Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Posted by Heidi Cheng on June 26, 2022 at 12:31 pm

As for my math classroom, I have started encouraging my students (after attending PD sessions by Marian Small, you guys and reading Jo Boaler’s books) to use manipulatives, visuals and present or use other ways to represent their solutions. I think I am challenged to have them generate their solutions. I mean, as they use manipulatives, use visuals and different representations, they do come up with their solutions. As a teacher, I think I lack confidence to help them consolidate their learning. I was a weak math student and though I believe in growth mindset, I am learning as I teach.

Heidi Cheng replied 5 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    June 27, 2022 at 6:46 am

Congrats for taking this leap! One of the best ways to build your own confidence is to “do the math”. This is the only way you can begin to understand the approaches students might use and to explicitly prepare to make connections across the different representations students might use. It is also helpful to do this with other teachers so you all can compare your work / anticipate what your students might do with a variety of perspectives / approaches.

• Jon

Administrator
    June 27, 2022 at 6:46 am

@heidi-cheng We’re all on a journey. Like ours, yours isn’t over! We have confidence that your learning will grow.

• Heidi Cheng

June 27, 2022 at 12:08 pm

Thank you for all your encouraging words!