fbpx

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections 2020 MMM Virtual Summit 6 Actions for Productive Struggle – Discussion

• 6 Actions for Productive Struggle – Discussion

• Jon Orr

Administrator
    November 7, 2020 at 3:29 pm

What was your big take away from this particular session?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

• David Lai

November 11, 2020 at 4:42 pm

This is great! I really enjoyed watching this video and made me think deeper into my own practice of teaching. It’s true that in our society we perceive struggle as something “bad.” Thank you for sharing your insight and activities with us! I can’t wait to try some of these out in my “virtual” classroom

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      November 16, 2020 at 6:26 am

So true! Let’s embrace the struggle and help our students understand that anything worth doing is challenging!

• Robin Bynum

November 13, 2020 at 10:22 pm

I really enjoyed this session! I am planning to use many of the ideas that I learned to help engage my students and hopefully encourage them to take a deeper look into the math concepts discussed in my classroom.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      November 16, 2020 at 6:26 am

Awesome! What specifically are you going to try and implement?

• Thomas Rehm

November 14, 2020 at 8:21 pm

I really enjoyed this talk. The main take away from this was, instead of focusing on rescuing the student and lowering the cognitive demand of the activity, give them time to think of what they need to know to solve the problem.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      November 16, 2020 at 6:27 am

Awesome! Also, I find asking students focusing questions instead of funnelling questions helps a great deal!

• Nicholas Rhodes

December 13, 2020 at 2:07 pm

This was a great presentation! I am definitely going to check out his books “Mind the Gap” and “Productive Struggle–Math”!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      December 14, 2020 at 7:36 am

I thought so as well! I really loved how he shared his views on the gradual release of responsibility model – which we also try to shy away from!

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now