Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Aanii, Hello, Bonjour

Posted by Tara Stanton on November 27, 2019 at 1:19 pm

Hi! My name is Tara, and I am a teacher at Bruce Peninsula District School in Lion’s Head, Ontario. We have the distinction of being a) one of the only UNESCO schools in Ontario, b) one of the smallest schools in Ontario (currently at an enrollment of 80 students!). Our school is situated within a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. The environment is a key focus of many of our studies here at BPDS. I am a Music/English/Drama teacher who has been teaching Grade 10 math for the past four years. Small school means diversification when it comes to subject areas! I’m hoping to gain some insights to help me reach all of my students and help them to be successful. I am very aware of the fact that I teach math the way I was taught, and I really don’t want to do that. Thanks to Jon and Kyle for providing me with this fantastic forum! 

Jon replied 2 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Jon

Administrator
    December 3, 2019 at 5:54 am

Welcome Tara! 

Wow! That is a small school. I was in Lion’s Head last year. Passing through on my way to Tobermory! 

We’re glad you’re here with us in the community. I think this is perfect for teachers who are in small schools. 

What have you learned so far to apply to your classroom to break away from that traditional method that you’re looking to step away from?