Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Ciao from Bella Napoli

Posted by Sherri Zimmermann on October 22, 2019 at 7:09 am

My name is Sherri Zimmermann.  I am originally from Jacksonville, Florida.  I currently live in Naples, Italy and teach at a PK-6 grade school for military children.  This is my 3rd year as the math coach.  I previously was the Educational Technologist at the school, which gave me an opportunity to form relationships with the classroom teacher which I feel is key being a instructional coach.  I am isolated from other professionals in the same profession, so I find myself reading books and looking online for researched based resources.  I was drawn to this site when I saw the online forum in November.      

Sherri Zimmermann replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jon

Administrator
    October 25, 2019 at 7:24 am

Welcome Sherri, 

I totally get the feeling of isolation! I also taught overseas for a few years. What’s even crazier is that we often feel isolated in our own schools just because we view learning and teaching math slightly differently than our peers. 

What’s on your “idea list” for learning or sharing with your teachers right now? 

• Sherri Zimmermann

November 19, 2019 at 6:53 am

My staff is very responsive and love when I share, but they still worry about “fitting it all in” according to our systems math units.  So, I have been modeling Number Talks in the classrooms, formed cohort of teachers exploring Math Workshop Models, and finding the best resources/methods/foundations for all students.  

So just a few things…just read Jo Boaler’s Limitless Minds and Dr. Newton’s Running Records, so now I am going to go watch some of the Virtual summit from this summer.