Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Progress Logs Creating Your Own Progress Log

• Creating Your Own Progress Log

Posted by Jon on April 24, 2019 at 10:04 pm

Everyone in the Academy is here because they have one or more goals relating to their math lessons – whether that’s to learn sound pedagogical teaching strategies or learning how to implement problem-based lessons or have step by step instructions on a number of classroom strategies or one of countless other things.

If I had to give our members just one bit of advice – it would be to start a progress log. Not next week. Now.

Accountability is key to reaching your goals, so I urge you – if you truly want to make changes in your classroom, now is the time to start your own progress log…

• Set specific goals/targets. Ultimately you’re in charge of your progress. What do you want to achieve?
    • Create a new thread. This will be YOUR thread. Where other members come to check out what you’re working on, see updates about your progress and post feedback, encouragement and advice.
    • Put your goals list right at the top of your new thread so it’s easy for other members to follow along and help you keep on the right track..
    • Choose an update schedule and STICK TO IT. Remember, you’re in charge of your own progress. I recommend updating your practice log weekly.

People who keep progress logs will achieve improvement with their classroom goals those who don’t. To that end, I invite every member to keep their own progress log, tracking goals, targets and accomplishments unique to them and their goals.

The moral of the story is that you are capable of supercharging your progression.

Now, go HERE and start YOUR own thread – that thread will be your progress log.

Kyle Pearce replied 5 months, 2 weeks ago 29 Members · 37 Replies
  • 37 Replies
  • Diane Fortune

May 11, 2019 at 10:36 am

I want my students to have a solid number sense by the time they leave first grade.

I also want to earn continuing ed clock hours that will count towards my Washington State teaching certificate, ideally by August.

• Ami Feldman

November 12, 2020 at 10:02 am

Hi Diane,

I’d love to keep in touch with you about our progress and ideas since we both teach first grade.

• Kelley Garbero

May 27, 2019 at 7:29 am

By the start of school, I would like to have lessons mapped out for the first semester of Algebra 1 is Canvas.  Canvas is our learning management system that we just adopted.

I will access a lesson every (25 total) other day on Making Math Moments Matter.  By the start of school 8/6.

• Tonia Smoot

August 14, 2019 at 1:30 pm

My goal is to learn how to utilize the technology of this site and my districts Canvas site. I also want to have at least one meaningful task per topic. 

• Robin Bergen

August 15, 2019 at 7:38 am

Hi Jon, two things; I was part of last night’s web cast and it just cut out while you were explaining your spiraling curriculum and you had your curriculum up on the screen. Can I have a copy of that. I am a visual person and if I see an example I can do better with my own spiraling endeavors. I also want to implement a portfolio day for my kids to go back and fix misconceptions and have more time with concepts that they have not become proficient with. Do you have a certain process for that?  Certain forms or a process that you found efficient. I can’t do all of this work and then assess in the same old way. I’m jumping in with both feet. I know that it won’t be easy and i’m Prepared for things to go wrong (part of the process of learning).  Just want to let you know that your podcast has been so validating and has given me permission to do what I have known to be right.  After 36 years of teaching i’m Excited to see what will happen. Thanks.  

• Jon

Administrator
      August 16, 2019 at 7:11 am

Hi Robin, 

We’re so glad that you’ve jumped in with both feet. Yes, of course I can share that google doc with you. It was my day by day for my ninth grade class. Also, I’ve written about the Growth/mastery/portfolio days  — I’ll share those posts too. Stay tuned because we’re preparing a mini course on that. 

You can find those posts and more here: http://mrorr-isageek.com/a-peek-into-my-classroom/ 

Check out all the posts in the Assessment section and the links to the day by day are in the Spiralled Curriculum section. 

• Maggie Ewert

August 19, 2019 at 4:59 pm

Maggie’s Progress Log

My long range goal is to build a solid program that balances concepts (first!) and procedures, creates enthusiasm and confidence in mathematics, and is flexible enough to evolve with my learning and growth, to be based on the students in the room, and to allow for pivoting the plan! 

Goal #1 – Find a few rich tasks to introduce in the first days/weeks of school that will act as a diagnostic for me, a review for the students, and establish our math community norms and routines. (I teach grade 7/8 but anticipate a range that corresponds to grade 3 – 10 in my room this year, so I am looking for low floor – high ceiling activities anchored in conceptual understanding of multiplication and division to start.) 

• Tina Peck

November 19, 2019 at 9:42 am

Tina from NY and this is my first progress log. My goal this year year is to enhance vertical learning strategy using Peter Liljedahl’s Building Thinking Classrooms Framework.

• Sharon Imbert

January 26, 2020 at 8:29 pm

My goal is to improve my knowledge of math instruction and math practices.  

Since the bulk of my training and my work has been in literacy, I feel the need to increase my understanding of math strategies, progressions of learning, and how to best teach all students how to improve their understanding of math concepts.  Through my own learning, I hope to help the teachers I work with to reflect on their teaching, and work to increase their own understanding of mathematics.  

As I observed teachers working with students during the math block last year,  I felt as though we were turning the pages in the math books we were using and did not have a DEEP understanding of the concepts that were being taught.  It seems that we were rushing too quickly into the algorithm and not giving enough time to the concrete & pictorial representations. In addition, our students are coming to us with “spotty” math facts.  The majority of our students were working within Make 10, Adding 10, & Doubles at the beginning of third grade.

So far, I have read Dr. Nicki Newton’s Math Running Records to get a better handle on how to assess and then provide instructional support for our students to become more flexible, fluent, & efficient in their math facts and I have led a book study using Dr. Nicki Newton’s Math Workshop in Action.  Through the book study, we have looked at creating a community of learners (and all that that entails),  explored openers, fluency energizers & routines (question of the day, My Friend Tony,  Estimation 180, wodb, esti-mysteries, splat, etc.).  We looked at the critical areas of learning at each grade level 3-5, according to CCSS, and how to design learning activities for students that will help them to develop fluency while  the teacher is working with small groups. Then as we progressed into Nov. & Dec. we began to look at number talks, numberless word problems and we also revisited our work with running records (how to continue to strengthen our students addition/subtraction facts as we begin to move into multiplication and division). This past months learning centered around uncovering misconceptions, and the progression of fractions from gr. 1-5.

I have a group of people that I am following that are helping me to increase my understandings- Dr. Nicki Newton, Anne Elise Record, Christina Tondevold, Graham Fletcher, Steven Kaplinsky, Jo Boaler, as well as several math practitioners on Twitter.  I am now adding Making Math Moments that Matter to my list.  I look forward to this journey.

Thanks for listening!

Sharon

P.S. I have purposely left the goal vague.  I have a lot on my plate this year and have been concentrating on creating a workshop model in grades 3-5.  I hope to clarify as I become more aware of the needs of the teachers I work with and my own understandings as I learn more from this community.

• Margaret Bright

March 19, 2020 at 1:25 pm

I want to learn how to create more engaging math lessons that encourage my 2nd grade students to really dig deeper into math concepts and build number sense. I would also like to understand how to best structure/map the curriculum for the year so that learning spirals and builds across understandings and standards.

• Abel Munoz

March 21, 2020 at 8:43 pm

So I have looked over quite a few progresses logs and most of the goals are quite vague. It that is common? I think it would not able to measure reaching a goal if the goal is vague. I would appreciate any help that you might offer on setting up a goal that is measurable.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  Abel Munoz.
  • Heather Boysel

April 8, 2020 at 11:21 am

Goal 1: Listen/engage in a podcast weekly.

Goal 2: Find/strengthen questioning and modeling strategies for my students.

Goal 3: Learn better strategies for assessing student understanding.

• Kim Sklepowich

April 9, 2020 at 11:11 am

Goal 1: Get caught up

Goal 2: Find/strengthen student engagement activities

Goal 3: Learn more about assessing through conversation and observation

• Sunni Burns

April 24, 2020 at 11:23 am

Goals for the academy

1) move from a traditional based classroom to a problem based classroom

2) improve my knowledge of technology and how i can use it for students to demonstrate their understanding

3) work towards a spiral curriculum (as much as allowed within my districts limits)

update on fridays

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 26, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Hi Sunni! Love this set of goals for your progress log!

Out of curiosity, what does a typical lesson currently look like in your classroom?

• Laura Johns

April 26, 2020 at 5:19 pm

My goals are to go into the next school year with lesson outlines that meet each student where they are in a challenging, empowering, and celibratory process.

I will spend at least two hours Monday, Wednesday, Friday on the academy

I will take notes and pass information on to my colleages.

• Natalie VanWyngaarden

May 17, 2020 at 11:52 pm

I have taken lots of P.D. in math with primary and junior math in the past. I have familiarized myself with some of the ideas from Making Math Meaningful and Jo Boaler’s Mindset books. My goal is to learn about rich math tasks that engage teenagers. In the younger grades lots of concrete hands-on activities were key. Intermediate students still need this and they are very much visual learners too. Lots of gaps in math. With the primary grades the biggest gaps were always in reading and less so in math. The trend changes as the students advance in the grades so that the gaps in math are wider. Many students lack basic math facts which is problematic. Students need to be prepared for high school so trying to address expectations from the younger grades is challenging. At a recent math conference I wondered about one of the presenters ideas about the spiral curriculum. Each unit was alternated weekly e.g., 1 week number sense then the subsequent week was a weeks worth of geometry etc. I liked how you addressed many areas of math in one of your videos. In the shot put video you used measurement, number sense and data management.

• Iris Windom

July 8, 2020 at 12:56 pm

My goals are:

To have my units planned prior to the beginning of the school year, so that I’m not struggling to keep up

To give my scholars a sense of joy and anticipation rather than fear and failure

To find ways to make math more relevant to my scholars

To be student data driven rather than curriculum driven

To see growth in each and every scholar from start to finish

To feel like I know what I’m doing

• Terry Theisen

July 8, 2020 at 2:41 pm

I am getting better at using the 5 Practices in class, but I struggled when it came to making the transition to home learning. I provided lots of rich activities, but I never felt like we had those meaningful discussions and brought focus to the learning goals when we were learning from home. My goal for the fall is to create a tempo and find a platform that will make the tasks as engaging and meaningful from home as they are when we are face to face.

• jane schneider

July 9, 2020 at 12:00 am

My Goals:

1. Learn strategies to help students with fact fluency and have a plan in place for SY 2020-21.

2. Learn strategies for teaching students to solve two step word problems.

• Melanie Boudreault

August 27, 2020 at 9:21 pm

My goal this year is to change at least one lesson per chapter where we will use one discovery method or activity that will be different than a worksheet.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 29, 2020 at 7:43 am

That is a great starting point. Start small and work your way to bigger goals! Keep us updated!

• Ami Feldman

November 12, 2020 at 10:00 am

First, I want to start my math classes with math thinking exercises. My to-do list is to find math thinking exercises to excite my students with. Next, I want to be able to schedule math classes that kids are excited about, relate to their everyday life, and make project based learning to include all subjects along with math. I also want to make it effective for hybrid and remote learning.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      November 13, 2020 at 6:36 am

Fantastic goals here. How do you think things are going currently? What is one small change you can make to help you get closer to those goals?

• Oddette Williams

January 16, 2021 at 9:14 pm

Change math instruction to Increase math dialogue among student.

• Jon

Administrator
      January 18, 2021 at 5:31 am

This is a great starting goal @oddette.williams What ways have you already started to change instruction?

• Carola Parker

April 18, 2021 at 4:05 pm

I want to encourage my students to deeper thinking with maths tasks and not just mimicking formulae or algorithms.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 19, 2021 at 6:41 am

Love it! Have you checked out the problem based units yet?

learn.makemathmoments.com/tasks

• Jennifer Gordon

June 15, 2021 at 5:23 pm

My goals are:

1) Complete the Assessment for Growth by end of June

2) Share with my math coach and brainstorm ideas for how that looks with our current grading platform

3) Map out 8th grade skills with the new standards and plan on assessments for at least the first unit of the 2021-22 school year.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 16, 2021 at 6:59 am

I love this!
      What a great course and awesome action plan to put it to use! Boom!
      Keep us updated on the progress!

• Jamie BALLARD

July 31, 2021 at 11:32 am

#1 Create a student-centered plan that promotes growth and allows time for students to work at their pace without grade penalties.

#2 Use a tool that captures student learning and communicates progress to students and parents.

#3 Being less of a firecracker in my department. I tend to get fired up about new ideas and changes, which immediately sends others into a fight/flight mode. I want to learn how to not stifle my own growth, but not turn off others to change.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 1, 2021 at 6:40 am

All 3 goals are great. I especially love how you are aware that others in your department might not have that same innovative stance and how you might be able to mentor without scaring them off. I too struggled with this for quite some time. Just like with students, we have to meet them where they are and try to nudge them along their journey without sending them into that fight or flight mode.

• Melissa Cairns

August 1, 2021 at 3:14 pm

Goals! So – these may change as we begin the school year, as I’d like to…

1. …Align my classroom goals with our School/District Improvement Plan.

2. Present opportunities for each student as an individual (as well as us as a class) to learn math skills in a way that is engaging, meaningful, and impactful.

3. To this end, plan units that include project-based problem solving for every unit.

• Anne Sheeter

November 6, 2021 at 12:07 pm

I would like to map out which tasks can lead to which goals in my 6th grade curriculum and use at least one a week to start moving towards a thinking class. I have already done some tasks with my sixth graders and have discovered that some of them have trouble working in groups of 3. They either try to take over or stand back to let others do it all.

I would also like to get better at modifying tasks to both lower the entry point and raise the bar for each end of the spectrum of abilities.

• Terry Hill

February 22, 2022 at 2:48 pm

I would like to develop ideas for Algebra 1 and 2 to begin the next school year with a lot of excitement. I would also like to complete the Making Math Moments course in 6 weeks or less.

• BRIDGET ADAM

April 13, 2022 at 7:14 am

My goal is for my students to do the math work, the problem solving and the talking. I want to be a guide for them and for them to feel like capable problem solvers when they head off to middle school.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 14, 2022 at 7:07 am

Love it. Best way to help support these goals is to always be asking them questions. Posing purposeful questions is what can help keep them thinking instead of telling.