Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Ask For Feedback Curiosity Path and Learning Targets & Success Criteria

• Curiosity Path and Learning Targets & Success Criteria

Posted by David Thompson on September 7, 2020 at 1:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

Last year, I started adapting my teaching to follow the curiosity path through vertical whiteboard and 3-Act math tasks. One on my first observation, my administrator reminded me that part of my evaluation is on having a learning target and success criteria on the board so that students know what to expect and can gauge for themselves whether they were successful for the day. My internal response was that if the students knew what they were supposed to know at the start of class then it would kill the need for being curious about the math. It’s like telling the students the ending of the story…. Sure, some kids will be curious about the process, but many kids may just check out….

So my big question is: Are learning targets/success criteria compatible with the curiosity path? If so, any thoughts on how to write them so that it still leaves room for students to be curious and to fuel sense making would be great.

David Thompson replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jon

Administrator
    September 8, 2020 at 8:34 am

Hey David,

Great question. Often many of us are mandated to include the learning goals at the start! Administrators site research that this wills strengthen student learning.

That’s why I do write learning goals on the board but try to be less specific. Try to write goals that are bigger and keep a little mystery. You can phrase them as questions that need answering.

Like,

“How can frogs help us be more precise with estimates?” –> https://learn.makemathmoments.com/task/jumping-frogs-2/

definitely address the specific learning goals after the “cat is out of the bag”. Usually this is done at the connect/consolidation phase.

What are others doing to keep learning goals curious?

• David Thompson

September 8, 2020 at 8:55 am

Thanks John,

I will definitely try that out!