Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Tagged: 

• Posted by Hallie Balcomb on June 13, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Hi All,

I love 3 Act Math tasks and my students do too. I wonder how others help students document their experiences to use later on. With an eye to spiraling my curriculum, I would love to have them go back to their thinking and problem solving from previous tasks. Have others used journals or digital reflection in an effective way? What are the best ways to include students who have trouble expressing themselves in written form?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Best,
    Hallie

Hallie Balcomb replied 3 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    June 15, 2019 at 7:44 pm

Great question @halliebalcomb!

Just before I left the classroom to take on the K-12 Consultant role in my district, I had students with their own personal “math blogs” for reflections. It was helpful, but I didn’t build enough time each day for students to reflect on a regular basis. I’m also thinking that maybe having it in a written journal could be better as well rather than having it out there for the whole world to see. When I go back to the classroom I intend to build in journaling as part of their “ticket out the door”.

• Hallie Balcomb

June 19, 2019 at 9:44 am

Thank you @kylepearce for your response. 

I second the need for reflective practice to feel routine. Too often, I wait until the close or start of a marking period to prompt reflection. The moments in between, small and big, are when I should ask students to celebrate growth and devise plans for improvement. 

Perhaps a written notebook could be this more frequent practice and students could select certain work with a simple photo to highlight on an online portfolio or blog. 

Thank you again for helping me get my wheels turning on this. If anyone else has suggestions, please share!