Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Progress Logs Chris' Inspiration & Engagement Progress Log

• Chris' Inspiration & Engagement Progress Log

Posted by Chris Laurie on October 3, 2020 at 12:44 pm

I want to inspire more grade 5 student engagement across the curriculum.

1) Inspire curiosity

2) Value unique thinking, Value all points of view, Value Student sharing (use student reveal responses and try to keep my mouth shut and not brag my answer)

3) Apply 3-act math lessons from MakingMathMoments

4) Model for students the inquiry process (applying math principles within science experiments)

5) Share classroom successes with my staff

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Chris Laurie.
    • This discussion was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Chris Laurie.
    Kyle Pearce replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Chris Laurie

October 3, 2020 at 12:50 pm

We did the Hot Chocolate task.

By the time I assigned the 55 tablespoons. It was as though the class was lit on fire. One spark plug blurted out the answer was 165 glasses. As I wrote his response with a neutral expression, his face suddenly froze and he realize his response did not make sense and he self-corrected. I reinforced the phrase: “Wrong Draft Math” and encouraged him to refine his thinking.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Chris Laurie.
    • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      October 3, 2020 at 4:42 pm

Love it!! Lots of thinking going on there and I love how you stayed neutral when the student shared that answer. So important for us to facilitate rather than confirm or correct.

• Lisa Hudson

October 3, 2020 at 1:39 pm

I love # 2, value student thinking, and TRY TO KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT AND NOT BRAG MY ANSWER! You will improve as you continue along this path. From experience, I have found that I learn as much or more from my students’ thinking than they learn from me!. Al

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      October 3, 2020 at 4:44 pm

Agreed! Great progress log and number 2 in particular is one that certainly takes a lot of practice. With intentional practice, it will become more natural!