fbpx

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class 9 Spiralling Starter Strategies – Discussion

• 9 Spiralling Starter Strategies – Discussion

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    December 7, 2019 at 7:00 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

• Michelle Browne

March 23, 2020 at 1:41 pm

I can take away that perhaps I have been able to spiral the warmup…using Daily Math, it touches on all the strands and asks questions from previous units. I think perhaps a bit with my homework assignments also…I like to touch on things we have done (but still within the unit), and not send them home with brand new work…I could do a better job of mixing in questions from previous units also.

I wonder which unit I should start with to spiral!

• Kecia Hall

March 23, 2020 at 6:02 pm

What I took away from this lesson is also that I could do a better job of spiralling the warm-ups, individual practice, and homework assignments. I have definitely noticed especially in my geometry courses that the students would greatly benefit from more time to digest the current lessons as well as review previous concepts and skills.

• Victoria Murphy

March 25, 2020 at 1:54 pm

In sixth grade we start the year with operations of whole numbers, decimals and fractions. It actually drives me crazy because it is dry and pretty meaningless. Meaning..there is little connection the way we have taught it in the past. I would LOVE to instead treat these skills as my big topic to be sprinkled into the other topics such as geometry, data, ratios and expressions/equations. I think that is how I am going to approach my planning with spiraling.

• Kristi Hill

March 27, 2020 at 3:12 pm

I like the idea of laging homework. I have used this successfully in the past and feel that it provides students time to “get” the concept better so that they are not trying to recall just learned materials at home. I wonder about the spiral activities versus Intentional tasks with multiple connections. They seem very similar to me, I don’t really see the difference.

• Barb Fleming

April 5, 2020 at 11:29 pm

I like so many of the strategies. I think I will start with spiraling my warm ups and interleaving my assessments. That seems really manageable, although I’d really like to dive into dividing units into spirals at the beginning of the next school year to see how that goes. Love the idea that it eliminates the jamming in of the last unit at the end of the term.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 6, 2020 at 9:03 am

To me, that is a great first step and probably provides some of the greatest benefits. As you continue teaching a grade/course and start seeing the interconnectedness of the content, then spiralling your units is probably a great place to go!

• Jessica Williams

April 8, 2020 at 9:41 pm

My biggest focus of the strategies will be to spiral the do now and interleave the assessments. Absolutely love the idea of Think Back Thursdays as well.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 9, 2020 at 7:54 am

Always best to start small. I love your next steps. Let us know how it goes!

• Scott Cortez

April 25, 2020 at 3:48 pm

The biggest take away I got from the video is there are multiple ways to spiral. The two I am going to focus on and then decide on one are Spiralling Warm-Up or Think back Thursdays. Those two seem more doable and flexible for my students. At my school site, we have minimum days on Wednesdays and our math instruction is cut short. But with the unknown of the upcoming school year, I am not sure how our weeks will look like.

What I am wondering what would spiraling look like if the traditional school model is changed next year because of the pandemic? I would have to probably not do a Think Back day because the time I am with students will have to be used efficiently and I am not at the level with my math instruction yet. Right now I will further my learning on how to spiral with Warm-Ups.

• Naomi Walsh

May 2, 2020 at 6:20 pm

Main take away is that you are still covering the curriculum I like the ideas of shorter spiraling cycles as a means of showing coverage of curriculum entirity.

• Lisa Hudson

June 9, 2020 at 10:50 pm

I couldn’t pick just one spiralling strategy, instead, I am going with three. The first one is to pick a buddy and I feel fortunate to have a teacher who I feel will be willing to work with me on an overall spiral plan. I will definitely work on making my warm-up problems spiral and reach back to continue building retrieval strength. I will also use some form of Think Back Thursdays (don’t know which day) most likely in small group instruction to spiral back to topics on which students are struggling.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 11, 2020 at 4:20 pm

@lisa-hudson you get to make the rules! You want 3, you ROCK 3!! 🙂

So glad that it resonated and it sounds like you’re crafting an action plan.

Way to be!

• Stacy Trevino

June 19, 2020 at 8:19 pm

In many ways, this was encouraging that I haven’t been a complete “failure” in the spiraling department in the past. My teammate and I have been using a spiraled daily math warm up for the past two years, and it feels like an “easy” tweak to shuffle around our Number Talks. We may also add a “Think-Back Thursday”, too.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 19, 2020 at 8:55 pm

Ah never think of anything we are newly learning / implementing as a failure of the past. When we learn new ideas, we implement new ideas!
      Glad to hear you’ve already been doing your own spiralling routine already!

• Andy Neels

October 7, 2020 at 5:01 pm

I am already spiraling my warm ups, so I think I am going to choose 1 topic or unit right now and break it up into manageable chunks and spiral that unit for now.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      October 8, 2020 at 6:42 am

Keep us posted on your progress!

• Jaana Gray

March 6, 2021 at 8:43 pm

I have already started doing this with my warm ups and I am ready to pick a strategy and start spiralling. 🙂

• Karynn Faivre

August 24, 2021 at 12:32 pm

Although I would like to rewrite our curriculum maps, it is unreasonable for me to think that can happen for this year. As such, I feel confident that I can spiral using several of the starter strategies. I already create warm up activities and can add in questions from prior units. I have tried several times to implement a set spiral back day but did not follow through because I needed that time to help students prep for exams or deliver additional content. Because I feel better about developing students who are doing more of the thinking this year, I envision that we can earn back time formerly allotted for review. Of the 9 mentioned, the one that recommended spiraling a concept is where I will allocate my energies. Probability strands are supposed to be touched in multiple courses, but teachers often overlook them because they are loosely tied to the course content. I will spiral these throughout the year. (Great pre-vacation actiivities!)

• Betsy Murphy

September 7, 2021 at 9:23 pm

I have always used my start of class learning activities as an opportunity to spiral content and keep students familiar with content. I am keen to interleave assessments, this has not been something I have tried, I am working on my first check for understanding for this new school year and will begin with this.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      September 10, 2021 at 8:41 am

Love it. Keep us updated on how it goes!

Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now