Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Podcast Discussion Ep 74: When Do I Nudge and When Do I Coach? A “Where Are They Now?” Math Mentoring Moment.

Tagged: 

• Ep 74: When Do I Nudge and When Do I Coach? A “Where Are They Now?” Math Mentoring Moment.

Posted by Kyle Pearce on May 3, 2020 at 6:17 am

What are your big take-aways from this episode? 

What are you hoping to implement now?

What will you need more time to reflect on prior to implementing?

Stephanie Pritchett replied 2 months ago 7 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Christopher Ernst

April 7, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Big take-aways for me: I need to explore Peter Liljedah’s work more and I’m thinking about trying the random grouping for the rest of the year. Like Kirsten, the consolidation piece is the piece that I’m the least confident on right now and something I plan to dive into deeper. When she talks about “time to task” that’s something that I really connected with just starting this style of teaching. I find myself rushing at the end, or finding that some go much quicker than I’d anticipated.

I remember listening to her first episode and now this one, and intentionality is something that I really need to bring more into my classroom and understanding the “why” we do things. So far I’ve just been doing things because that’s what the “vets” have told me, but this is another push to challenge that thought.

Y’all were coaching me through the podcast there at the end!

• Jon

Administrator
      April 8, 2021 at 6:17 am

Great reflections here @ErnstCD Thanks for sharing!

• Allison Herrmann

May 17, 2021 at 8:45 pm

Not related to anything you posted here, but through this course I love reading your take aways Christopher! Thanks!

• Diane Fortune

May 30, 2021 at 12:13 pm

Keep focusing on the “why” and asking questions. And, what a great model for coaching – where people request to be coached!

• Jamie BALLARD

July 31, 2021 at 12:52 pm

The visual I see here is the one at the beginning of the module where learning is not linear and each students takes a different path. Teachers are the same. If you nudge too hard, they can regress to what they feel comfortable and successful. I love the idea of asking what do you want your classroom to look like and how does that compare to what is currently going on? What do you think the next step is? Asking the questions helps build the relationships and know where they are and how comfortable they are with change.

• Stephanie Pritchett

July 26, 2022 at 6:15 pm

This has been really good for me. It applies to all parts of our lives, not just math. Everyone is different and has different paths. We just need to be patience and learn some good active listening skills and some good questions.