Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Biggest Struggle

Posted by Trina Gratrix on March 4, 2021 at 4:29 pm

My biggest concern/area of growth is getting kids to engage. I am fully remote, they don’t turn on their cameras, and they don’t do anything. I’ve tried different activities (including 3-act tasks), and many times they completely shut down. I’m at at point where I don’t want to Zoom into my classroom anymore.

Trina

Kyle Pearce replied 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jon

Administrator
    March 5, 2021 at 6:16 am

@Trina.gratrix Super tough 💜 Have you taken our Making Math Moments From A Distance course yet? We made it specifically to engage while teaching remotely. Check it out in the COURSES area.

• Trina Gratrix

March 5, 2021 at 10:42 am

Jon, Thank you for the ❤. I haven’ yet taken the Making Math Moments from a Distance, but I did take the Making Math Moments that Matter Full Workshop, and I’m working to implement those ideas in my classroom — with mixed success.. The “from a distance” one is next on my list.

Thank you for what you are doing here.

Trina

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        March 6, 2021 at 6:28 am

We feel for you, @trina-gratrix!

I’m wondering also about accountability. It might be worth focusing some time thinking about how you can strengthen the communication with parents? I know it seems like a lot of work, but maybe schedule time for 5 calls a day to keep parents up to date on how well (or how disengaged) their child is. Approach it from a positive that you’re here to help and not looking to get students in “trouble”… that you’re concerned that the model is not working well for their child and here is a first step (or two) they can try to improve?

• Trina Gratrix

March 7, 2021 at 1:47 pm

Thank you! I will do just that. Hopefully I can find something that will work.. Its hard to watch my kiddos feel unsuccessful.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        March 8, 2021 at 6:43 am

Oh it is such a terrible feeling. Keep us posted!