Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Engaging students with rich math activities while teaching online

• Engaging students with rich math activities while teaching online

Posted by Melissa Drolet on April 10, 2020 at 7:08 pm

I’m wondering what the best way to engage the students in rich math tasks while teaching remotely…

George Garza replied 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • George Garza

April 10, 2020 at 11:14 pm

I haven’t done it yet, but I’ve been thinking that using zoom and it’s breakout room feature would be a good way to replicate a classroom and small group environment capable of allowing a 3-act math task to be facilitated. The learners could do their work on a common google slides, which would allow realtime collaboration, and you, as the learning facilitator, could rearrange the slides for the sequencing and consolodation step at the end. Google has a ton of tools for facilitating collaboration. I hope this makes sense. The idea just occured to me as I was going through the workshop, so it needs fleshing out, but it would allow the collaboration within a small group context, where you can just check in on a few learners at a time, allow you to address the whole group at the same time, and allow the kids to show each other their thinking.