Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Balancing Act

Posted by Stacy Trevino on May 12, 2020 at 11:45 pm

I have been listening to the podcast, catching up on episodes from the beginning, and I am (1) validated that some of the things I am already doing are cited as “best practices” within this math community (insert pat on the back here!) and (2) excited to integrate 3 Act Tasks and Estimation and “All. The. Things” into my math class. I’m struggling, though, as I sit down and try to think through a unit plan; I can’t wrap my mind around how it all fits! In our school we have Math Agreements that dictate some of the daily/weekly tasks that are “must-dos,” common assessments (pretests, quizzes, tests, retests), number talks, PBILs, etc., so I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed at the logistics of how I can honor the top-down expectations given to me AND integrate some of these new (to me) practices into the classroom.

Kyle Pearce replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    May 14, 2020 at 10:00 am

Hi @stacy-trevino

We all need to give ourselves a firm pat on the back from time to time. As educators, we tend to always point out or notice our shortcomings and forget to celebrate the many amazing things we’re already doing. Great work!

Rather than starting with a unit plan, maybe start with a single lesson. What might a single problem based lesson look like? From there, maybe you can build out to a unit.

A great place to start might be the Shot Put task, which provides a 6 day unit… however just look and think about how you’d organize day 1 first. Then, start working your way through the rest of the unit.

I’d be super curious to hear how that goes!