Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Progress Logs Diane Davis' Progress Log

• Diane Davis' Progress Log

Posted by Diane Davis on May 25, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Goals for this summer to prepare for 2019/2020 school year teaching 7th grade Math and Pre-algebra:

• Establish the classroom culture of growth mindset
    • Establish the classroom culture for working in groups (random groups)
    • Establish the classroom culture for discussion of math concepts through tasks and activities
    • Use alternate assessments
    • One day a week for spiraling curriculum
    • Outline my curriculum using Big Ideas

Progress Log:

5/17/19 chapter 1 Mathematical Mindsets by Jo Boaler.  The Brain and Mathematics Learning

5/19/19 chapter 2 & 3 Mathematical Mindsets : The Power of Mistakes and Struggle & The creativity and Beauty in Mathematics  ** Use the activity of crumpling up the paper to get out all the “math frustration” and then tracing the lines to show the pathways formed as students make mistakes.

5/20/19 Podcast 2 Sparking Curiosity with the Curiosity Path

5/21/19 Podcast 3 Fuel Sense making with our 4 go to tools ** I want to find a hands on manipulative type tool for each of the big ideas I teach.  Equations:  need an online balance model.  Also checked out FreshGrade for standards based grading and using portfolio for assessments.

Signed up for Freshgrade.  Want to take one of the online help sessions for how to use Freshgrade. Maybe use this for just one class next year- not sure how to implement it right off for all classes.  Can it supplement the current gradebook and not necessarily replace it?

5/22/19 Podcast #4 3 Moves that Ignite Teacher Action:

5/24/19  Accessed the replay of the Q & A session from May 8 (?) on the Academy.  Looked up the website Youcubed and Jo Boaler’s Week Inspirational Math.  **Printed off the diagram of the big ideas for 7th grade math.  Will use these to overview my curriculum if possible.

5/25/19 Printed off the lesson plans for the first two days of Week of Inspirational Math.  Worked through and made notes for these two activities.  Plan to use these the first two days of school.  Should I use all of them?  It would certainly set up the classroom culture after four weeks of inspirational math!  Look at more of these tasks.

5/25/19 Read through the teacher’s guide for Mathematics In Context unit Graphing Equations.  There are some good tasks in here for graphing and slope.  I would like to adapt these for next year.

Diane Davis replied 3 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Diane Davis

June 5, 2019 at 12:47 pm

6/1-6/5/19 Read first six chapters of “5 Practices for Math Discussion” for middle school. Very good information! I feel much better about what I am going to do this fall!

• Jon

Administrator
    June 5, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Hi Diane,

I’m impressed how actionable and time detailed your goals are. I’m looking forward to watching and assisting you on your journey.

• Diane Davis

June 5, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Here is my biggest concern right now- I am afraid that as I am learning to use classroom discussion and discourse, that time will get away from me and I will not cover all the things I need to cover. Also, if I don’t go in order like last year, I am afraid I will miss stuff. How do I know what order to go in? Do i sketch out the whole year? How did that work the first year or so for you?