Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Curriculum Options

Posted by Katrien Vance on June 21, 2019 at 12:20 pm

I am writing my own curriculum this summer, pulling from many resources.  Last summer, I was all about “CGI” and figuring out how to use that approach more in my teaching. That led me here, and my teaching is 1000x better for it.  As I research this summer, I keep hearing about “CPM.”  I am not a trained math teacher, and I don’t teach in a public school, so I am often last to the party when it comes to new curricular ideas. The website description looks and sounds like it uses a lot of concrete models, offers interesting approaches, emphasizes problem-solving, etc.  Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with this program?  I’m trying to be picky, as @Jon says, and at the same time thinking how nice it would be if at least some of the activities were curated for me.   

Katrien Vance replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kathy Felt

July 13, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Hi Katrien,

I don’t have experience with CPM, but I have a suggestion. What grade are you looking for? If you are looking at grades 6-8,  have you looked at Illustrative Mathematics curriculum? It is free at https://im.openupresources.org/. It offers everything you need for the classroom and does it through inquiry. I like the way they tie concepts together for learning. Illustrative has recently released the high school curriculum, but it is not on Open Up. This curriculum really makes the students think. It is not spoon fed!

• Katrien Vance

August 3, 2019 at 10:15 pm

@kathyfelt, Thank you!  It took me a couple of weeks to get back to this conversation, but I am glad I did!  That is a really interesting resource.  I hope to be able to use some of their materials.  I am so grateful when things are free, as I pay for almost everything out of my own pocket.  Thanks again!