Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself Checking in from Coconut Grove, FL

• Checking in from Coconut Grove, FL

Posted by Kathleen Zwibelman on May 8, 2019 at 10:17 am

Greetings! I’ve been an educator for 48 years. I’ve been a reading clinician, private tutor, and have taught in 2 different Episcopal schools here in Miami. At my former school, I taught fourth-grade, all core subjects, and then moved to teach math to the fifth and sixth graders I have been at my current school here in Coconut Grove for a little over 8 years as a fourth-grade teacher.
    The fourth and fifth-grade students at this school have been taught math by our two math coaches. That will change next year as once again the fourth-grade teachers will be the math instructors. I’m excited about diving back into this as I’ve missed teaching math. My philosophy has always been that students need to understand the concepts underlying the algorithms in order to become more confident in their math abilities. I’m so happy to have found this website and to have joined this community.
    We are changing our teaching model for the coming school year. Instead of separate homerooms with one teacher, the wall between our two classrooms will be opened up. We’ll have 3 certified teachers and a maximum of 44 students in the space. The three of us are going to Atlanta next week for a conference on personalized learning and co-teaching. It certainly will be a new adventure, and I’m looking forward to connecting with colleagues here with whom to share this journey.

Kyle Pearce replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • George Garza

May 8, 2019 at 10:13 pm

Hey Kathy, I’m going to be doing something very similar except at the highschool level, for me it will be 3 teachers, 70+ students and the space of three classrooms. I hope you and your schools investment pays off. Thanks for sharing!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    May 11, 2019 at 6:41 am

I love this new team teaching model you’ll be diving into next year, Kathy! So happy that you’re here with us and I’m sure we all have a ton to learn from you with your 40+ years of teaching experience.

Welcome to the Academy!