-Cleveland

August 11, 2020 at 10:51 pm

Ok – at my school, we are starting with 2 synchronous & 3 asynchronous lessons each week in fully remote setting.

For my first two synchronous lessons, I plan to use the new Desmos “Get to Know You” activity, and the gummy worm estimation/subtraction task. I’m teaching 6th grade, but I think this will be a good one to focus on the structure of notice/wonder, estimates, and sharing thinking and build fluency with running class in an online space in a task that is both fun and very simple math for 6th graders. We’ll work through tech hurdles, then take on tasks with rigor/concepts better suited to 6th grade.

Thanks for the push Kyle!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        August 12, 2020 at 6:28 am

Love it!

Another option to up the game a bit might be the Hot Chocolate task as it would move them from subtraction to multiplication. Just a thought!

Good luck