Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• ASSESSMENT

Posted by Betina Gross on May 18, 2019 at 4:34 pm

I have been looking more closely into spiralling. I just finished the mini-course and I’m thinking about how to start doing assessment by learning goal. I must admit, I am not as familiar with this as I should be. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

Jon replied 3 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • George Garza

May 18, 2019 at 5:28 pm

I’ve been contemplating assessments with spirals too.  I think it comes down to being familiar enough with what you covered and assessing for that alone.  My school is performance based, so all of our assessments are already focused on learning goals.  So for each quiz, we have listed out which standards are covered on the quiz, and the quiz’s are written with that in mind.  Unit tests cover what all the quiz’s cover up to that point.  Students are then given a score that shows them their proficiencies by learning goal.

Hope this helps, or at least provides a point to build on.  As I said, I’m still sorting this out too.  Assessments and homework are both areas that I’m figuring out how they fit into an inquiry learner driven classroom.

• Betina Gross

May 19, 2019 at 10:24 am

Thanks George. That helps. Do you have a spreadsheet for each student that you keep track of their progress for each goal?

• George Garza

May 20, 2019 at 4:19 am

Effectively, we have software that lets us track their mastery.  I want to change how we assess their mastery, as currently its only done with a computer based test, but for now, its what we have.

Glad I could help!

• Jennifer Hardin

May 20, 2019 at 12:37 pm

My issue with assessments is that it’s difficult for me to create standards/skill-based quizzes that only measure one standard or skill. This is partly because good tasks often include multiple standards but also because I find that there is never enough time to assess every little skill. I find it more useful to know if a student can put those skills together to solve a problem. I need a mindset shift when it comes to assessing, which is something I am continually thinking about.

One option, I think, is to decide on the “essential” skills and standards you believe must be mastered for a student to be successful in the future. Then focus on formally assessing just those standards. All of the others can be done informally or embedded into the quiz problems.

• Jon

Administrator
      July 15, 2019 at 6:31 am

Hi Jennifer (@jenniferhardin) , 

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about my assessments too. I agree with you that I want my students to solve problems (which may include many skills). One tip that you may find useful is that when assessing a skill, give them the problem to solve, but then only focus on the skill you want to assess. Then some other time you can focus on other skills. 

You can narrow down when you need to. 

We’ve opened up two new modules in the Spiralling mini-course that you might find useful. We interviewed a member about their experience planning their course. Check it out