Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Developing a cross-curricular integrated Physics 11 and Pre-Calculus 11 course

• Developing a cross-curricular integrated Physics 11 and Pre-Calculus 11 course

Posted by Jennifer L’Arrivee on May 20, 2020 at 3:16 pm

I am in the process of developing a combined Physics (grade 11) and Pre-Calculus 11 course. This is something I have always wanted to try, but now have the approval to offer for September 2020. If anyone is interested in bouncing around ideas, let me know. It should be fun. I use the British Columbia Ministry of Education learning outcomes.

Jennifer L’Arrivee replied 1 year, 9 months ago 4 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Jon

Administrator
    May 21, 2020 at 11:10 am

@jennifer-larrivee this is a fantastic idea! I’ve often wondered about this. I’m in for support, keep in mind I have taught physics before but not in a long while. I’ll bump this post to the top of the water cooler!

• Jennifer L’Arrivee

May 21, 2020 at 11:23 am

That would be great! I am also combining Physics 11 and Workplace Math 11. I completed several tasks last year in WP Math and the kids loved it. I just focused more on data collection and analysis, creating graphs and general numeracy.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      May 21, 2020 at 3:56 pm

I’m excited to see what sort of ideas you come up with. We’re eager to offer some support and/or feedback as you go! Hopefully we can find a few other friends in the community who are eager to try something like this as well!

• Jennifer L’Arrivee

May 26, 2020 at 4:03 pm

Here is what I have so far. I have created two courses. “Real Math- Pre-Calc 11 & Physics 11” and “Real Math – Workplace Math 11 & Physics 11”. Here are the links:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yZ0OOpX_BGdRTj2lK98wtCl5Shwxc2S5VmJuME_M4rQ/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jXifV2WfLvKOuLJavpbwthjgKpihVTqLYerSdo0KAv4/edit?usp=sharing

I would love feed back.

• Jon

Administrator
      June 19, 2020 at 6:44 pm

Thanks Jennifer! I’ll have a look this weekend!

• Jennifer L’Arrivee

June 19, 2020 at 3:21 pm

I am hoping to change up my assessment practices too. I don’t know if the high schools are quite ready for full gradeless. @kyle @jon

• Jon

Administrator
    June 27, 2020 at 9:23 am

@jennifer-larrivee Have you had a chance to go through the Assessment For Growth mini course yet? We’re still building it out but Module 1 is there. https://learn.makemathmoments.com/courses/assessment-for-growth/

Assessment For Growth

• Jennifer L’Arrivee

November 20, 2020 at 2:07 pm

I am working my way through the assessment course. Thanks for the new modules! My “Real Math” course is going very well. A few bumps, but overall students & parents are pleased.

• Holly Blahun

February 2, 2021 at 2:50 pm

I like the idea! I am a Physics Major Math Minor B.Ed in Alberta and definitely see the opportunity. I have noticed in my 5 years of teaching, the students who take Math 20-1 (PreCalc 11) are often the students who do well in Physics 20. This year, I taught them within the same Quad and it was a lot of assessment and practice to be good at each course. Integrating them would cut back on lots of this repeated practice!

Unfortunately, our curriculums are slightly different – but what you have looks like a great start!

• Jennifer L’Arrivee

February 8, 2021 at 10:52 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have just finished the semester and for the most part the course went well. Hopefully, I can continue developing the content next year.