Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Can everything be taught through tasks?

• Can everything be taught through tasks?

Posted by Mary Olsen on March 5, 2022 at 5:44 pm

I am teaching a new class this year of algebra readiness. It is meant to prepare 6th, 7th and 8th grade students for Algebra 1 in high school by filling in the missing gaps. I love the idea of using tasks but I cannot see how to teach fraction operations, division, Integer operations, or factoring just using tasks.

I am trying to use hands on manipulatives when I can. We modeled integer addition with integer chips and number lines. I wanted to do the same thing with multiplication and division but I found the students just started playing with the pieces instead of learning to model with them. The ones that tried it, it truly helped.

Now that I need to review fractions, more like reteach fractions I want to keep them engaged and help them better understand the process without making it the boring I do you do process.

So how do you teach the process of fractions, or integer operations through tasks. If not through tasks how can I engage these students that did not get it when taught previously?

Jon replied 8 months, 4 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies