Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Block scheduling – attention and retention. How to structure?

• Block scheduling – attention and retention. How to structure?

Posted by Rachel Rohan on July 23, 2019 at 11:27 pm

My Algebra 1 honors students were all given 100 minute (!?!) every other day (!?!) periods with me last year and again this upcoming year. <span style=”color: inherit; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>I want to craft some potential “class period outlines” that will keep their attention and engagement while including some much needed spiraling.</span>

I have only really seen / tried your traditional class outline of bellwork, notes, practice. I am proud of some collaborative activities I’ve given, though the message is still “get the problems done (correctly) so you can be completed for the day. If not, it is homework.” Lose-lose.

I REALLY want to change this for many reasons. However, I feel muddled when it comes to logically and productively structuring an entire 100 minutes that includes discovery-based learning through good problems and tasks, and collaborative structures. What I am asking for are some suggestions or experience with a potential outline of anyone’s blocked secondary class period. I realize each day we will adapt to the needs of the students and the content, but I want to see a roadmap before I decide which detours to take!Beers

Kyle Pearce replied 3 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Shawn Hershey

July 24, 2019 at 5:07 am

What an amazing gift to have 100 minutes.  Love the road map idea.  Will definitely be helpful.

• Rachel Rohan

July 24, 2019 at 10:18 am

It was so different from 50 minute classes and even a previous 86 minute period schedule in the past. The 1st week was tough to adjust to last year (attention span is still only so long, rightfully so), but I’d rather play around with 100 minutes than wishing students could get into a flow state of work in a 50 minute period.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    August 4, 2019 at 8:06 pm

Fantastic goals, @rachelrohan

We all likely came through a similar learning experience of homework take up, copy a note, examples, then do homework problems so this can be hard to shake up initially. 

Have you attempted any 3 act math tasks such as those you can find in the Curiosity Task Tool here in the Academy?